Questions for you Mass./Conn. hunters

Ryan Werden

I've recently had a cousin move to Cap Cod and she has invited my family to come out for a visit. To my surprise, my Wife suggested we go during hunting season so maybe I can get a couple days in on the coast, having never shot sea ducks. This is still very much in the early planning stages and I've been asked when would be the best time to go. Can you give me an idea of what time of year would be best (i.e., typically the last two weeks of Nov.) for that general area? In particular, I'd love to try for Brant and Eidah. We haven't nailed down just how long we'll be there, but I suspect 3-4 days with a couple more for the drive. At best out of those 3-4 days I can likely hunt 2. I'd prefer to freelance and bring the boat but I'm not sure it makes sense. Plus, I'm sure the kids will scream that we have to take the minivan and not ride in the truck. For such a short period of time I'm thinking I might want to get a guide. Would anyone have a recommendation for a guide in that area? Thanks in advance for any input.

Ryan

Hi Ryan,

You will probably get a lot of different answers on this, so I will just throw in my 2 cents. I've been hunting sea ducks in Mass for about 12 years now, and have found that the best time to go is roughly from the end of November right up through mid December. That seems to be the time that it gets cold enough up in Canada and Maine to start pushing the big flocks south. I have noticed that late season birds (late December into January) tend to be really boat and decoy spread shy. They are smart birds, despite what you may have heard about eider and scoter. And, they have been shot at all along the coast as they make their migration. If you were to hunt the Cape, I would estimate that mid to late November would be a good time to go - first part of December too.

Best,
Nate

Ryan:

My name is Jim O'Brien and I live in E. Sandwich (on cape cod). I have hunted sea ducks for many years on and around the cape and have all of the necessary equipment.

Eider season is open from early October till the end of January. The "best" time to hunt for them is up for debate. In October the weather can be as warm as 50-60 degrees (or even warmer) which can create a very comfortable hunt. The eider are just migrating them and large groups fly together and are typically not gunshy at that time. The cape is also a great place to visit in October with the warmer weather. The challenges are that it is still a bit "crowded" due to the nice weather and Brant are NOT open in October.

As you get later in the season, the eider and brant become more plentiful but a bit more wary and seem to break into smaller feeding groups. November the weather can be nice but starting to get cold. December and January can be bitterly cold with more extreme conditions. I would not recommend someone not familar with the ocean and the area hunt by themselves.

I am not 100% sure when brant season opens, maybe in November, I will have to check, but I know brant is open later in the season. Just for the info puddle ducks open typically for a very short season in beginning of November and are then closed until late November/early December through mid January.

I hope that I have not created more questions than I have answered but if that is the case, just let me know and I will answer. Regarding hunting, I have Eider, Scoter and brant decoys, rigged with anchors etc. I have an Estuary built by Dave Clarke and other gear as well (you can borrow anything but the boat!) You are welcome to stop by my house and borrow my gear when you are on the cape. I may be able to join you for a few days of hunting if work schedule allows. I am NOT a guide but have all the local maps and have lived and hunted on the cape for over 20 years. I have assisted other members of this forum in the same manner and they had a great time. They stopped at my house, I assisted them in getting their licenses on line, showed them on maps where they might want to go, loaned them some of my gear and they were very successful.

Again, I do not know your level of experience with boating on the ocean, but if you have limited experience and time on the water I would not recommend heading out in the fall/winter on the water on your own.

Hope all of this helps, just let me know.

Jim O'Brien

Stick to the Cape. Any Eider in CT are lost. Make sure you bring all of the ammo that you'll need, as NR's can't buy ammo in MA, I believe. You might need trigger locks as well when transporting. The MA guys can tell you better than me.

Hi Ryan,

I have hunted on the Cape and Rhode Island for most of my decoy carving career.....your time on Cape Cod hunting for sea ducks will be one of the highlights of your life (duck hunting I mean)!! I wouldn't suggest dragging your boat with you....unless you are meeting a "CapeCodder" there; too many variables-access, being unfamiliar with the area/water, location of the birds, etc...!! My suggestion would be to hire a guide. There are two I would recommend.....Capt. Brian Rhodes who is here on this site. I am not sure if you can travel the hour to Rhode Island from the Cape, but it will be well worth it. Capt. Brian hunts in some of the most beautiful areas in Southern New England, with its breathtaking scenery and large pockets of birds.....you might want to give him a call (find him on this site).

