Sneakbox repair help

Sean Simoes

I have an old sneakbox not sure the maker I have had it for a couple years now and I have a little blemish on the bottom so I sanded it down to the wood it's probably about 4 inches round that I took down bare I bought west systems epoxy resin and was going to re glass it in that spot but I was thinking about redoing the whole bottom after I had that little spot all done. Do I have to take all the paint off the bottom? This Parker duck boat paint is no joke getting off. I would appreciate it if anyone could give me some input on if I should take all the paint off down to the glass or go over the paint just make sure there's no loose paint.? Has anyone glasses over paint & did it come out okay ?
Thanks !

Sean, got to get rid of all the paint. Use it for the season and strip it down to bare wood.
Did a jersey boat years ago in the basement years ago and it lasted a long time.
As others have done, spend time now, it will last forever.

Sean~

To my mind, it really depends on how well the rest of the 'glass is adhered to the wood. If it is truly difficult to remove and has only occasional worn spots, I would probably just do the best I could with patches like you describe. I have an old (1920s) Benjamin Hallock Scooter in the yard right now. I had intended to burn off all the 'glass and re-cover the entire boat. However, the existing 'glass was so well-adhered that I could not justify the time or cost. I decided to repair just bow and stern - where wood was exposed - and leave the rest.

More important is to inspect the whole boat carefully each year to see if any large-scale failure is beginning.

Hope this helps,

SJS

You just can not re glass over old polyester or vinyl-ester glass. If it is separating in one spot it will more than likely come off in other places as well. Steve is right, if you can pull it off with your hands it is time to replace and use Epoxy Resin. The old glass with poly or vinyl will come off from moisture from the inside and or a compromise from the out side. ( WET WOOD)
Phil

Dave~

Understood. One can use epoxy resin over paint BUT....I would still grind off most of the paint if I needed to re-glass the entire hull. However, that gets into the risks of grinding the paint without harming the underlying 'glass. So, one step at a time....

All the best,

SJS

Back