Quill, take two

Troy Fields

It's hard to believe that Quill is already 6 months old. Since our return trip home from VA in March it has been puppy play and training. She is progressing nicely and I don't have any doubt that we'll be ready for that last weekend in Sept. Following are some snapshots in time from the past couple months.

quill8.jpg

Our first trip out in the DuckWater

quill9.jpgquill10.jpgquill11.jpgquill12.jpgquill13.jpg

Her first real snow storm....in April, there is never a good snow storm in April in Maine.

quill14.jpg

Dream big little girl.

quill15.jpgquill16.jpg

Just because I guess.

quill17.jpg

Her first ride in the Poke Boat.

quill18.jpgquill19.jpg

Intro to the mighty Atlantic.

quill20.jpg

Going from the puppy collar to her first hunting collar.

quill21.jpg

Her first water retrieve at the lake.

quill22.jpg

Bench work, as some might call it, I took the ladder off the DuckWater to do some intro to that. It actually worked great and we'll be progressing to deeper water next time.

quill23.jpg

AND finally, there's never an inappropriate time to smell the flowers.

quill24.jpg

Last edited:
Nothing can raise a mans spirit better than the anticipation of all the hard work coming to fruition come fall with your new best buddy. Enjoy your time training Quill. Shes a fine lookin pup.

Nothing can raise a mans spirit better than the anticipation of all the hard work coming to fruition come fall with your new best buddy. Enjoy your time training Quill. Shes a fine lookin pup.
I agree, I always look forward to fall, but this one will have a little more meaning.

We'll have to get out again sometime so you can see her in action. Good luck at Baxter, I'm envious.
Did you go this year? I went a week earlier than usual--came home last Saturday--and things were a little slow. Not much for hatches on the ponds--no evening rise after dinner and no trout sipping flying ants that blow out of the big pines. I did have a truly memorable day on one of the remote ponds. It's my favorite, fish it every spring for a few days, and have never had a better day there. But kind of hard to enjoy casting flies from a canoe in a 15-20 mph NW wind and whitecaps. Thank goodness for lobster bait bags and parachute cord to jury rig a pair of anchors out of rocks. Never had fast surface fishing for trout on similar conditions and never expect to again.

Friends were in a week earlier and had much better fishing on Kidney than we saw.

Did you go this year? I went a week earlier than usual--came home last Saturday--and things were a little slow. Not much for hatches on the ponds--no evening rise after dinner and no trout sipping flying ants that blow out of the big pines. I did have a truly memorable day on one of the remote ponds. It's my favorite, fish it every spring for a few days, and have never had a better day there. But kind of hard to enjoy casting flies from a canoe in a 15-20 mph NW wind and whitecaps. Thank goodness for lobster bait bags and parachute cord to jury rig a pair of anchors out of rocks. Never had fast surface fishing for trout on similar conditions and never expect to again.

Friends were in a week earlier and had much better fishing on Kidney than we saw.
No, I haven't been up for couple years now. I will have to remember the bait bag trick though, I am always looking for the "right-sized" rock to tie up. Nice you had one great day, pretty sure I know the pond. I have only ever there fished that once, and that was years ago.

It's been fun watching her progress Troy. Nothing is better than spending each day ,the entire day with your new charge. Some of us are lucky enough to have that luxury to that and at this point in life I wouldn't want it any other way.

Great pictures Troy. I love em all but the last one of Quill sniffing the flowers is the best. Gotta love a girl that will stop to smell the flowers

Enjoy your summer with her....

Quill is a mighty fine looking pup. I wish I'd thought to build something to train my Lucy from. At the time we were hunting from a ground blind but when we went to hunting from a boat or a river blind she would not retrieve it she can't feel the ground. Those are all days in the past now that she's happy being a house dog for the grandkids.

Back