Some boat work...

D

Davey W

The Estuary I picked up a few months ago was in great shape, the only issue I had was cracked caulk between the deck fairings. The deck was untreated Mahogony and I decided to seal it up. I went the route of West Systems Epoxy with fairing filler in place of caulk, followed by 4 coats of West system over top of fiberglass cloth. Once the epoxy work was completed, I rolled on 2 coats of marine based primer followed by a coat of Petit marine paint mixed with interlux non-skid material and then 2 more coats of marine paint on top of that. It really came out nice, but the important thing is that the deck is 100% waterproof and weathertight now.

The deck after sanding the old paint and stripping the caulk.

1248728485_NzfX7-L.jpg

4 coats of West System later...
1248728666_xhNjc-L.jpg

Some wet primer...
1248729187_v7BDF-L.jpg

After 2 coats of paint on the deck and hull...

1248729012_DHEQt-L.jpg

1248728831_j3SmH-L.jpg

Davey,

Do you know what the story is behind the motor bracket? First I've seen on one of Dave's boats.

Thanks,
Ryan

Ryan, I suspect the motor bracket was needed for the Merc. I remember Dave Clark building with a motor well for Mercs, and a motor board for OMC and Yamaha. Had something to do with the position and configuration of the cavitation plate, and length of a SS motor. If you look at Davey's motor, it is sitting lower than you could mount on a traditional motor board. The Estuary is deeper than most BBSB hulls, so some accommodation must be made for some motors. I get there is evidence of a motor board behind that bracket.

Dave

Thanks guys. The motor board is actually a cmc pt90 trim unit. I installed a marine battery forward and the toggle switch for the trim is mounted to an electrical panel. I am installing electric start on the motor complete with charging kit once it arrives from mercury. Building a hatch cover today. The paint is Petit marsh brown.

Thanks, Davy. That is what I thought it was. I have been using a lot of Petit duck Boat brown lately. I have some of both the marsh grass and dead grass that will go on the new sneaakboat.

Back