Spotlights and running lights

So with the recent project boat I have going I had the thought of spotlights and running lights cross my mind. I ran into tractor supply today to pick up some chicken food and happened to walk by the flashlights. Specifically they had some cordless hand held lights and they ranged in the 400, 900 and 1200 lumens range. I have a friend who has a mountain bike headlight that is 900 lumens and that darn thing is brighter than my car headlights! I haven?t bought a spotlight since the old cigarette lighter plug in style days and his light is really the only thing I have to compare to. I?m thinking that I will not have a battery on board to save on weight. This also brings up the necessity of running lights that are self contained. I haven?t got any further on researching what is available in that department other than a passing thought at this point. So my questions are: 1) what do you use for spotlights (primarily cordless) and 2) what do you use for running lights on a boat that will not have a battery?

Thanks,
David Walton

Search my name for info on lights. I?ve written a couple of posts on spotlights and headlamps. What to look for and what to a avoid.

For a spotlight I use one of the Stanley Fat Max lights. You can decide how mich light you want verses size of the light. I didn?t go with the biggest one and I have more than enough light.

For a nice headlamp, I went with the Fenix HL60R. Lots of reasons. It was UAV rechargeable, ran off of 18650 lithium batteries, has the right color temperature and so on.

For running lights, I installed permanent lights. Then I found a small snap shut box and put a motorcycle or small ATV battery inside. Only have to recharge that battery twice a year.

Mark

Mark W said:
Search my name for info on lights.

For running lights, I installed permanent lights. Then I found a small snap shut box and put a motorcycle or small ATV battery inside. Only have to recharge that battery twice a year.

Mark

I agree with Mark on navigation lights, except I use a small sealed 9 amp battery such as is commonly used for ice fishing sonars.

BTW; search results for "MARK + HEADLAMP" [ninja]

View attachment headlamp.jpg

davidwalton said:
Mark,

The Stanley lights at tractor supply didn?t mention water resistance that I saw. I just searched and saw this one. https://www.amazon.com/...tlight/dp/B003UVCY00 Looks like that might be the way to go for a boat.

Stanley makes a water proof one. It it was bigger and had a goofy switch if I recall correctly. Maybe they have fixed it. Used to be a rotary knob. Ive had mine for years and had zero issues and it isnt waterproof nor water resistant. Just don?t drop it in the lake.

Last edited:
Good morning, David~

Were I still on Long Island - and using my Sneakbox regularly throughout the season - I would install permanent LED running lights with a small battery - as others do.

However, knowing that my restored RED~LEG would get only occasional use, I opted for a different approach. I use battery-powered units intended for inflatables (and, as such, I am not sure of the legality for more conventional, powered duckboats)

Here is a set I installed on a customer's boat:

The lights come with rubber suction cups - which I would not trust under gunning conditions, especially during late-season storms and ice. So, I first made a base on the central thatch rail so that the light would be level:

View attachment 1 Finding level.JPG

I then installed a machine screw from beneath - with a rubber washer to prevent turning.

View attachment 4 Rubber cushion.jpg

Here is the bow light ready-to-use.

View attachment N - Bow light installed.jpg

Although the stern light is supposed to be taller than anything else on the vessel - including the operator standing at the tiller - I opted for a simpler approach that would do 90% of what a stern light should do.

View attachment N - Stern light bolt.JPG

Mounted.....

View attachment N - Stern light installed.jpg

To protect knees and waders et cetera from the forward mounting screw, I made this cover.

Notice, too, that the light is located not right on the bow but further aft, within easy reach of the cockpit - so it can be deployed whilst afloat. If I recall correctly - always a challenge at my advanced age - the law requires that it be forward of amidships.

View attachment Nav lights 10.jpg

A few boats later, I found a different version of the same light - that allowed it to be mounted vertically on a post. So, I could use a socket instead of a machine screw for secure mounting on the foredeck. A rubber stopper keeps the socket clean - and ice-free - when not in use.

Both lights are stored in my emergency kit - so they are out of the weather until I need them.

View attachment 31 Rail F.jpg

BTW: I always have a big spotlight handy when running in the dark. I have not yet caught up with the LED revolution in that regard. I would like to find a strong, waterproof one that is not black or camouflage. My old hand spot was bright yellow so I could always put my hand on it when needed.

