sneakbox value?

Chris Finch

im thinking about putting the sneakbox up for sale, partly because i dont use it and because i like hunting with people. i havent made up my mind and am just wondering how much you guys think it would be worth. i have hunted out of it about 10 times and have taking it cruising a few times

it is a Delvin broadbill that i got it from John Kuhn last lear at Tuckerton. its 1/8" aluminum and has rear decoy racks. i added grass rails, combing, grass flaps, and a dodger this year.

the motor is a 1998 merc 15hp 2 stroke that i bought this year. after getting it back from the shop a few months back i havent had any issues with it. it runs well and the boat flys with it. it has the 6 gallon tank too.

the trailer is a karavan that i bought off a buddy. its in good shape but doesnt have a title.

14670_4571019045248_10762982_n.jpg

399224_4571019805267_697544083_n.jpg

550878_4257215280350_1488910433_n.jpg

546230_4257212280275_1257574063_n.jpg

185116_4257208040169_599048890_n.jpg

Chris,
As you already know, the value of anything is determined by what a willing seller and a willing buyer agree upon. My advice is, think it over carefully. Decide what it’s worth for you to keep it. Based on that, put a price on it, and list it in the classifieds. If someone buys it at your price, then you both should be happy.

Chris, think long and hard... I could kick myself for the boats I have parted with that I wish I had now. Each time I thought I had good reasons to move one to help justify another, but looking back, I wish I had some of them still. Don't sell, boats, guns, or tools unless you must is my advise.

If you have space to store it, dont do it! just keep it for those days when you go solo.

Chris,

Both BillE & I have sneak boxes. A PM or tele. call or two will probably get you company as I know both of us enjoy hunting with company.

Scott

Chris, think long and hard... I could kick myself for the boats I have parted with that I wish I had now. Each time I thought I had good reasons to move one to help justify another, but looking back, I wish I had some of them still. Don't sell, boats, guns, or tools unless you must is my advise.

ditto......

Chris,

Unless it's a burden. I'd say keep it. Like others have said I've bought and sold many but there are a couple I've been kicking myself for a long time over. It's paid for and you'll never find another for what you have invested at this point. And besides you got that sweet merc running now right? Reach out to other's that hunt in sneak boxes. It's a blast to hunt with others yet having you personal mobility to be able to move independently.

I wish all my hunting partners had Broadbill's. The fun we could have meeting at the launch and all going out together would be tops. I haven't used my Broadbill very much the past few years since Thomas goes on every hunt with me, but were it not for that it would be my primary boat. I wouldn't want to give that up unless circumstances mandated it.

just went to grab a mallard to clean up and show off at my sportsmans club and busted a trailer light clean off with my shin. AGH!!!

both my boats are kiddie cornered in my garage. theres room but not much

its fun to hunt out of, but as for mobility the box sucks to push off mud flats by myself it is easier to push the 14 deep v. low water levels always makes me want to take the mud motor,too. i think i would have better luck with a scull boat that i could also hunt out of like a sneak box

both my boats are kiddie cornered in my garage. theres room but not much

You haven't seen a full garage. Table saw, band saw, planer, joiner, generator, rolling tool chest, ample stock of wood and cork, utility trailer, two workbenches, bikes, and up to 7 boats...all in a two car garage...oh yeah, and two cars fit in there too!

I don't have big boats, but I have lots of boats. We don't use every square foot of garage space, we use every cubic foot of garage space.

Chuck

Chris, think long and hard... I could kick myself for the boats I have parted with. Don't sell, boats, guns, or tools unless you must is my advise.

ditto......

Chris,

Look away from the dark green light.
Don't get sucked into this duck boat mania.
I have already been bitten by the bug and there no cure.
Save yourself, give me your boat

Chris,
I went the same route years ago. I had a nice sneakbox built for me by Sammy Hunt in '81. The problem was I hunted with a couple of guys who didn't own boats(and some of the ones that did always had motor problems or equipment failure of some type). I sold the sneakbox for what I paid for it and bought a 16ft deep V with a 25 merc on it. We built a couple of pond boxes and it was a better set up for everything, we could get to and from hunting areas faster with more equipment and people. The pond boxes were comfortable and a lot easier to hide. The problem with trying to store marine equipment you don't use is, the longer it sits the more effort,time and money you will need to get it going again.

not to change the subject her but I would be curious as to some of your storage methods and getting boats up and down.

Andrew

I assume this was direected at me...

The woodstrip canoe and fiberglass sea kayak get wall brackets I made from 2x4 with some cloth padding added. You can see one of them peaking out behind the swans here:

swan034-1.jpg

The double ender has bumped the green canoe out of this nest. There is a couple 2x4 above the drywall spreading the load across 5 (I think) joists. The bolts and nuts are just finger tight, and I can pull one bolt and pivot the 2x6 down out of the way. I usually just do this with one, leaving one in place, and nose the boat up in there, then lift it up as far as I can reach on the floor, grab a step ladder and climb, lift the boat the rest of the way and pivot the 2x6 back into postion. I have thought of adding a pully system to get it up there, then let the boat rest on the pair of 2x6 but like so many projects, too many higher priorities:

IMG_20110415_182357-1.jpg

The light, rotomolded fun kayaks (3 of them) got a modified bike hoist:

untitled3.png

Took off the hooks and replaced with eye bolts, tied on some 1" strap with a clip at the other end:

C53F1686-DFB6-4B53-8B78-F644C2AAC6F4-2887-000005F63EDA5157.jpg

D233B8A8-4662-4E5C-A925-AB8E5B99CDF4-2887-000005F649F59A38.jpg

This is the best system, but the hoist is only rated for 50 pounds. I mounted the 2x4 across multiple joists again, to spread out weight.

Chuck

some yes, It gives me a few ideas. I have a 1432 jon boat that I have used the bike style hoists x 2 (they make some that are rated for 250lbs) it just take a lot to get the boat up and down. the bigger problem is i no longer have my mother in-laws garage to put the trailer with the Herters Goose and Duck Boat in so
i have to figure out a good way that is easy to raise and lower by myself then figure out the trailer been there is no access to the back yard until I can install a door as my garage takes up basically the whole width of my city lot!

Back