Sled tip request.

Scott Farris

I've painted up some sillies and have the cross bars sealed and painted. Next step is assembly. I'm trying to decide if I should sand off the paint at the contact points to get a good epoxy bond or if I'm better off using a construction adhesive on the painted surfaces and relying more heavily on the screws. Thoughts? I've used Luan for the sillies and 1X3 strapping for the cross bars.

I'm also trying to decide whether it's worth painting brown eyes on the black colored heads.

Scott

Scott,

Any glue you use, no matter if it is epoxy or construction adhesive is only as good as the sub surface. I'd remove the paint prior to bonding with either one. Simple matter to touch up as needed to protect the final product.

I've used heavy duty construction adhesive on my sleds. If you can, bare wood to bare wood is best. In the past, I've put a piece of masking tap on the side of the silo that will join to the cross piece. Just peel if off when you are ready to glue and screw. Don't worry about painting on the eyes, unless you really, really want to. If they get that close to notice, they'll be dead anyway!

Nate

scott, i wouldnt bother removing the paint. use gorilla glue and a 1 1/4" galv. deck screw and you shouldnt have any problems. if your doing scoters, i wouldnt bother with eyes. maybe on scaup or others ducks with bright eyes but not brown eyes. the detail of eyes is probably more for the hunter than the hunted anyways. best, mark

I've had good luck with Liquid Nails Heavy Duty or some of the other heavy duty construction adhesives out there. Don't be afraid to put a big gloop on there. About the size of a tomato worm!

Nate

I just got a chance to sneak back on site from work. I do appreciate the input although I'm leaning toward Mark's suggestion to not remove the paint (which obviously I was hoping to hear). They will only be used occasionally and if they start to loosen up a) I will report for the next guy & b) I'll sand the sealer and paint off then and reattach. So unless someone chimes in stating they tried it and it failed miserably, I'll be lazy. And no they are not scoter although I have enough luan & strapping left to make a set of them too. I'm carefully not saying the "B" word because I don't want Tod to think I'm gearing up to compete with him. I may however sneak out if he's off in the desert killing little tweaty birds and dodging cactus spines. I do want to see what Tod comes up with for Pete's snake and cactus armor.

Thanks guys
Scott

ps: I'm still open for being told I'm crazy, and why you think so.

Last edited:
I just got a chance to sneak back on site from work. I do appreciate the input although I'm leaning toward Mark's suggestion to not remove the paint (which obviously I was hoping to hear). They will only be used occasionally and if they start to loosen up a) I will report for the next guy & b) I'll sand the sealer and paint off then and reattach. So unless someone chimes in stating they tried it and it failed miserably, I'll be lazy. And no they are not scoter although I have enough luan & strapping left to make a set of them too. I'm carefully not saying the "B" word because I don't want Tod to think I'm gearing up to compete with him. I may however sneak out if he's off in the desert killing little tweaty birds and dodging cactus spines. I do want to see what Tod comes up with for Pete's snake and cactus armor.

Thanks guys
Scott

ps: I'm still open for being told I'm crazy, and why you think so.

That would be priceless, you shooting my birds in my spots when I'm not there.

It would be priceless? I'm hoping to make a killing selling seats to the highest bidders.

I was hoping to hit you up for the most active spots for a small piece of the action.

Scott

ps: If we were still single I'd be trying for a copy of your little black book too....

Last edited:
and scott, when you do go to tods spots, please post large pics with full background on the internet for everyone to see!
It would be priceless? I'm hoping to make a killing selling seats to the highest bidders.

I was hoping to hit you up for the most active spots for a small piece of the action.

Scott

ps: If we were still single I'd be trying for a copy of your little black book too....

Scott

Shouldn't be a surprise. Over and OUT.

Last edited:
dont worry about the glue at all. just screw em, with two in each piece of strapping... i made some like that a few years ago and they wouldnt float right, i suspect due to luan not being boyant enough, seems the ganon clips combined with the tide pulled em nose down, even when rigged with a bunch of full birds up front. hope you have a better go, but i wouldnt spend too much time agonizing over glue bonding strenght. also, if someone steps on em in the boat, the luan will break before the glue or screw will give out.

Back