All the best,

SJS

Pretty nicely done mounts Steve!

As far as spotlights....I am with Mark: Don't drop it in the lake. I have a spotlight that I got years ago from Tractor Supply by Jobsmart. We used it hunting, walking dogs in rainy and snowy conditions, and gator hunting/scouting. Mine is orange with some black, cuz I am like Steve and prefer one that is not camo or black.

If I were going to look for a new spotlight that needed to be waterproof, I would consider this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Zohi-Waterproof-Rechargeable-Flashlight-Detachable/dp/B08233L2R9/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=waterproof+spotlight&qid=1598525908&s=hi&sr=1-6

It's a bright color, has decent reviews and a decent price.

Dani

I use similar AA battery powered LED lights for my boat. Just the mounts are not as fancy as Steve's!
Think more along the conduit & duck tape lines for mine!

davidwalton said:
So with the recent project boat I have going I had the thought of spotlights and running lights cross my mind. I ran into tractor supply today to pick up some chicken food and happened to walk by the flashlights. Specifically they had some cordless hand held lights and they ranged in the 400, 900 and 1200 lumens range. I have a friend who has a mountain bike headlight that is 900 lumens and that darn thing is brighter than my car headlights! I haven?t bought a spotlight since the old cigarette lighter plug in style days and his light is really the only thing I have to compare to. I?m thinking that I will not have a battery on board to save on weight. This also brings up the necessity of running lights that are self contained. I haven?t got any further on researching what is available in that department other than a passing thought at this point. So my questions are: 1) what do you use for spotlights (primarily cordless) and 2) what do you use for running lights on a boat that will not have a battery?

Thanks,
David Walton
As far as hand held spotlights the Cyclocs 1100 rechargeable has been the best i,ve found for past 5 years. Gives about an hr. on a charge and throws a lot of light. And the best thing about it is its lightweight if you have to run a long distance holding it while runing boat. Very tough as its survived some very rough use without damage. Even use it for trailing deer when required at night. Black Ovis has a good price on them. Can,t help you on the battery operated small boat running lights as my smallest that actually has them is run directly from starting battery. Would suggest you get LED lights though as power draw is minimal and could run from a small portable battery to save weight and space. Small lawnmower battery type posablly. Maybe smaller as it takes nothing to power them. On LED light strips i,ve installed in a couple boats for interior lighting a little 9 volt battery is all I use to test circuit.

[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]As I'm reading through this post I see a lot of people here didn't get the memo. Your posts have question marks where there should be apostrophes.[/font]
[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]
[/font]
[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]To fix this do the following on your iphone:[/font]
[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Settings -> General -> Keyboard and turn off "Smart Punctuation."[/font]
[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]
[/font]
[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Eric[/font]

Last edited:
Thanks for the reminder Eric. Funny thing is I had noticed this and posted on the help forum about it not too long ago. I have a new phone. Oh well, guess I get to do it again.

Josh Schwenger said:
I made this light bar to replace my trolling motor i just used a extra plug and added a switch and fuse. I made a mount from a 1 inch thick plastic cutting board. Light bar is very bright and no cold hands.
Great idea. Was thinking about doing similar to min kota quick detach trolling motor mount on front of my 16' aluminum jon boat.

davidwalton said:
Thanks for the reminder Eric. Funny thing is I had noticed this and posted on the help forum about it not too long ago. I have a new phone. Oh well, guess I get to do it again.

That happens to nearly everyone. Thanks.

Eric

Morning David,

My running lights on my big boat are pretty standard manufacturing style lights. On my smaller boat and canoe, I use some similar to Steve's but not mounted nearly to his precision. For a hand held spot light, I can't say enough about my little/lightweight/rechargeable Defiant. This little light is awesome! It fits perfectly in my blind bag and I'm going into my forth season running my sea duck trips with it, using every morning on the ocean. I use this year round as Dani had mentioned with her's. From camping, to walking dogs to just general around the house use. Holds a great charge, has a locking switch in on and off position and throws a great beam. In stock at my local Home depot too and only $21.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Defiant-450-Lumen-LED-Compact-Rechargeable-Spotlight-99814/305243773

Sorry for the delay David. I don't really know. It has never left me in the dark though, especially duck hunting. I always make sure it has a fresh charge and I'm good to go. I have a new one home because I misplaced my original and then found it, Let me check the packaging.

Back