So, what is your "Perfect Limit?"

Jon Yenulonis

Fred's recent post about the "perfect limit" got me thinking...

So, what would your perfect limit consist of?

Let's take a look at DIVER limit, PUDDLER limit, and maybe a COMBO of the two.

I think my DIVER perfect limit would be, (six bird limit), all drakes- 1 Canvasback, 1 Redhead, 1 Big Bluebill, 1 Little Bluebill, 1 Goldeneye and 1 Old Squaw.

My perfect PUDDLER limit would be, again, all drakes- 1 Mallard, 1 Black, 1 Gadwall, 1 Widgeon, 1 Pintail and 1 Wood duck.

My combined limit would have to be, again all drakes- 1 Canvasback, 1 Big Bluebill, 1 Little Bluebill, 1 Widgeon, 1 Mallard and 1 Pintail.

I could see a lot of different opinions on this one!

Jon

Well, for divers mine's the same as Fred's-2 cans, 2 redheads, and 3 bluebills. Puddlers would be a bit harder to have an "ideal" of but it's pretty hard to beat 7 drake greenheads. Maybe 2 pinnies, 2 gaddies, a wigeon, and 2 greenheads?

Don't forget to throw in 3 canada geese on top of the ducks-on our opener this year my buddy actually shot a full duck and goose limit in one spot, which is something I have never done. I could have been right there with him but I jammed up my gun trying to quietly switch from duck to goose loads as the geese were coming in, which it turned out I didn't need to do anyway as they came over at about 10 yards while I was sitting with a jammed gun. That's quite a day to remember!

Diver limit would have to be 1 bull can, 1 drake redhead, 1 Greater Scuap, 1 Drake Goldeneye, 1Drake buffie and i wouldnt even need the sixth bird because i would be bouncing off the walls with that limit.
Puddlers- Would be all drakes 1 Gadwall, 1 Wigeon, 1 Pintail, 1 Blue wing teal in January, 1 Shovler, and 1 greenwing teal in january!
If this happened in a day i think i would stop hunting for the rest of season and just take out friends hunting that would be an amazing day!!

Al, If that happened I think you would hear me cheering all the way from NJ! We had shot our first wigeon this year and you would think we won the lottery! But that's what keeps me wanting to go out, never knowing what is going to come take a look at the decoys!!

I still haven't managed that drake pintail yet so that would have to be in there. For the areas I hunt and what is typically seen I would go with drake black duck, drake mallard, drake wigeon, drake gadwall, drake wood duck and then the pintail.

My personal closest to perfect limit from this past season was 1 drake black duck, pair of mallards, pair of gadwall and 1 drake wigeon, though anytime I can shoot a limit of puddlers it's pretty perfect to me.

My one black duck on the coldest nastiest day. It has to be snowing with ice over the decoys. A real black duck, one from Canada that is giant.

Divers (we dont have big boats so we cant play with thie big divers)
4 drake buffies 2 drake hoodies.

Geese i want so badly to pile a 2 man september limit into my scull (30 birds) it probably would have happened if i didn't run out of water all the time

This is an interesting post.......

Divers/ Sea Ducks......Whitewing, Surf, and Black Scoters all drakes along with a "trophy" Old Squaw drake
A limit of Bluebills and Canvasbacks (all drakes) taken over a rig of vintage decoys!

Puddle Ducks.....Black Duck, Pintail Drake (with a nice sprig), Widgeon Drake, Gadwall Drake, and a Mallard Drake taken over a rig of vintage decoys!

Tim

Puddle ducks would be 2 drake pintails, a pair of weigons, 2 grayducks

Divers would have to be 2 bull cans, 2 redheads, bluebill and a goldeneye

Mixed bag would be a pintail drake, mallard drake, GWT, Weigon, redhead and bluebill

6 Black ducks over a hand carved cork rig in my favorite marsh on the South shore of LI.

I don't need 6 black ducks. For a limit within potential reach on a great day, I'll take the 4 I could get over in New Bruswick, and throw in 2 drake goldeneyes.
Shermie, you in?

If I get to really dream, a black, 4 GW teal drakes, and drake pintail.

Eating seems to always come first with what I like to shoot. So divers - Canvasbacks & Redheads, shot in Canada. Puddlers - Wood Ducks & Teal. Plus I can't forget the "in between duck", Ringnecks. For all, mostly drakes..... but a hen or two, always catch pellets not intended.

Here is one of mine from last year That I don't think could be any better. I shot the baldpate (one of my favorite birds), my buddy chose a mallard for that spot in his. Heck of a day though

To me a perfect limit is to shoot your limit of whatever you set out to take.
If you set up and choose to shoot only drake mallards and you get your limit it is a perfect limit. If you set out to take a limit of only drake redheads and you do so, you have taken a perfect limit. If that limit is a pair of redheads, a pair of hoodies and a pair of GW teal and you manage it, well done, you have achieved your perfect limit. For many folks a perfect limit is any limit, self imposed or otherwise. As noted, one black duck might be a perfect limit for some.
A perfect day is any day spent in the field doing what I love to do!

Here's mine from this past week
IMG_20140123_224711.jpg

A perfect greater scaup limit from last year with a perfect Pat Gregory decoy. Speaking of Pat, has he posted recently?
D5B1B9EA-EB76-430D-BCF3-EC5F3820061D-21760-00001E89AC15FF5B.jpg

An almost perfect 3 man greater limit the next day. The center bird was a hen, the other 2 were juvy drakes. An experienced biologist buddy shot the hen in the heat of the moment. This hunt took place in less than 2 hours.
AF208A2A-E46F-45B9-B833-80501A7D7B50-21760-00001E899892FEE8.jpg

Back