Sewing a Canvas Blind

Tyler Hill

So I have a few questions on sewing 1000D canvas for a blind. I bought the canvas which has a waxy waterproof coating on the inside and some thread from the same dealer. The thread is #69 - T70 nylon thread. Is this what I want to be using? It said it was suitable for outdoor use and that it could be used with an 18 or 20 needle on a machine.

I tried using it the other evening with an 18 and it went fine for a couple stitches but then one of the braided strands must have broken and it spiraled up to the needle if that makes sense - similar to fitting a 3 braid rope through an eye that was too small and one of the braids just stayed right on the other side of the eye and never went through. I had some thread that was just a little thinner (not sure of size or material) that worked great. I have searched on this subject and I know there is a recent thread on the blind build. I am just trying to figure out how every one is making theirs. I have access to a decent home sewing machine but not industrial/upholstery sized.

Tyler

Tyler,

When I did mine I used a regular sewing machine and polyester thread. I was only sewing 500D nylon but it Zipped through it very nicely. Ask you local sewing machine shop and they might recommend a different needle style for that material (different point geometry). I've sewed some pretty thick stuff including leather with my machine by just fine tuning the needle. I found the experience of the ladies at the sewing center invaluable. Another source for info would be the fabric stores. Again, invaluable experience.

Hello Tyler -
The alternative to sewing is using a product called Bish's tear mender. Cut your canvas an glue it! This is a latex product, its waterproof and lasts. It dries very fast and is pretty easy to work with. If you have any questions email me.

Greg

Tyler~

I buy my canvas supplies from SailRite or sailmakerssupply. I think I use V92 thread. Other big aids are seamstick - a double-sided tape you use to hold the pieces together (instead of pins) before and during sewing. Definitely get a bunch of pre-wound bobbins. I think the needles are #19/120.

I use a stock Sears Kenmore sewing machine - wedding gift from my parents in 1975. I'll be using it later today.

NOTE: Getting thread tension just right is the key to happiness when using a sewing machine - which can be VERY frustrating.....

All the best,

SJS

Thanks everyone. I tried to stop at a marine upholstery shop yesterday but they were closed. I will try a couple others today and maybe a fabric store if I can find the time. I almost have the frame built and hoping to start on the cordura over the weekend. Ill post up what I end up doing.

Tyler

Tyler~

One other thought: On a couple of my earlier projects - didn't really have the right thread, etc, I would bring my "finished" product to a canvas shop and then ask them to run over the major seams with their machine - for strength. It was done for a nominal charge - and one guy offered me a job!

All the best,

SJS

Back