South American duck ID help

Jon Walczak

Four outta five denists surveyed in duck camp this past week believe this might be a black headed diving duck . But outher traits and features suggest not . Tail feathers, body feathers, and markings scream diver . Yet the feet position and the bill are saying puddler . So what am I ?

Cool duck. I had to look that one up but according to my ID book it is an adult female Black Headed Duck.

Tim

jon, i did the research and found it to be a female black headed duck--head on male is MUCH darker====the notations were from aves de argentina and a google for blackhead---it does look divery in the shots because it shows a low on water profile, but is , nonetheless, a puddler That was the oddie that stumped us for a while---Have only seen two others in five years, and they both were machos--this was the first hembra. they are the original maisey birds--lay eggs in coot nests or pochards--the juvies are independent immediately upon hatching--talk about your little orphan duckies!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Pete, go to web
WWW.birds of Argentina.com
pretty good reference, although i think the person running the site is a closet petaphile!

Tim,

What "book" are you using for the ID? I'd like to get a good one before we head down in 2 weeks.

Pete

Here's the book I have. http://www.amazon.com/Waterfowl-Identification-Guide-Ducks-Geese/dp/0395467268
It is pretty good and has nice info about all waterfowl of the world. The only thing you have to watch out for is that for some reason some of the illustrations don't line up with the name and maps but they are numbered to help stop confusion.

Good luck on the trip.

Tim

Back