Talk about lousy timing

Eric Patterson

Staff member
Hostess goes out of business and duck season is only days away. What will I do for my Zingers? Is Krispy Kreme union?

hostess-zinger1.jpg

You'll get your Zingers Eric.You just have to wait for someone to buy the rights to bake them.The bidding starts on Monday.

One day some years ago when I was teaching a 5th grade class, I bought enough Twinkies so that each of my students could have one to eat. After finishing their snack while listening to all the satisfying guttural sounds, I then wrote the Twinkie ingredients on the chalkboard. It was an interesting time for the discussion that followed.
Al

I've left TWINKIES buried in a goose pit that I leave on the ground year round for 10 years . When I finally gott hungry enough , they were TASTEE!

Say it ain't so! I haven't had a Zinger in years (maybe decades) but had them almost every day as a kid...oh, maybe it's my fault...I should have kept up the addiction to keep the company solvent.

And Al and Jack, a Twinkie is NOT a Zinger, not even a substitute!

Ebay. $100/pack and you should be able to find them for the next 10 years, or their shelf life.

Mark W

You'll get your Zingers Eric.You just have to wait for someone to buy the rights to bake them.The bidding starts on Monday.

Apparently the bidding has ended. The package on my desk in front of me is a package of Zingers that say Dolly Madison Bakery....:)

http://hostessbrands.com/Closed.aspx

Hostess Brands is Closed.
We are sorry to announce that Hostess Brands, Inc. has been forced by a Bakers Union strike to shut down all operations and sell all company assets. For more information, go to hostessbrands.info. Thank you for all of your loyalty and support over the years.

HOSTESS BRANDS TO WIND DOWN COMPANY AFTER BCTGM UNION STRIKE CRIPPLES OPERATIONS
Friday, November 16, 2012 at 7:00AM
Irving, TX – November 16, 2012 – Hostess Brands Inc. today announced that it is winding down operations and has filed a motion with the U.S. Bankruptcy Court seeking permission to close its business and sell its assets, including its iconic brands and facilities. Bakery operations have been suspended at all plants. Delivery of products will continue and Hostess Brands retail stores will remain open for several days in order to sell already-baked products.
The Board of Directors authorized the wind down of Hostess Brands to preserve and maximize the value of the estate after one of the Company’s largest unions, the Bakery, Confectionery, Tobacco Workers and Grain Millers International Union (BCTGM), initiated a nationwide strike that crippled the Company’s ability to produce and deliver products at multiple facilities.
On Nov. 12, Hostess Brands permanently closed three plants as a result of the work stoppage. On Nov. 14, the Company announced it would be forced to liquidate if sufficient employees did not return to work to restore normal operations by 5 p.m., EST p.m., Nov. 15. The Company determined on the night of Nov. 15 that an insufficient number of employees had returned to work to enable the restoration of normal operations.
The BCTGM in September rejected a last, best and final offer from Hostess Brands designed to lower costs so that the Company could attract new financing and emerge from Chapter 11. Hostess Brands then received Court authority on Oct. 3 to unilaterally impose changes to the BCTGM’s collective bargaining agreements.
Hostess Brands is unprofitable under its current cost structure, much of which is determined by union wages and pension costs. The offer to the BCTGM included wage, benefit and work rule concessions but also gave Hostess Brands’ 12 unions a 25 percent ownership stake in the company, representation on its Board of Directors and $100 million in reorganized Hostess Brands’ debt.
“We deeply regret the necessity of today’s decision, but we do not have the financial resources to weather an extended nationwide strike,” said Gregory F. Rayburn, chief executive officer. “Hostess Brands will move promptly to lay off most of its 18,500-member workforce and focus on selling its assets to the highest bidders.”
In addition to dozens of baking and distribution facilities around the country, Hostess Brands will sell its popular brands, including Hostess®, Drakes® and Dolly Madison®, which make iconic cake products such as Twinkies®, CupCakes, Ding Dongs®, Ho Ho’s®, Sno Balls® and Donettes®. Bread brands to be sold include Wonder®, Nature’s Pride ®, Merita®, Home Pride®, Butternut®, and Beefsteak®, among others.
The wind down means the closure of 33 bakeries, 565 distribution centers, approximately 5,500 delivery routes and 570 bakery outlet stores throughout the United States.
The Company said its debtor-in-possession lenders have agreed to allow the Company to continue to have access to the $75 million financing facility put in place at the start of the bankruptcy cases to fund the sale and wind down process, subject to U.S. Bankruptcy Court approval.
The Company’s motion asks the Court for authority to continue to pay employees whose services are required during the wind-down period.
For employees whose jobs will be eliminated, additional information can be found at hostessbrands.info . The website also contains information for customers and vendors. Most employees who lose their jobs should be eligible for government-provided unemployment benefits.

I bet there is a drop in corn prices due to the decrease in corn syrup usage.

I'm hoarding a box of "Original" Twinkies in the freezer. I believe this is all an evil plan by that B**** Little Debbie to take over the world... or just what it looks like and a case of cutting off ones nose in spite of one's face.

Tim

WOW...I didn't know Dolly madison was part of Hosetess.....I should have taken a little more time and enjoyed what may have been my last package of Zingers! It's a sorry state of affairs when a man can't get his little peice of heaven in the morning with his coffee.

With all foolishness aside. I feel for yet another 18,500 unemployed and how to tell the family! I've never lived in a world without Hostess.

Last edited:
They closed a local bakery that produced the majority of bulk bread in Alaska. The Anchorage School District lunch program is going to take a huge hit as will high end resturants that had that bakery produce their custom dinner breads/buns every day. The funny thing is that none of the local Anchorage workers are part of the union that was on strike. The Teamsters saw the proposed benefit and pay cuts as a bad deal, but having a job is better than no job in todays market. Locally the bakery also sold wholesale to the public from their front office. Something like 3 loaves for the price of one. Many low income families used that outlet rather than going to a food bank.

One of the national issues that might be effecting the national bakery system like Hostess, is the fact that they can only use the higher cost US produced surgar. US surgar is protected by heavy tarrifs on imported sugar. When other baked goods producers that used a lot of sugar went through bankrupcy they moved out of the US so that they could get access to lower cost non-US sugar. I think that is also why they use HFCS since it is cheaper than US sugar and still performs as sugar in the baking process. I am not sure about this though. I don't think the syrup would work well for the baking part. It should be fine in all the frosting and fillings though.

My guess is that when Hostess comes out of bankrupcy the new owner will move large scale production north or south the borders to get access to cheaper raw materials from South America or the Caribbean.

The good news for me is that I eat Paleo so not having sweets or wheat based baked goods has no direct bearing on my life.

One would think that the writing was on the wall when the company entered into Chapter 11. Hard to believe that concessions could not be negotiated in those circumstances. Strange world we live in.

Unions are not always a good thing.Now those workers have no job thanks to their union.

Please dont talk out of your ass if you dont know the truth...I worked at Hostess/Wonder Bread for 25 years.
Easy to blame the union not the execs who ran a great company into the ground with debt and interest on hedge fund loans.While the company loses millions the execs gave themselves raise of up to 300%.Greed got Hostess in trouble nothing more nothing less.

Last edited:
Has anyone considered what this could do to the park ducks? I would hate to see them suffer through a shortage of Wonder Bread while a buyer is found? It might be a long, hard winter in the all the parks of North America.

Twinkies, not too tasty to fail. Looks like you have to get your sweet chemical fix from something else.

they taste like crap since they took the animal fat out of the cream filling.YUK !!!!!

Back