shotgun stock

what's wrong with the buttstock that's on it? If it's only that it's been shortened at some point you can just make up a spacer and put a new buttplate on. Other than that I bet the only option is a custom stockmaker which will probably cost you more than the gun is worth.

The stock has a split about 3 inches long on the side. The other side is okay. It developed when I used to shoot a lot of geese with 3 1/2 BB's

The best thing to do with your problem is to get some of Brownells Acraglas beading and repair epoxy for gun stocks. If there is oil in the stock in the area in need of repair, you will have to get the oil out. If this happened in an area with metal inletting, (stock bolt into the cross lug) then this area will have to bedded with above epoxy. You may have to carefully cut a little relief at the back of the top or bottom of the metal tang where it contacts the stock. This is where stock splits usually happen. Use the dye pack to color the compound and make it a little lighten in color than the wood. A local gun shop may carry this epoxy or you can get it from Brownells. You can try contacting Brownells to get some help with you repair.

I was recently restored a Wards Hercules 410 for my son to use when he gets old enough. the gun was in terrible shape with rust and 3 cracks in the stock. I used rust remover, wire brush, different grades of extremly fine sand paper, and emory cloth on the metal before re-bluing. The stock i repaired with epoxy mixed with walnut dust i collected by sanding. The stock is as strong as ever and the cracks are only noticable if you knew where they were bore the repair. the gun came out really nice and i kick myself for not taking any before and after pics. Repairing what you have isnt that hard. You just have to take your time.

Doug

Did you epoxy the inside as well or only the outside? Did you carve a small groove along the crack to give the epoxy better adhesion or just epoxy on top of the crack?

One of the splits was so bad that i pulled the 2 pieces apart, doweled them and epoxied it all back together. the other 2 cracks that werent as bad i cut a "V" into the wood along the crack, and pulled the wood apart just enough to get the resin down in the crack. I then added my saw dust and resin once that was tacky enough to take the clamp off. I sanded everything once cured, tacked the stock with mineral spirits, and put several coats of oil finish on it.
Take you stock off when you go to choose your wood to make the dust to add to your resin. I took mine to a fine woodworking shop and looked through their carving/turning blocks and found one where the tones in the wood matched the stock pretty good.
Im not sure what the name of the tool is but i have a hand tool that cuts a V into the wood for carving. I used this instead of a knife because i was worried that the knife would follow the grain and create a larger cut than i wanted. Might have worried to much but it worked for me. Like i said i wish i had pics to share but i hope this helps. Good luck.

Back