Questions on Sneakbox stuff

mike braden

I got my motor back. Turns out it wouldn't idle unless you kept choking it. Brought it to a buddy who is a marine mechanic and he took the carb off soaked it overnight and still the same problem. Said that it needs a new carb. Problem is couldn't find one in USA and it had to be specially made from Bombardiere(spelling) I think. $300 sealed the deal so that wasn't too bad. Now with stuff turing cold, I'm not sure if I will bother with taking it out this year. But, Bass Pro Shops is having a 6 pay plan going on. You buy stuff totaling $125 or more and they give you 6 months to pay same as cash.

I need oars and they have a set pretty cheap. What size do I need?
5.5, 6, 6.5 or 7 footers. Boat is a 12 foot BBSB. I am around 5'7"....6'2" on a good day.

Bildge pump
How many GPM should I get?

Gas tanks
I don't plan on traveling for miles on end with the two stroke. Is 3 gallons ok or if the 6 gal fits get that.

Last edited:
Hey Mike, thanks for the tip on Bass Pro Shops. I can't help with the oar question but as for the fuel, I use a 3 gal tank but also carry a spare 2 gal just incase. This has been more than enough for me. I've never even used all 3 gal on one trip.
For the pump I carry a hand operated model. It's about $15 at any marine store. Happy New Year.........Kevin

Hold on....brand new carb?? Did he melt all the plastic parts in it when he "soaked" it? What motor is this and what year? If he didn't dis assemble the thing completely and clean it properly and if the throttle shaft and it's races aren't completely worn out...and put it back together with a 20 dollar rebuild kit...I think you are getting hosed.I've never heard of having a carb so bad.

I agree with Lee,

Taking a carb and soaking it overnight in what? If the motor is an oldie it could easily be a stuck needle valve. If not, the carb kit Lee mentioned is probably the best way to go.
Hope your "mechanic" stands behind his work.
Best,
Harry

Mike,

I am not much of a marine motor guy but I would tend to agree. A new carb does sound like a bit much depending on how old your motor is. I have rebuilt many carbs with just a $20 kit, but have only had to replace one complete carb. The butterfly post did not have a bushing/bearing and it wore the housing enough to let air in and lean out the mixture. Though that was on a early 70's tractor. But it sounds like that is a done deal so... you had had some questions about what to use in your box.

Oars...I also have a 12' BBSB and I use a pair of "breadown" 6.5' oars. They break down in half into two pieces and store up under my aft deck with clips. Great space save for a small boat. They are made out of aluminium/titanium, I believe. I purchased them on ebay, cheap and they are very sturdy.

Bilge pump.... I have a 500gpm bilge that works great at pumping out the water my dog drags in with the birds. Good thing my rig has floatation compartments because there is no way a 500gpm bilge is gonna save any lives. I will probably put another 500gpm in it just for piece of mind. I will also be installing a screen around it. When either the dog or I are getting on and off shore you always manage to drag in small sticks, leaves or grass. These go through the bilge grates and clog the impellor.

Gas tank.... I had a 86 two stroke Johnson with a 6 gallon can. It drank fuel like a fish drinks water. Just a couple mile trip would cost me 2-3 gallons, easy. I now have a 4 stroke Suzuki with a three gallon can that just incredible on fuel. That same trip with the new motor uses about a 1/2gallon. I do not know how old you motor is but I would tend to lean towards a 6 gallon can, just my .02.

Good luck hunting with Gene Jr. the next couple of days. He is a great guy!

Take Care,
Gene

Hey Guys,

The motor is over 15 years old. Everything was tight and worked well on the motor. Being the age of the motor and that it sat for awhile and wasn't properly stored(prior to my purchase) the new carb was more of my doing than my friends. I realize that a simple carb rebuild can bring new life into it but I plan on taking my kids out a lot and really didn't want to mess with a tempermental thing especially with them aboard. Extra money....sure, but well worth the peace of mind that comes with it.

I was planning on getting a 6 gallon tank but wasn't sure if it was more than I needed. Never had a two stroke boat motor before. Was thinking of getting a 3 gallon for spare when I plan on being out all day.

They do have 750 and 900 gpm bilge pumps so I figure I will get a pretty big one for added safety.

Last edited:
For future reference: Find a shop with an ultrasonic carb cleaner!!!! We just brought back to life a Honda motorcycle that had been sitting for 12 ( that would be TWELVE) years with gas in the carbs and it is fine. It took a couple cycles in the cleaner but a whole lot cheaper than a new carb. The new carbs a a bit more complicated but that is why we use the ultrasonic instead of the old school "soak overnight" method. And the solvent we have started using in the cleaner is good ol plain white vinigar cut with water. The solvent is not the key, the ulttrassonic soiund waves are. Just my $.02. Good luck. Oh yeah, take good care of that motor and you can leave it to the kids.

Last edited:
Mike ,

I have to agree with Lee on this one , just a for instance , i have an old tractor owner bought it in 1985 and he gave it to me to get running about 3 bucks for the carb cleaner and about 2 hours of my time and it runs like a champ , had an 79 merc outboard would not run found out that it was the carb , rebuild kit 15.00 bucks ran for another 3 years until it froze up solid ( it was never rinsed out with fresh water always used in salt by previous owner ) Now i have a 05 Honda 4 stroke and would not give it up for anything in the world , just the piece of mind when it is cold and dark on the bay . Do not want to put your buddy down i am sure he had his reasons for a new carb but this is just my .02

Dave M

The thing is, there is only 1 moving part in a 2 stroke carb...not including the float which just rides up and down on a pin. The only reason I can think of to replace a carb is if someone boogered up the threads in the jets,tried cleaning it with acid, broke a bowl or the shaft that opens and closes the butterfly is worn so large that it sucks air. You can pick up 15hp carbs on ebay for next to nothing and for 300 bucks you could buy 10 or 20 of them and a couple rebuild kits and pick the ones you like and use the others in the slight chance in you and your grandkids lifetimes you need a major part like the fuel bowl. A 15hp with good compression isn't old at 15 and if it's been sitting for 10 years...clean and rebuild the carb, change the lower unit oil, airgun the mouse nests out from under the hood, change the gas lines and sparkplugs, get running and do a de carb with Sea Foam. I'd also put some marine 2 stroke oil in through the spark plug holes and let sit before turning over...then turn the flywheel by hand before trying to start the first time. If a new carb is going to give you a chubby, make sure you change all your gas lines under the hood including the main supply one, use a new gas tank, hose and primer ball with new gas/oil mix. If you get a new gas tank, make sure you check inside for plastic shavings as they will suck up into that shiny new carb and plug the hell out of it. Every new plastic tank I have gotten had the shavings left in them from manufacturing....clean it out GOOD!

Mike,
you have gotten good advice on the card already, so I wont harp on it. We throw a lot of rebuildable parts at work due to the high labor rate and the money we make on the part. Just the way it is now in many service departments, but as mentioned most parts on simple engines can be done with avail spares and kits. Buy the OEM manual.
The distance you travel may be more than most, but I cant see a 15 burning 3 gallons in an average hunting trip. That boat is small and space is at a premium so I would try the 3 first.
Bilge pumps and duck boats are not too easy. I have a 500 in my 16 john only because I leave it in and want the rain water out. It will not move a flood from a hole and will clog at the worst time with crud. Plus it needs a bigger battery(Space/weight issue again), which by the way will not deliver the rated amount with an outboard cause you will never see 14 volts unless plugged in to your home charger. Hand pump is reliable and a bucket is best if your really taking water in.
Good luck.

Back