Rust converting?

Dave Diefenderfer

Sponsor
I am cleaning up a trailer and refitting it for the scooter. This is a painted EZ-Loader trailer that I bought used a few years back. In solid condition, but had lots of peeling and blistered paint. I stripped it of the lights and hardware today and started on it with my 1500psi electric power washer. The power washer died, so I will borrow a better one this week. I will store the scooter and trailer out of the weather so a quick decent paint job is all I am looking to do. What should I use to arrest the rusting? I know I could sandblast and or wire brush, but I really only plan to power wash to remove any loose paint and scale. Is there a prescribed paint or rust converter that will do a decent job? I saw this on the HD site:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Corroseal-Rust-Converter-Primer-82320/202960538

Anyone use something like it?

TIA,

In the past, I used Naval Jelly that converted the iron oxide into a phosphate...or something like that. It seemed to do the job at stopping the rust.

Dave,

I spent many years working maintenance at an amusement park. We used to use this stuff for all the rusty metal we dealt with. It's by far the best thing I've ever seen or used for rust.

http://www.ospho.com/

I bought mine at my local Sherwin Williams Paint store. I had to have them order it in for me, but it only took a couple days. I believe I paid like $20 for a quart. It's thin like water, so it goes a long ways.

Clean off all of the loose scale and chipped paint. I like to use a wire brush both by hand and a wire wheel on a drill, or best yet, a wire wheel on an angle grinder. The instructions say that you only have to remove the "loose" rust, but I like to take all that can get off.

Brush it on and let it dry. It turns the rust black and pretty much kills it. Then I really like Rust Oleum OIL BASED paint. After using the Ospho, I don't even prime. Just paint.

Jon

I will second the use of OSPHO. I learned about it from a commercial fisherman. They painted it on rusty parts of the fishing trawlers.

i used it to clean and preserve metal and iron in a salt water environment.

Dave, I'll be the third to say ospho.
Knock big chunks off. Needle gun or wire brush. Apply with a brush and or universal spray bottle. Use a respirator for the latter. Wait 24 hrs. Then paint.

Thank you all, exactly the info I was hoping for. Will pick up a gallon of OSPHO at the local ACE this week.

Now regular Rust-Oleum over the top? Oil based enamal?

I am afraid the hardest part will be getting the DOT tape off that Rufus put on! The pressure washer did not do much on that.... but I bet the wire wheel on the grinder will when it dries off tomorrow.

if you're only doing a boat trailer, think QUART Dave! A quart will go a Looooooong way!

Yes on the Rust-Oleum, (oil based, of course), and try a heat gun for the tape. It will make a gooey mess, but will work. A little lacquer thinner or Acetone afterwards will help too.

Jon

Back