Stoeger shotguns

Robert Becherer

How many people here use a Stoeger semi-auto for hunting? One of my sons has one and loves it,yet my brother went to a local gun shop to pick up some reloading supplies and inquired about the price of a new one.The guy behind the counter said he would not have one in the store or even take one in trade.When asked why and what kind of problems they may have,all the guy said was " I already told you, I would not have one in the store".Now I thought that was rather rude coming from a shop that is usually pretty nice a customer.Only concern my son has encountered was a feeding situation using lite target loads,which is understandable. I was considering purchasing one because I cant afford the $1000 + ones..I have a Benelli Nova and have had no problems with it except an occasional ejection concern,but I think that was due to having my mittened hand to close to the ejection port and came in contact with the spent case or didn't pump the action completely.

Last edited:
I had a 2000 and had nothing but problems with it. It had to go back to Benelli 3 times and it still wouldn't run right. I was getting light strikes on the primer and the gun wouldn't fire periodically. They finally refunded my money. I wouldn't recommend one....then again I've read alot of guys have the 3500 and love it. That's my $.02.

I don't have any info on stoeger shotguns. I was in the same boat as you last year. I shot a 870 for about 12years great gun. I wanted a semi but didn't/couldn't spend $1000 on one. I read reviews and I was looking at either the Remington 1187 or the Mossberg 930. I went with the Mossberg 930 because it had better reviews and came with more for the price. I got the 930 in max 4 camo with 3chokes ported barrel for $610. I got it for Christmas last year so I used it for a month of last year's duck season and all of this season in the salt marshes of South Jersey. I am very happy with the gun thus far no issues to speak of. I would recommend this gun to someone looking for a good semi who doesn't wanna spend a lot of money. I don't think there is another semi that you can get new with camo dip, ported barrel, 3 choke tubes for under $650. Just another gun to look at. Good luck with your search

A friend bought his last summer,shot a couple hundred rounds trap, and then hunted all season,no problems cycling even in the cold, replaced his 870. $600. If It came in a lefty I would probably try one.

I have a friend who has one and seems to like it, except that it threw its bolt handle and that proved to be both difficult and expensive to replace. I think he finally found one, but it took weeks to find and was going to cost over $50. (For comparison, I just replaced the one for my Beretta with 2 day service for $15, including shipping.) In the meantime he'd jury rigged something with a bolt so he could keep hunting. He's still shooting with the jury rig--either out of spite or yankee thrift.

My other son has a Winchester SX2 and has had zero problems with it. He bought it from a friend that won it as a door prize.His wife shot a SX3 at the last DU show that they had in Oshkosh and she really like that one.But again,kind of out of my budget.

I've had my Stoeger for 5 years - rarely do I clean it
It's been a good gun. Occasssionally, it wont cycle - just spray a little Rem oil & it's back to business.
For the money - a good gun.
My buddy bought a Browning last year - $1200 - we had to dismantle the assembly on a recent duck hunt
So, no matter what gun, there can always be problems.
You want a sure thing - buy an 870.

my $.02
Bruce
Erie, PA

I have owned my Stoeger for 10 years (if not more). I don't recall when I bought it but its been a while. I have never had a problem with it and it been used to hunt all sorts of birds and a few furry critters. I know I don't clean it like i should but it doesn't seem to affect it.

I say guns are like anything else; someone, somewhere has bought one that didn't work right and doesn't like them. Just remember they are man-made and that means they can and will break, some just sooner than others.....

I've had one since 2004. No real issues other than the Beneli Click. They are not the idea gun to go stomping through the willow brush with chasing snowshoe hares. The bolt gets pulled back just a hair and nothing happens when you pull the trigger except for the click.

Decent gun, but you get what you pay, and buying cheap from a Turkish factory is bound to result in an issue or two.

I bought a 3500 semi last year after the sales guy waved me off a Super Vinci. "Same gun and a thousand dollars less " he told me. Well it does weight aboutva pound more, but I shot hundreds of rounds through it in a boat, pass shooting and in pits and shellsvranging from 2.75 to 3.5. Never once had a problem with it.

Back