question for nj guys

Charlie read your FID card, it states "This is to certify that John Doe residing at this address is hereby granted to purchase and carry rifles and shotguns pursuant to provisions of N.J.S 2C:58-3 and 2C:39-5 with amendments and supplements." Your hunting license is NOT proof you are a legal to own, buy or transport a firearm. The pennsylvania residents moving into NEW JERSEY or just hunting here there is a different protocol for law enforcement to check your eligibility.

NJ statute specifies "holders" of FID cards, not that you must have the card in your possession. In leu of being a FID "holder", a valid hunting license is required and permitted.
Ever wonder how a shooting range or sporting clays place can loan someone off the street a gun? Maybe YOU should read the statute. Have fun, it will
take a while!

NJ statute specifies "holders" of FID cards, not that you must have the card in your possession. In leu of being a FID "holder", a valid hunting license is required and permitted.
Ever wonder how a shooting range or sporting clays place can loan someone off the street a gun? Maybe YOU should read the statute. Have fun, it will
take a while!

Ok charlie,
What I am getting from you said is that during hunting season having your hunting license counts to drive to the boat ramp and carry the FID is to buy thanks that's what I needed to know didn't mean to get a heated discussion

Ok charlie,
What I am getting from you said is that during hunting season having your hunting license counts to drive to the boat ramp and carry the FID is to buy thanks that's what I needed to know didn't mean to get a heated discussion

Not exactly,, but do you have a valid nj FID card? If so go hunting! Dont worry about bringing the card

Well as a POLICE OFFICER I hate paper work so if you want to find out who is right ask the NJ STATE ATF or call the attorney EVAN NAPPEN or wait until I get someone who doesn't have their card and see how much they will tell their friends they better have it with them from now on.

The non-residents that hunt in NEW JERSEY must follow these set forth guild lines.

All firearms transported through the State of New Jersey:
The following guidelines are provided in order to assist law enforcement officers in applying New Jersey's firearms laws to persons who are transporting firearms through the State of New Jersey.

1. New Jersey laws governing firearms permits, purchaser identification cards, registration and licenses do not apply to a person who is transporting the firearm through this State if that person is transporting the firearm in a manner permitted by federal law, 18 U.S.C.A. 926A.

2. This federal law permitting interstate transportation of a firearm applies only if all of the following requirements are met:
    A.
    The person's possession of the firearm was lawful in the state in which the journey began;
    B.
    The person's possession of the firearm will be lawful in the state in which the journey will end;
    C.
    The person is transporting the firearm for lawful purpose
    D.
    The firearm is unloaded
    E.
    The firearm is not directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle
    F.
    The ammunition is not directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle
    G.
    If the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the firearm and ammunition must be in a locked container other than the vehicle's glove compartment or console;
    H.
    The person is not

a convicted felon
    a fugitive from justice an addict or unlawful user of drugs, or
    an illegal alien
    I
    The person has not

been adjudicated to be a mental defective
    been committed to a mental institution
    been dishonorably discharged from the armed forces, or

renounced his United States Citizenship

3. A person who is transporting a firearm though the State of New Jersey in the manner permitted by person's possession 18 U.S.C.A. 926A, see Section II above, need not give notice.

4. Procedures for Investigation of Conduct Involving the Possession or Transportation of Firearms
    A.
    An officer who reasonably suspects that a person is transporting a firearm in violation of New Jersey law should make reasonable inquiries in order to confirm or dispel that suspicion.
    B.
    In a case where circumstances reasonably indicate that the person's possession and transportation of the firearms my be permitted by 18 U.S.C.A. 926A, the officer should make reasonable inquiries in order to determine whether the person's possession is permitted by that federal law.
    C.
    If reasonable inquiries lead an officer to conclude that the person's possession is lawful under either New Jersey law or 18 U.S.C.A. 926A, as described above in Section II, the officer should promptly allow the person to proceed.
    D.
    Whenever an officer has probable cause to believe that a person's possession of a firearm is in violation of New Jersey law and not permitted by 18 U.S.C.A. 926A, as described above in Section II, then the officer should make an arrest.

Last edited:
Charlie D yes I have read it N.J.S 2C:58-3 and yes it does take a while but when you read it, here is your answer to the GUN CLUB statement.

2C:58-3.1. Temporary transfer of firearms
1. a. Notwithstanding the provisions of N.J.S.2C:39-9, N.J.S.2C:58-2, N.J.S.2C:58-3 or any other statute to the contrary concerning the transfer or disposition of firearms, the legal owner, or a dealer licensed under N.J.S.2C:58-2, may temporarily transfer a handgun, rifleor shotgun to another person who is 18 years of age or older, whether or not the person receiving the firearm holds a firearms purchaser identification card or a permit to carry a handgun. The person to whom a handgun, rifle or shotgun is temporarily transferred by the legal owner of the firearm or a licensed dealer may receive, possess, carry and use that handgun, rifle or shotgun, if the transfer is made upon a firing range operated by a licensed dealer, by a law enforcement agency, a legally recognized military organization or a rifle or pistol club which has filed a copy of its charter with the superintendent and annually submits to the superintendent a list of its members and if the firearm is received, possessed, carried and used for the sole purpose of target practice, trap or skeet shooting, or competition upon that firing range or instruction and training at any location.

Look I don,t make the laws I have to enforce them some are the dumbest and some are not strong enough. If I can't give you the the text book answer then I go to my Boss the ATTORNEY GENERAL. I said this before I won't give someone my opinion if I know it could get them in trouble just here to help if I can not start trouble. I seen alot of dumb lock ups in 11 years and have found alot more laws that would confuse you and also say who wrote that into law.

