snacks and anything else

chad

What kind of snacks and other goodies do you take out hunting. Or homemade goods.

Mine are coffee, candy bars, PB&J sandwiches.

I almost forgot sardines and crackers.

Normally: hot chocolatte, mini hershey bars, honey buns, sardines, crackers, vienna sausages.

I usually cook breakfast in the boat eggs, scrapple, sausage, pork roll, sometimes steak we get creative.
IMAG0370.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What kind of snacks and other goodies do you take out hunting. Or homemade goods.

Mine are coffee, candy bars, PB&J sandwiches.

I almost forgot sardines and crackers.

I only take a large thermos of hot black coffee along. Don't get me wrong, I do think of food. As soon as the hunt is over I head for the small Mexican restaurant and dine in luxury while eating a breakfast burrito smothered in green chile. I have been known to cut some hunts short if I am especially hungry.
Al

Jerky, forgot the mention the duck jerky, just started making that last year.

I've always figured "groceries" as we call them, any type of foodstuff, is a very important part of a hunt.

Funny, it seems that no matter what I pack, who ever I'm hunting with has something better. I could spend a half hour making a beautiful, fine quality, (or what I think is quality), three meat-two cheese-lettuce-tomato-fancy gourmet bread sandwich. My partner can pull out a plain, 'ole bologna sandwich on white bread, and it will seem to taste better. I used to have a hunting partner where it was a given- I would pack his lunch, he would pack for me. (Maybe his wife packed mine, that's why they were so good?).

Nowadays, I have a little stove and cookset. Sometimes it will be bacon or sausage, eggs, hash browns and biscuits, or stuffed scrambled eggs with cheese, meat and veggies. Sometimes sliced and fried bratwurst. A lot depends on the time, action and weather.

Lately, those little canned vienna sausage mixed with a can of and beans will do the trick. It's quick and simple, and can be ate easily enough right out of the pan.

When we hunt the East Coast, I'll often take a few lemons, a little horeradish and an oyster knife. Never a shortage of fresh oysters along the shore during low tide. Shuck-em and add a few crackers or fresh bread. Yum!

I'm not a coffee drinker, so I either pack a thermos of Hot Cocoa or take a thermos of hot water and a few tea bags.

If I ever get a bigger boat, I will make sure I have galley facilities aboard. I can tell my wife I'll need that just in case I get stuck somewhere overnite... ya never know.

Jon

I can't go duckhunting without food. I would make it tell daylight. Then the hunt would be over . I love to here about the different stuff you all like to take . Jon I would of never though of oysters. Maybe we need a duck boat cookbook.

After Irene up here we had extra MRE's and those things make awesome meals on the go and theyre simple to pack. Coffee is always appreciated too

Sandwich(es), lots of water, a bottle of powerade, Cliff bars (I always have Cliff bars handy), some hot tea (if it's a late season hunt), chocolate chip cookies, an apple or two. I also usually bring a peanut butter and jam (not jelly) sandwich, just in case...

My favorite is the day after Thanksgiving with turkey and cranberry sauce sandwiches. And it never fails, if the ducks aren't flying, start eating. It could be dead for hours, I start eating a sandwich and here they come.

My favorite is the day after Thanksgiving with turkey and cranberry sauce sandwiches. And it never fails, if the ducks aren't flying, start eating. It could be dead for hours, I start eating a sandwich and here they come.

So true Kevin, just last season as soon as i started my sandwich "they" came, i dropped the sandwich and picked the gun, "they" got away and damn dog got the sandwich, he gulped the whole thing down in like few seconds.

I was curious just exactly I ate while duck hunting so I kept track one day.

The sun was beginning to gray the eastern sky and the only sound that could be heard is the steady crunching of Chex Mix. I glanced at my watch and it was 22 minutes till legal. Plenty of time to finish the first snack of the day. Five minutes after I crumple the empty bag and stow it in my jacket pocket. It is time to load my A5. I instinctively reached for 3 shells from the belt on my waist and oddly enough the shape and red color remind me of the cans of Vienna Sausages stored in my boat's tool box. Laying my gun and shells aside I opened the can and reached out from under the blind to pour the packing water into the swamp. This turned out to be a big mistake as a flock of Blue winged teal fluttered to a halt in the decoys, 20 yards from the boat. I reached for the Browning and knocked over my thermos of coffee also spilling an half eaten package of Twinkies into the water in the bottom of the boat. The teal headed for the next county. To console myself I polished off 2 cans of Vienna sausage. I loaded the scattergun and sat back to enjoy my first cup of coffee. Several minutes pass with only a few red winged black birds and 3 ibis passing over my deeks and then... I spotted them. A pair of teal, skimming just above the water make a straight as an arrow approach to my spread. The 12 gauge roars twice and breaks the early morning silence. A brace of teal now lay on the water with their feet in the air. Time to celebrate so I broke out the dough nuts. They are only mini dough nuts so I eat a dozen. They go well with a second cup of coffee. Twenty minutes passed with no action so I reached toward the cooler for a cheese stick. Luckily I noticed the 3 mottled ducks on final approach before they saw me.  I waited for a few more seconds before swinging on the drake. The 2 hens that were with him will probably try that again sometime but with 1 shot I made sure he never will. Seeing that big bird with his orange feet kicking in the air reminded me that I have a Ziplock bag of mottled duck jerky in my jacket pocket so I made short work of the few strips I had. Suddenly the skies opened up and ring necks were falling down on me from every direction. Winchester must have sent them because I was loading and shooting as fast as I could and yet not one of them were falling. Twelve shells later my nerves were rattled so I reached for the only thing I know that can bring calm and make me think straight ...a bag of chips and a Mountain Dew (and a few cheese sticks, a handful of cashew nuts and a hard boiled egg with Tabasco sauce). With renewed vigor I stood to meet the next onslaught of the little divers and with 3 well placed shots, the Browning and I put down 3 to finish the day...if you don't count the 7 shots it took to finish them off. After I gathered my birds and my decoys. I put my feet up on the side of the boat and celebrated my good fortune with 2 peanut butter sandwiches, a sleeve of fig newtons and a diet Coke.
Six ducks, a box of shells and 2500 calories. I have had 2 duck, 2 boxes of shells and 1100 calorie hunts. It was not too long ago that I had a no duck, no shells 150 calorie hunt so this one goes down in the books as a great day to me.

