Seaducks in North AL?

Carl

Staff member
Just read a report on one of those sights that charge you to be a member that I used to be a member of until they started charging. Waterfowler.something or another.
Anyway, a guy on there reported killing 3 surf scoters on one of the resevoirs up in Eric's neck of the woods in north AL. He was targeting divers on the big water.
Don't see too many of those down this way to often.
My partner killed a whitewing about 5 years ago on Mobile Bay and we saw a surf flying with a flock of 'bills once. Only two I can say I've ever seen here.

a buddy and I each got a juvi drake surf scoter while out hunting a very landlocked lake here in N/Central FL. We had to look it up. Apparently it's not uncommon for them to fly down the coast here and then cut across N FL to get to the Gulf. Wierd, but kinda cool.

Carl

My nephew shot one up here a few years back. A couple lost scoters are taken each year.

Jeff Bowen told me about that report (http://www.waterfowler.com/...3:m-1-:img-5-1-1-1-1-) from someone named JS Wilson. If you pay close attention to what he wrote he said he killed a limit in the morning and then went back out and bagged the scoters and some divers in the afternoon. Can you get any DUMBER????? The guy is a field reporter and openly posts about his poaching. Probably was so excited about bragging his days kill he forgot to filter out all that law breaking stuff. Too bad the Game Wardens won't write him a ticket on his own stupid confession.

The older I get the fewer waterfowlers I like.

Eric

p.s. Just found this post of his too http://www.refugeforums.com/...wthread.php?t=577876 Seems this fella (head cheese or whatever he calls himself) can't stop at one website. He wants everyone to know about his double dippin ways.

Last edited:
Yeah they will get lost. Back in 79 or 80 I shot and Old Squaw on Indian lake in Ohio.

To top it all off he doesn't even know what they are!

Pasted from Refuge- "sorry nomenclature confusion they where surf scoters but there are black scoters. all 3 were hens."

we got a lake up here that is quite the ways inland of lake champlain but closer to the ocean that gets more seaducks on a regular basis the the northern part of champlain. the lake is only 3 miles long by 1 mile wide. ive shot surfs, white wings, bills ringnecks, whistlers, and seen buffies, black scoters, oldsquaw and one redhead up there.

quite odd considering all the bread feed mallards that hang out all summer there.

eddie

I had an oldsquaw hen show up on my deer lease in the Texas Hill country about 15 years ago. There is a flock of them that show up in Baffin Bay (Corpus Christi) every year. Know of a number of people that have seen them. Last year a game warden friend of mine saw a pair of Surfs on a power plant lake in Central Texas. 2 years ago one of my coonass friend in SE Texas shot a Pacific Black Brant in a rice field spread. Now that dude was lost.

It seems whenever a Sea Duck is shot around here it is a juvenile bird. Guess juvies must get lost easier. My theory at least.

Nothing like admitting to breaking the law on the internet. When I first read it I thought it was two different days. Dooooohhhh

Back