The Latest South Bay Duckboat "Spa Treatment"

Steve Sanford

Good morning, All~

I'm WAY behind in just about everything - so no time for a detailed presentation of the latest duckboat to roll out of my shop.

This is yet another South Bay from Long Island. The hull was in excellent condition but needed many of the usual items that time had taken its toll on: motor board, thatch rails, floor boards, flap boards, motor cover, spray shield, hatch re-build - and a new shovin' oar. The trailer needed some attention as well.

[as ever, click on any photo to enlarge]

View attachment sm Portrait 01 - stbd side.JPG

Here she is with the flaps up. I actually stowed the flapboards inside for the voyage down south. The hinges have "loose" (removable) brass pins to make this easy.

Each board has 2 thatch rails (not a single rail as in the original) - so the grass will stay where its put.

View attachment sm Portrait 15 - stern quarter - trailer mode.JPG

The flaps - wider/taller than the originals - lay parallel to the water when down - so decoys can be laid there when setting or picking up the rig.

I re-sewed (shortened) the belly strap so the buckle lays flat on the stern deck.

View attachment sm Portrait 13 - from Astern - flaps down.JPG

The new spray shield is much wider and taller than the original. Because it's wider, I added a chock-and-bail for stowing the pushpole or shovin' oar.

View attachment sm Portrait 11 - Spray Shield and push pole bail.JPG

The thatch rails have 3/16" spacers - for Salt Hay - and the ends are faired to avoid snagging on lines or clothing. The mount is for the removable bow light. The rubber plug keeps water/ice out - as do the scuppers.

View attachment sm Detail 11 - Nav Light Mount and thatch rail ends.JPG

The painter was shortened so it cannot reach the prop. The foredeck cleat was added - backed up with 1/2-inch plywood and s/s fender washers below.

View attachment sm Portrait 08 - Painter trimmed and flemished.JPG

The new floorboards have curbs to keep gear from moving aft when under way. I used my usual system of 4 wooden turn-buttons to hold them in place - but allow ready removal for cleaning. The floorboard surface beneath the cockpit opening got anti-skid in the paint.

View attachment sm Floorboards - curb and turnbutton.JPG

The trailer tongue got most of the attention. All appurtenances were either replaced or rebuilt; the spare is new. The wheel bearings were repacked and one taillight replaced.

View attachment sm Portrait 10 - Trailer Tongue and features.JPG

She made the trip intact.

View attachment sm Portrait 19A - flaps down and pole in use.JPG

I fitted the half-sewn motor cover on site - then mailed the completed job in a couple of days. It's sitting here in my shop on a 4.5 Merc - so does not show off the tailored fit for the 15 Yamaha it's made for. Small bundles of Salt Hay will get lashed within each loop to break up the mass of the covered OB.

View attachment sm Weimann OB Cover 2.JPG

All the best,

SJS

Beautiful work! One question, though. Since the push oar is too long to stow below deck, why not paint it to hide it better when the hunter grasses the boat in?

Good morning, Ric~

Funny you should ask. When I took orders for my first batch of shovin' oars last Fall, one gunner wanted his painted. But, when he saw the beautiful grain of the oiled White Ash, he changed his mind. These oars will develop a nice dark patina with use - and an annual coat of linseed oil - but the decision will be up to the owner.

With this boat, I also rehabbed an aluminum push pole. Each piece got duckboat paint.

View attachment Push Pole small.JPG

All the best,

SJS

Good morning, Rich~

Nope. When I plan each rehab with the owners, we go over the boats inch by inch. No one has requested shelves yet. I think most want the option to gun 2 people sideways in the cockpit.

BTW: No one has asked for oarlocks either. I wouldn't leave the launch without oars ad oarlocks in a duckboat....

All the best,

SJS

Steve

The wider taller spray shield is very aesthetically pleasing, as are the rest of the enhancements. I've been contemplating making a spray shield for my Broadbill so your post gives me more food for thought. Thanks.

Eric

Steve, amazing work. I saw one of your original rehabs on your site. Simply put: That's how it should be done. You leave absolutely no detail out.

If you could, I'd love to see some shots of the inside of the hull. Recently, they were on my short list of options for a new sneak box. I saw one or two for sale online but never got a chance to see one in person. I can't rule out that I won't be looking for one in the future.

Great Job Steve as always. will be interested in a new motor board next year, l like your design ,also a shelf on one side idea is food for thought, love the pics!!

WOW, looks great, and I love the way they look grassed up. After seeing this and other posts, I'm going to use salt grass on my Estuary next year. You are a true craftsman, and artist! Thank you for sharing.

Back