Ron, the other folks in the office think I have finally lost my mind, sitting here by myself belly laughing. It also reminds me why I always put on weight in duck season.

About the only thing mentioned in this thread that hasn't been part of my routine is the vienna sausages and they will be in the future. My doctor thinks I eat way too many pepperettes and I only eat them when I duck hunt. Maybe my wife told her I hunt too much. LOL

Some of my other favorites while on a hunt or fishing trip is tinned smoked oysters, kippered herring or smoked clams. Of course they all require crackers and a bottle of hot sauce.

Priceless

I was curious just exactly I ate while duck hunting so I kept track one day.

The sun was beginning to gray the eastern sky and the only sound that could be heard is the steady crunching of Chex Mix. I glanced at my watch and it was 22 minutes till legal. Plenty of time to finish the first snack of the day. Five minutes after I crumple the empty bag and stow it in my jacket pocket. It is time to load my A5. I instinctively reached for 3 shells from the belt on my waist and oddly enough the shape and red color remind me of the cans of Vienna Sausages stored in my boat's tool box. Laying my gun and shells aside I opened the can and reached out from under the blind to pour the packing water into the swamp. This turned out to be a big mistake as a flock of Blue winged teal fluttered to a halt in the decoys, 20 yards from the boat. I reached for the Browning and knocked over my thermos of coffee also spilling an half eaten package of Twinkies into the water in the bottom of the boat. The teal headed for the next county. To console myself I polished off 2 cans of Vienna sausage. I loaded the scattergun and sat back to enjoy my first cup of coffee. Several minutes pass with only a few red winged black birds and 3 ibis passing over my deeks and then... I spotted them. A pair of teal, skimming just above the water make a straight as an arrow approach to my spread. The 12 gauge roars twice and breaks the early morning silence. A brace of teal now lay on the water with their feet in the air. Time to celebrate so I broke out the dough nuts. They are only mini dough nuts so I eat a dozen. They go well with a second cup of coffee. Twenty minutes passed with no action so I reached toward the cooler for a cheese stick. Luckily I noticed the 3 mottled ducks on final approach before they saw me. I waited for a few more seconds before swinging on the drake. The 2 hens that were with him will probably try that again sometime but with 1 shot I made sure he never will. Seeing that big bird with his orange feet kicking in the air reminded me that I have a Ziplock bag of mottled duck jerky in my jacket pocket so I made short work of the few strips I had. Suddenly the skies opened up and ring necks were falling down on me from every direction. Winchester must have sent them because I was loading and shooting as fast as I could and yet not one of them were falling. Twelve shells later my nerves were rattled so I reached for the only thing I know that can bring calm and make me think straight ...a bag of chips and a Mountain Dew (and a few cheese sticks, a handful of cashew nuts and a hard boiled egg with Tabasco sauce). With renewed vigor I stood to meet the next onslaught of the little divers and with 3 well placed shots, the Browning and I put down 3 to finish the day...if you don't count the 7 shots it took to finish them off. After I gathered my birds and my decoys. I put my feet up on the side of the boat and celebrated my good fortune with 2 peanut butter sandwiches, a sleeve of fig newtons and a diet Coke.
Six ducks, a box of shells and 2500 calories. I have had 2 duck, 2 boxes of shells and 1100 calorie hunts. It was not too long ago that I had a no duck, no shells 150 calorie hunt so this one goes down in the books as a great day to me.

Big Stanley thermos of coffee is a must. PBJs are an absolute. The boy takes a big thermos of hot cocoa. Got to keep the boy warm. Typically a bag of sunflower seeds are in my bag. Soup warmed with a jet boil has made an appearance a few times. Might try that more often. Warm is good.

Thinking about trying the egg sandwich thing this year in the boat blind.

-----------

Back