Last edited:
Shawn,
That is by far the best and most thought out answer thank you I did find that on the internet with the statutes you gave thank you

This was pulled off of the nra website for nj: http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/NJSL.pdf

POSSESSION

It is unlawful to knowingly possess any handgun, including any antique handgun, without first having obtained a Permit to Carry, and it is unlawful to knowingly possess any rifle or shotgun without having first obtained a Firearms Purchaser Identification Card (FID), however, no Permit to Carry or FID is required:

1. To keep or carry any firearm about a person’s place of business, residence, premises, or other land owned or possessed by him; a place of business shall be deemed a fixed location.
2. To carry any firearm unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported and the course of travel shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances from any place of purchase to his residence or place of business, between his dwelling and his place of business, from one place of business or residence and another when moving, or between his dwelling or place of business and place where such firearms are repaired, for the purpose of repair.

3. To transport such firearms as necessary for target practice, in the manner described in paragraph 2 above, by a member of a gun club organized in accordance with the rules prescribed by the National Board for the Promotion of Rifle Practice in going to or from a place of target practice, provided the club has filed a copy of its charter with the Superintendent of State Police and annually submits a list of its members to the superintendent.

4. To transport any firearm, in the manner described in paragraph 2 above, while traveling:
a. Directly to or from any place for the purpose of hunting or fishing, provided such person has in his possession a valid hunting or fishing license.
b. Directly to or from any target range or other authorized place for the purpose of practice, match, target, trap or skeet shooting exhibitions.

c. Directly to or from any exhibition or display of firearms which is sponsored by any law enforcement agency, any gun club or gun collectors club for the purpose of displaying the firearms to the public or to members of such organization or club, provided that not less than 30 days prior to such exhibition or display notice shall be given to the Superintendent of State Police by the sponsoring organization or club and the sponsor has complied with such reasonable safety regulations as the superintendent may promulgate.
5. To carry a firearm in the woods or fields or upon the waters of this State for the purpose of hunting, target practice, or fishing, provided that the firearm is legal and appropriate for hunting or fishing purposes in this State and the person possesses a valid hunting license, or, with respect to fresh water fishing, a valid fishing license.

6. To transport firearms by a licensed dealer in firearms and his registered employees during the course of normal business, provided the firearms are transported in the manner described in paragraph 2 above.
7. For members of the armed forces or National Guard while on duty or traveling between places of duty and carrying authorized weapons.
8. For federal law enforcement officers and any other federal officers and employees required to carry firearms in the performance of their official duties.
9. For law enforcement officers, vehicle inspectors, prosecutors, and assistant prosecutors.
10. For guards and persons with limited police or arrest powers while in the performance of their duties.
11. For out-of-state law enforcement officers while actually engaged in official duties, provided that the Superintendent of State Police, or the police chief, or county prosecutor of the county where the out-of-state officer is engaged in official duties has been notified.

The FID requirement for rifles and shotguns does not apply to antique firearms, provided that such antique firearms are unloaded or are being fired for the purposes for exhibition or demonstration at an authorized range or in such other manner as has been approved in writing by the chief law enforcement officer of the municipality.

Last edited:
Well there is your answer. If you run into a local cop he may harass you about a card you are not required to carry anyway. State or federal you should be fine. Either way, if you have a nj FID card it can be checked in the computer. The law does not require you to carry it hunting

Last edited:
Shawn,charlie, and everyone else thank you for your time and imput on this subject. I didn't think it would be a touchy subject. Dumb on my part we are in New Freaking Jersey the land of crazy laws. Hope nobody has hard feeling. Thanks again.

Not to beat a dead horse, but as I read the very clear guidelines that Shawn Mc provided, I will need to purchase a locking case for any firearm I transport through NJ if I am driving a pickup, a station wagon, or any other vehicle that doesn't have a separate locking trunk?

What about my wife's Hyundai, which has a separate trunk, but the trunk can be accessed from the rear seats by folding a seat down?

Do I need to invest in a locking gun case if I want to drive south to hunt next year?

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]4. To transport any firearm, in the manner described in paragraph 2 above, while traveling:
a. Directly to or from any place for the purpose of hunting or
fishing, provided such person has in his possession a valid hunting or fishing license.

Well, that sure is a relief. I'm pretty much always directly on my way to some place for fishing. Thankfully, I can carry my gun with me to dispatch whatever stripers and trout I may decide to keep, not to mention defending myself from toothy critters like bluefish and muskies. LOL.

What size pellet do folks recommend for pan sized trout or crappies? Do I need a larger pellet to penetrate the thicker scales on the crappie? How much stopping power do I need for a slashing bluefish in the surf? Should I step up to a gun that can shoot 3.5's for surf fishing?
[/font]

Not to beat a dead horse, but as I read the very clear guidelines that Shawn Mc provided, I will need to purchase a locking case for any firearm I transport through NJ if I am driving a pickup, a station wagon, or any other vehicle that doesn't have a separate locking trunk?

What about my wife's Hyundai, which has a separate trunk, but the trunk can be accessed from the rear seats by folding a seat down?

Do I need to invest in a locking gun case if I want to drive south to hunt next year?

No, It just has to be cased and closed just put your ammo in a different bag and close it, if you wanna get technical put a zip tie on the zipper. If ya sweat the small shit around here you'll end up a hermit. They want to do nothing more than make money none of it makes anyone safer. The criminals still can do what ever they want, it's the honest guys that get pinched to make money. We are a hotbed for stupid stupid laws.

Last edited:
Back