Sam Hunt - Sneakbox builder - seeking info

Dave Diefenderfer

Sponsor
So after last weekends Tuckerton Show, I am pretty confident that my sneakbox was originally built by Sam Hunt, everyone that voiced an opinion at the show all said it was built by Sam, based on my original photos. I got several backhand compliment, with several guys saying Sam never built a box as fancy as this.... then when they looked at the steam bent oak ribs, and the original photos, they all agreed that this was a Hunt box.

So now I am asking for assistance from the NJ guys.... I have done some google work, but have not yet determined when he built boxes.... last interview I have found so far is from 1990, he was reported to be 78, and was still building. I can't find an Obit, and would like to know when he started and how many maybe attributed to him. Doing the math, It would suggest he was born in 1912, so he may have been building for some 6o years or so? If anyone has some resources and would be willing to share I would appreciated... I would like to add a little history synopsis to my build book of pictures.

SAMUEL R. HUNT, 92, of BARNEGAT 

Published in the Asbury Park Press 5/30/04
SAMUEL R. HUNT, 92, of BARNEGAT, died Wednesday, May 26, at the Great Bay Nursing Center, Little Egg Harbor. He was a veteran of the U.S. Coast Guard, serving in World War II. He was a self-employed bayman for many years and also built many Barnegat Bay sneak boxes and garveys. He was last employed with Ocean County Road Department until his retirement in 1976. He was an honorary member of the Pineland Cultural Society. He built banjos, guitars and furniture. He also enjoyed playing musical instruments with the Albert brothers of Waretown. Born in Chews Landing, he was a life long resident of Waretown until moving to Barnegat in 2002.
Surviving are three daughters, Linda Kubala and Ethel Hunt, both of Barnegat, and Marie Pullan of Spring Hill, Fla.; seven grandchildren; and 12 great grandchildren.

Visiting hours will be held from 9 a.m. Wednesday until the funeral service at 10 a.m. at the Bugbee-Riggs Funeral Home, 335 S. Main St., Barnegat. Interment shall follow at the Cedar Grove Cemetery, Waretown. In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made to the Pinelands Cultural Society Albert Music Hall, P.O. Box 657, Waretown, NJ 08758.

the book "Early American Waterfowling" by Stephen Miller has a interview with him and some pics of boats in stages of completion.
Samy's boats were "rugged& ruff",and hairy on the inside (rough sawn or however the planks were finished from the mill)...probably galvanized fastened too
he was a real character to say the least had all kinds stories

NJ public television had a great show, a segment in which featured Sam Hunt building a boat...

Last edited:
In the Barnegat Bay Tradition
In the Barnegat Bay region, there is a timeless tradition of waterfowl hunting involving hand-crafted decoys and locally-made wooden boats known as sneakboxes. This documentary features boatbuilder Sam Hunt from Waretown and the National- Heritage-Award-winning decoy carver Harry Shourds.This program won an Emmy when it was originally broadcasted.
The above program is available on VHS video cassette for $19.95. Make check or money order payable to "NJN Video" and send to NJN Video, PO Box 777, Trenton, NJ 08625-0777. Phone (609)777-5093. 30 minutes

Dave,

My neighbor who helped us with the pond box knew Sammy very well. He was a close family friend of his father. Too bad that I didn't know this before hand as he was at the show Sunday. I would have sent him over to talk with you. We were talking about Sammy a few weeks ago and he said that Sammy did not build a fancy box. Crude was usually the word that was used to describe his workmanship. Now even though my neighbor is a master carpenter, he did not mean this as an insult. Send me some pics and I will show him.

D360AB3F-87A6-4588-9B4B-FBEFA6011631-19374-0000209EE5A3F7DA_zps1e8827bf.jpg

found this in a book

Dave,
I bought a Sam Hunt sneakbox from him back in the 80's..Visited with him a few days and got quite an education along with a tour of his house and musical instruments...It may take me awhile but I still have some pictures of the visit...If I recall most pictures were of the boats..I'll find them and get back to ya..
Bruce

Sam was also known as a square dancer. The Barnegat Bay Tradition is a great film and worth having, I used to have a tape of it in the VHS days.

Well, I have torn the house apart... I know I ordered the video but can not find it, perhaps I lent it to someone to watch? I know if I order another, I will find is soon after the new one arrives!

Thanks to those who have posted here and sent me PMs, I will continue to gather info for my build book. Bruce, any pictures you might find would be great! If anyone has more to add, please do!

Sam built a 12" boat with sailing rig and shipped it to Los Angles for me. Spent some time in N J watching him built my boat. He built a 10 boat for Tony Hillman at the same time. Yes he loved to dance withe ladies!

Bob, I remember that box, it was listed on eBay right? I had just gotten my current box when that one posted, and I was really torn about trying to get it. In hindsight, I wish I had! Where did it end up? Hope it is getting used!

Back