Sculling Question's for David Archer

leonard

I own a Lyn Lee Scull Boat that I bought in Oakley CA, and my hunting partner also has a Lyn Lee Scull Boat that he bought in Brentwood CA, .
In one of your post you mentioned hunters Lyn and Lee are they the same hunters who made the scull boats ?
Did you ever own one of these scull boats ? or hunt out of one ?
You spoke of a wave shield what did it look like ?
How did it attach ?
How long were these scull boats made ?
Were there many of them made ?
The two that my friend and I have are the only ones I've seen .
Any information about these scull boats would be greatly appreciated .
How was the hunting at Clifton Court back then ? and what was the main bird ?
Thank you for any information.

Leonard, sorry to miss your post, but it was great talking to you on the phone. Lyn and Lee built their boats during the seventies. I bought my boat from them in the late seventies for $1100, which was a lot of money in those days. Other scull boats new were selling for around $700, which included an oar. As I mentioned to you on the phone, the wind or wave dodger at the top of the cockpit was attached with Velcro on the outside of the combing. Similar to an old-fashion baby buggy cover, an aluminum rod thread through the top of the dodger so it would swing up in place. It was held by two bungee cords attached to each side of the combing. I have no idea how many boats the two Benecia welders made, but the year I ordered mine I was boat number eight or nine. In those days Cliffton Court would have up to a dozen scull boats out on the reservoir during the second half of the season. Everyone anchored up or just took a position. Many of us would lay out a small set of decoys to mark our area. If a bird or two landed between zones, it would be a race to see who became the lead boat. Once it was determined who was closer, the other sculler backed off. In those days pintails were the dominant bird followed by teal and mallards. We had lots of wigeon, redheads and some canvasbacks. Most everyone ignored the spoonbills and rudy ducks. In the afternoons the Canada geese would land out in the middle of the lake. Some scullers would come late after the duck hunters had left. They would set out a dozen geese decoys and anchor off a hundred yards. One old man had built a God-awful scull boat out of wood. It had a high profile. It was so crude that the front end was a section of an old wood door that protruded from the bow, presumably to act as a keel. He had a piece of fire hose wired to an old, solid oar. It would take him over an hour to scull on the birds that landed near his decoys and preened themselves in the afternoon sun. He had patience; however, time passed easily for him as he had a small tv, which ran on batteries. He had ear plugs and his antenna ran all around his cockpit. He was unkept, dirty and down-right unsocial, but he closed to within ten yards before he sat up and fired. He was a legend!

I hope that you will email me next fall, or anytime, to discuss sculling. After so long of an absence from sculling, I am both eager and worried that I may have lost my skills. Sculling requires a lot of skill and finesse on open water. Sometimes it would be so easy that I would scratch my head in wonder. Other days I could do nothing right. I would flare birds and not really understand why they were so spooky. I welcome any insights to add to my article on sculling on the blog, www.fishingtips101.com. Finally, short of taking off by glasses and becoming Mr. McGoo, I hope some sculler out their tells me what he does about wearing glasses!

Dave Archer

Dave,
I see you finally made it to the site,welcome.
You'll meet some great guy's here who are more than willing to share information or exchange ideas.
Post some pics of your build,I'd like to see the boat.
Enjoy.

Thank you for the information on the Lyn Lee scull boat and Clifton Court.
It was nice to talk to you yesterday on the phone there is so much about sculling and it's history that I don't know .
I will email you next fall for sure and let you know how I do .
It's good to hear the old stories and some of the history about scull boat hunting

Yes, it is good to talk to other scullers. I must say, however, that I have revised my opinion on what style of scull boat would best fit your needs. Can you give me a link on how to attach a photograph, or if it is easy just tell me in a post. I am really limited in my computer skills. We have still not hit 70-degrees as of May 18 so I have not begun work on the plug yet. We are at elevation 4100 feet, and it has been an unusually cold spring here. I would like to post a photograph of the rough plug so any help would be appreciated.

Dave Archer

Back