sSteel shot, old doubles

Not to hijack, but it seems we are all wandering a bit so I beg a question if I may....

I was given an old Knickerbocker 12 double S x S by my mom's business partner. Guy bought it new when he was young, shot it just a few times and then put it in the closet. Well, he died at 92, gave it to me about 15 years ago. Now I have done some checking, I know they are pretty cheap, not worth much over 200 give or take so my thoughts are since it fits me nicely to use it as a shooter. I have not yet taken it to a gun smith to check for the safety of it (it has not be fired in over 70+ years and who knows if there are any issues).

My basic questions would be
1. Any precautions on shell types/speed/shot sizes or other issues that I should watch out for? I am talking probably about only shooting upland with this, probably lead, NOT DUCKS.

2. Any things I should do prior to shooting for the first time?

No secret source Joe, apparently just bad at math.

Bill, I talked with Tom, as you know he has only tested the E-shot t's. Says he expecting the #4 to test and develop load data any day. He thinks E-shot will be less money than "not so well priced Nice Shot".

Eric, I would check chamber lengths, barrel thickness (entire barrel, not just muzzle), and chokes, and then ask the same question regarding shells.

I believe most of the damage done by steel shot was in the beginning, when they had no special wads and large shot. The first damage I ever saw was a ring at the end of the barrel of a Mod. 12. Back then it seemed steel shot was only available in 3's and larger and most were shooting BB and bigger cause it sucked. I shot hevi reloads in my old 11-48 all last season with lead wads (no thick wads in 28's available) and didn't even have a scratch in the barrel. These were 1300+ fps loads that were tested at 9500 psi with slow powders and basically sk choke and more open. The feller who came up with the load shoots no tighter than .005 constriction because it gives the best, most dense patterns..I agree after seeing Mallards come down like wet dishrags. If I were going to shoot an old double with factory steel, I'd get ahold of the ammo maker and see what the pressures tested at.

so you didn't get steel at $5 a box?

Oh yea! I got the $5 steal on steel. I want to thank you Bill for your steel choice selection help. I told the manager what I was looking for and deep in the "archives" he had them. Told me no one wanted steel shells slower than 1400 fps and thought he was stuck with them. We both went away happy!

sweet! did you buy it all? bass pro? If so, I will try mine.

Thats the whole problem everyone thinks faster is better.

BTW on that grulla, did you look into spainish barrel making and strenth? I don't know facts, but always heard spainish barrells are very soft, and they use a method of solder that will break when shooting steel, has to do with vibration. Could be another old wives tale, but still pass it along.

In the latest Double Gun Journal, there is a guy who has six Grullas. He shoots 70 - 80 thousand shots annually (I wish)! Grulla has been around since 1923, if they couldn't hold up, I think some of the problems would be identified by now. In addition Grulla has made guns for Powell and Francotte, both companies with a good reputation. If I shoot it out, it won't be the first gun...that distinction was saved for my BSS.

Back