September Beauty's

jode hillman

September has to be one of my favorite months. The weather is cooling off, fish and waterfowl are getting busy stocking up for winter.

Here in NJ september also means the biggest crabs of the year start to feed ravenously to beat the approaching cold. They put on size fast and in the best locales get huge.

Last night was one of those perfect night, no wind, near full moon, and plenty of crabs. I was lucky to bring home a few real nice ones. Over 33" of crab in these two pics, the biggest is over 8.5 across the shell and a claw span of over 20!

Damn! If I didn't already have plans on going Sat., I would be making them after looking at your brutes. I hope we get some approaching the size of your smallest pictured. Way to set the bar.

Scott

looks good what time is diner

LOL...........6:30..right after soccer practice!

Thanks guys for the comments. In all reality I am real lucky to hit on a spot that doesn't get much pressure, has plenty of food, and has good water quality.

That being said I let alot of 6" crabs go in June and July so they can get to this size come September.

I've caught some nice blue crabs before but those are MONSTERS!

Man cana you imagine them as soft shells!!!!!

No I can't! That would be to much goodness to take. I have netted a bunch of soft shells this year....is it wrong to have them for breakfast, lunch and dinner?

Last edited:
Interesting, I'm hearing terrible stories down here on the Chesapeake but those are some nice keepers.

Thanks , Yes, I have heard the stories first hand too! I have friends that crabs Md. And several had made trips to Jersey this year! Talk about backwards.

Overall it has been somewhat slower this year than normal but several spots have been having banner years despite the cold winter and habitat changes due to Sandy. One thing about nature is change is inevitable...some good , some bad we just have TP try and do our best to adapt.

I don't think they get that big in Texas, either the wrong kinda water or too much pressure or too many rednecks!

You're killin' me Jode!

For the first time since we've been married, (will be 33 years next month), we didn't make it to the East Coast this season. We always stop for "crabs" on the way there, eat a bunch while we are there, and then stop again on the way home.

We sure missed them this summer. Even to the point of considering having a bushel shipped to us. But then we realized it would actually be more economical, and probably a little more enjoyable, to just drive out there for a weekend.

Thanks...

Jon

Back