The other one being on Cape Cod which I also recommend.....Magellan Sea Duck CHarters in Harwich Mass. They hunt right smack dab in the middle of the largest concentrations of Eiders in New England. Either way, you will be in the heart of sea duck hunting at its best!!

Good Luck....you will have the time of your life!!

Please feel free to call me if you have any questions 860 663 2840

Keith

Ryan,
Might look at Ruben Perez http://www.seaduckhunt.com/index.html I've never hunted with him but I know Mark Rongers has.

Jim

I have hunted with Ruben Perez. We hunted the Cape... We went around the 18th of December.... I believe..

I agree with Nate. End of November until mid December is best. The birds won't be wary like they are in Late December and later. The one downside of November is that the birds are not very mature. The colors will be mottled some and they don't make for good mounts if that is one of your goals. My guess is that the later in Nov into December will get you more matures. My 2c on the subject.

I must say though, you will have a blast because they really do come in good numbers. You'll limit out quickly at that time of year. Last year on at least three occasions, we were back at the boat launch by 7:30 limited out.

Best of Luck,
Bill

Thanks for the kind words Keith.

Ryan, my rule of thumb for 'good' mountable birds is anytime after Thanksgiving. We start seeing birds here in Oct. but like the other guys said, they are usually 'dirty' looking until late Nov.

Like the others said, bring enough ammo, NR cannot buy ammo in the wonderful state of Mass. There is also no Sunday hunting there. The only guy I know and recommend from Mass. is Capt. Jack from Coastline Guide service. I have never hunted with him myself, but I know many who have, and I have never heard a bad thing about him. http://coastlineguideservice.com/

My opinion is if you are only coming for a few days a guide or a 'buddy' might be your best option. Like Keith said, the time and cost it would take you to drag your own boat and find good, accessible, safe spots to go on your own isn't worth the hassle.

No matter what route you go I'm sure you will have an awesome time. There is nothing in the waterfowl world that compares to a good ole' fashioned seaduck hunt in my opinion.

The only guy I know and recommend from Mass. is Capt. Jack from Coastline Guide service. I have never hunted with him myself, but I know many who have, and I have never heard a bad thing about him. http://coastlineguideservice.com/
I agree with Brian. A friend and myself hunted with Capt. Jack last year and we were very impressed with him and his guide service. He consistently put us on the birds and he is also a pleasure to be around. We plan on going back with him again. If you are going after "Eidahs" in an unfamiliar area, it would make sense to hire a guide that has the skills, correct equipment and local knowledge. Other wise you could become another statistic if things go wrong. My 2 cents.

You are already talking like a New Englander....."eidah". It goes well with lobstah and buttah!
Jim/fowlfishing

The only guy I know and recommend from Mass. is Capt. Jack from Coastline Guide service. I have never hunted with him myself, but I know many who have, and I have never heard a bad thing about him. http://coastlineguideservice.com/
I agree with Brian. A friend and myself hunted with Capt. Jack last year and we were very impressed with him and his guide service. He consistently put us on the birds and he is also a pleasure to be around. We plan on going back with him again. If you are going after "Eidahs" in an unfamiliar area, it would make sense to hire a guide that has the skills, correct equipment and local knowledge. Other wise you could become another statistic if things go wrong. My 2 cents. Another thumbs up for Capt. Jack, I have hunted with him a couple of times and he works real hard at putting you on birds. He is also a great guy during any slow times.

You are already talking like a New Englander....."eidah". It goes well with lobstah and buttah!
Jim/fowlfishing

Jim,

After hunting there, it will forever be "Eidah" and "Lobsta" in my vocabulary !

Last edited:
If you have a dog--there are many shore areas and breakwalls worth gunning--just watch the tides -- also areas off the cape like Plymouth are good

Back