Spokeshaves!

Rutgers

Over the past year or so I managed to accumulate some requests for spokeshaves. I decided to make a total of 16, which turned into 15 as the heat treater lost one. I knew I wouldn't have the time to work all the metal myself, and with as hot as its been this summer there was no way I was going to fire up my forge (woodstove with shopvac blower) so I decided to have a freind machine the irons for me out of some O1 and send them out for heat treating. Sounded pretty easy, just sharpen them up and make a stock right? Kind of. I seem to have forgotten that its the sharpening and tuning that takes the longest! I probabally have more than 2 hours into each one, but I'm pretty happy with them. I went a little softer than a lot of other guys go on the steel (around 58) so as not to make it too brittle and easy to sharpen. Having talked to a lot of old timer pattern makers and woodworkers, back before rockwell hardness turned into the a big marketing tool, many guys that worked with hand tools years ago prefered something a bit softer. I'm not saying that harder doesn't have it's place, but for a chisel, gouge, shave etc, I lean to a tad softer and just sharpen regularly. Most of the stocks are hard maple one is jarrah. I like Jarra and for as dense as it is its not a bad wood to work, but just having a little difficulty getting it right now. Now to find some boxes and ship them out. I have seven left to make, but I think I'll take a break for a week or so, my fingers hurt from sharpening!

ry%3D400

Have a great weekend,

paully

Last edited:
Pauly,

Those look beautiful, man! I've been waiting a long time for this post...so you've got to put my name on one of those shaves. Knowing you, that blade will shave the hair off my arm and the craftmanship will last a life time. Just let me know your price and when I can come visit and pick it up. That mallard I started this summer needs some TLC that a draw knife just can't give, LOL.

Paul, been away a few days. If any are left please let me know. Great looking tools

Bill V

Paul, I am really looking forward to receiving my Spokeshave. That Jarrah is a good looker. I have a huge chunk of red cedar from Tom Newell that I am going to shave. I am glad I got on the waiting list a few months back. Looks like you will not have any leftovers.

Thanks for the kind words. I'm sorry, but I do not have any available right now. I wish I did. I can make some more this winter. If you'd like one, shoot me a PM and I'll be sure you get one when I make some more. THanks, Paully

Back