Taking a new boat motor across the Canada border?

D Peters

Hi guys,

Long time lurker - first time poster.

I just bought a brand new in box 115 etec and I will we taking it up to Bankes to have it rigged and painted for my new 19 Crusader next week.

Does anyone know if the border police will give me any trouble taking this across the border?

Thank you, Doug

View attachment etec 1.JPG

Take the receipt and answer their questions honestly. They will not be concerned unless you plan to leave it in Canada. You will likely have more hassles trying to get it back into the USA.

Doug stop in the US and fill out the declaration showing you owned it before it went into Canada so when you come back they don't try and tax you again. Bring all your paper work for the motor and it should take you 20 min. on the US side. In Canada ??? they are more worried you are going to leave it there

Try and get a hold of Jeff Coats. I believe he did the same thing for his 25 titan that he got. It was posted over on the refuge. I believe Bankes is going to be in Havre De Grace did you talk to Bankes about getting it to them there?

Hi guys,

Long time lurker - first time poster.

I just bought a brand new in box 115 etec and I will we taking it up to Bankes to have it rigged and painted for my new 19 Crusader next week.

Does anyone know if the border police will give me any trouble taking this across the border?

Thank you, Doug

Speak to Michael at Bankes he buys motors in the US all the time and brings them back to Canada

Update

Well I got my motor across the border up to Bankes on Monday. At first the Border person said I had to pull over and pay a tax on my 9 thousand dollar motor. "that sure scared me"!! I then showed her my quote and down payment receipt from Bankes and she finally let me go without having to pay any taxes.

My feeling was that taking a new motor into Canada could of went either way depending on the border person.

Update

Well I got my motor across the border up to Bankes on Monday. At first the Border person said I had to pull over and pay a tax on my 9 thousand dollar motor. "that sure scared me"!! I then showed her my quote and down payment receipt from Bankes and she finally let me go without having to pay any taxes.

My feeling was that taking a new motor into Canada could of went either way depending on the border person.

doubt it the receipt from Bankes proved that the boat was comming back to the US and that the motor was not staying in Canada

Back