Susquehanna Flats Style Decoys

Paul Taylor

I have a fella here in SC looking to sell some old hand carved decoys for his dad. He said some are carved by Jim Pierce and some by Madison Mitchell. Are they worth $35-$40 each?

He said the Canvasback appear to be from a mixture of carvers and he is trying to figure out who carved them. One Can has a card labeled Jessie Urie with a head carved by Taylor Boyd.

View attachment Canvasback.JPGView attachment Old decoys.JPGView attachment IMG-0350 (1).JPG

The ones on the table appear to be from Madison Mitchell's shop, including that snappy looking cork drake mallard in front left.
Jess Urie was from Rock Hall.
Frequently, decoys from that area were affixed with heads by other makers, or turned into stove wood.

IF in original paint, that is a very good price indeed.

If not, that is still a good price for good gunning birds, that will still Do The JOB with style.

Recently I read that new LL Bean, cork decoys are $79, per decoy.

So you decide.

my 2 cents
VP

All paint looks original. Many are still rigged and ready to hunt. I'd buy all the decoys but I'd probably wind up single again after 31 years of marriage. :)

When I used to waffle over buying something my good friend would say "If you don't buy it I will.", and that would have me reaching for my wallet. I think that applies here.

Eric

DAYUM, That first hen mallard to left on table is also a Mitchell mallard. I still have some of those along with blacks that occasionally hit the water. I think Bill Mauldin, no relation to terry and the pirates was responsible for the body pattern. Do not quote me, though. Last pair I bought cost me 7$ each. I would go 80 for the pair of corks. Betting there is no signature or date on bottoms. Please check. I could also trade him for a pair of new gunning dekes of my making.

Back