Re: NY NE Zone season 2015-16 Input

Kevin B

Greetings, It is that time of year again and the task force will be meeting in a month or so. I am looking for input on the opening,split and second opener.
10/3-10/11,close 10/24 -12/13

10/3-10/18,close 10/31--12/13

10/3-12/1 ,no split

10/10-12/8 ,no split

You can Pm If you don't want to post. Thanks for your time ,this is your chance for constructive input.

Hi, Kevin~

Either of the first 2 choices are fine by me. We live/hunt on the boundary between NE and SE - so I will defer to those who live in the heart of the NE Zone.

All the best,

SJS

Steve how did the extended October dates work for you? Did you see less birds, did you miss birds traveling through being closed from the 20th to the 1st of Nov ?

Thanks for the input!

Kevin, option 1 seems to work better as far as I am concerned, the last week of october we see a push of new birds , every year is different but that week tends to be more productive than the second week. If I had it my way close all of october and give it to us late dec and jan.

Kevin~

Once the SE Zone opens around Columbus Day weekend, we tend to hunt it and not the NE - until later on. So, I again defer to those who focus on the NE Zone.

This year was a very odd year - the worst in my 19 seasons living up here. We never found a lot of birds of any species.

The late-August/September drought dried up many of our usual early-season ponds. And the late season on the rivers was often confounded by the frigid-then warm-then-frigid roller coaster weather pattern - too much ice or too much water.

Thanks for working on this!

SJS

Thanks again Glenn and Steve, yes, I agree with the push traditionally being the last week in October, there were birds around but the drought up here concentrated the birds in Sept. The numbers weren't there on the 2nd opener,I don't know if we missed them during the close or not.
That being said it was the best late year I have had in December .

You guys are so lucky to be having these discussions now. My state doesn't start working on its season framework until the federal guidance comes out in mid-summer.

Well they better start discussions for 2015 and 2016 seasons now. The traditional season setting process is being modified this year. The 2015 season will be set in late July as usual but the 2016 season process will start in June 2015 and proposals for 2016 seasons will be published by December 2015. From now on you'll know what the flyways and Federal government are proposing about 6-9 months before the seasons start not a month before they start.

Definitely option #1.

I wish we could hunt October 3, 4, and 5, close it, and reopen on October 24th for the duration of the 60 days!

Back