Saskatchewan Hunt

Paul Meisenheimer

Supporter
I had a great hunt in Saskatchewan last week. Lots of birds were in the area we hunted and we took our share of ducks a few times. More than that I had a good time with good friends and found time to relax. Here are a few pictures from our travels and hunts. My favorite is Carter relaxing by the fire after a hard workout retrieving ducks. It pretty much sums up the five days.

075_zps50ba6283.jpg

177_zpsccb91cdd.jpg

212_zps805f949a.jpg

253_zps3b8f047c.jpg

416_zpse449ae28.jpg

385_zpsba87ee4a.jpg

464_zpsc886b164.jpg

Paul~

Wonderful photos! I worked in Saskatchewan for 3 weeks one spring - banding Mallards in 1985 or so. I really enjoyed the landscape and have often thought of getting back. Glad you had a fine time.

All the best,

SJS

That looks outstanding, Paul !
I was out there hunting with my Dad about - gulp! - 25 years ago and still have some crystal clear memories including shooting my first and to-date only canvasback.
Did you chase Huns and/or grouse, too?
All the best,
Dan

WOW that's a lot of snow geese. Glad you had a great hunt. I like the picture of Carter by the fire...lucky dog gets the prime spot.

And you saw moose...how cool is that

WOW that's a lot of snow geese. Glad you had a great hunt. I like the picture of Carter by the fire...lucky dog gets the prime spot.

And you saw moose...how cool is that

Very cool to see a cow moose with calves. Also saw a bull moose and ate the tenderloin from another that was shot the week prior. Other notable sightings included elk and pronghorn.

Carter earned the prime spot. 9 1/2 years old and hunting like a young dog. Definitely the hardest working member of our group.

That looks outstanding, Paul !
I was out there hunting with my Dad about - gulp! - 25 years ago and still have some crystal clear memories including shooting my first and to-date only canvasback.
Did you chase Huns and/or grouse, too?
All the best,
Dan

Thanks Dan

We focused on ducks. It seemed like there were more field hunters than fields so we stuck to the water for the most part. Ducks harvested included: mallard, widgeon, gadwall, bw teal, gw teal, shoveller, lesser scaup, common goldeneye, canvasback, bufflehead, ringneck. I may have missed one or two species. We took a pass on common and hooded mergansers that flew through. Surprisingly no redheads.

Paul~

Wonderful photos! I worked in Saskatchewan for 3 weeks one spring - banding Mallards in 1985 or so. I really enjoyed the landscape and have often thought of getting back. Glad you had a fine time.

All the best,

SJS

It is a really cool place to hunt and I am fortunate that it is just a few hours down the road. Glad you enjoyed your time there.

I sat with your photos up on the screen for a few minutes, just enjoying them and the feeling they conveyed. Great scenery, good story, happy dog--and what a photogenic moon they have on the prairie! Thank you for sharing this adventure.

In the mid 1990's, my hunting partner and I would go to Sask. to free lance waterfowl hunt for weeks at a time. Thank God there is no hunting on Sunday, as everyone, dogs, and everything needed a well deserved rest. Those were times that I will Never forget, or Ever equal, and I feel very fortunate to have lived my dream, more than once. To me it's heaven on earth. Thanks for the photo's.

Boy, you sure had me drooling, Paul. What a fantastic set of photos. I liked them all. Carter sure deserved his rest. I'm so glad that you and Ernie had such a good time. Thanks for posting.
Al

Well done. Thanks for taking us along. I like seeing some photos where there aren't a bunch of trees and mountains getting in the way of a good view. :)

Tim

Holy cow you guys put out a lot of snow goose decoys!

Hey I'm going to be in Calgary for a few days at the end of November. Anything we could get into?

Mike

Nice pictures Paul...Love the moose in the field...One time in Manitoba I swore a moose was ahead of us in the distant as we were driving down the road...Come to find out it was a horse...Lot of laughs that trip at me...

Regards,
Kristan

Holy cow you guys put out a lot of snow goose decoys!

Hey I'm going to be in Calgary for a few days at the end of November. Anything we could get into?

Mike

Mike,

I will send you my contact information. I am sure if you let me know when you are in town we could find something to get into. LOL

Boy, you sure had me drooling, Paul. What a fantastic set of photos. I liked them all. Carter sure deserved his rest. I'm so glad that you and Ernie had such a good time. Thanks for posting.
Al

Al, I can only dream of taking photos like yours. Glad you enjoyed the pictures.

Can only imaging how overdue this trip was Mr. Workohalic! Very well deserved! Hope it was every bit as peaceful as the pictures elude to!
You didn't tell me Ernie made the trip too! Very glad for you both!
Best,
D

Back