TDB 17' - Is it all that?

Jason Gillette

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on purchasing a used 17' TDB Sea Class and want to get a little feedback on them before I drop all my savings. I hunt the open water of Green Bay and Lake Winnebago in WI. I will be primarily using this late in the season when the divers are rafted up. I have two boy's that are just old enough to come with (10 and 12) The reason I'm buying this boat is to keep things comfortable enough that they can come.

So here are my questions

1. If the wind kicks up what are these things like in 4-5' waves? Is it really "sea class"?
2. Are birds willing to decoy to the boat? It's got to stick out...
3. Is there a big difference between the sea class and the classic?
5. Would you buy one knowing my needs?

1. watch your speed, too fast you WILL stuff your bow, sea class slightly better
2. new birds only, too many guys doing what you want to do....
3. yes.
4. no and yes, but then it is your money

4-5 footers with a 10 and 12 year old along sounds like child endangerment to me. I wouldn't be out there in a 30' boat in that kind of weather.....either will the ducks. Those are nice boats though.

I'd never do it on purpose and I watch the weather like a hawk BUT things can change fast on the lower bay in November and that's why I want more boat than I'll need.
Also - I asked what it would be like in those conditions I did not say i would want to be out there in it. Got to be safe and safe is about prevention (watching weather not taking chances) and preparation for the worse because it just happens sometimes and never when you expect it (or it would not happen).

Last edited:
Jason,

One of my hunting partners owns both the 14' and the 17' TDB models, both Maine-built boats. I have hunted from both. We have used the 17 to hunt sea ducks at the Isle of Shoals, a collection of ledges 6 miles off the coast of New Hampshire. We also hunt out there using a tender-layout rig. The boat is very comfortable and I have always felt safe on it. In anything over 2-3' seas the operator will need to concentrate on driving the boat. It is not a rig that cuts the waves well. With common sense and patience the boat will get you there and back again.

Sea ducks aren't the smartest birds, but the days of using open boats and bleach bottles is over. The TDB gives us shots in range. You'll still need to pay attention to heads popping up to look around, but it gives good cover and birds should give you a pass. We've

I can't speak to the Sea Class boats.

I will say that with two boys, I would want to add a partner for handling lines and dekes. We run long-line rigs, and the most dangerous thing is a line around the prop. At those ages, the 17 should handle 4 comfortably.

Good luck.

Bill

I will say that with two boys, I would want to add a partner for handling lines and dekes. We run long-line rigs, and the most dangerous thing is a line around the prop. At those ages, the 17 should handle 4 comfortably.

That's my plan! I Figure I'll have all sorts of new friends wanting to come with.... Thanks for the reply.

Back