The new kid

Robert Schaffer

Thought you guys may want to know alittle about the new guy posting on your site. Im a 23 year old kid from Thackerville Oklahoma with a serious obsesion with duck hunting. My dad introduced me to deer hunting at a young age and i really enjoyed it growing up, but i didnt have a real passion for the outdoors until i started duck hunting. Since my dad does not duck hunt i was never around it growing up and had no idea what the big deal was shooting a bird, but when i was about 17 my good friend Billy Smith invited me on a duck hunt and i accepted.. It was December 20 and it was snowing, he give me a pair of waders that were 3 sizes to big and after wading thru 200yards of weeds and logs we set up and only seen one duck (that we did not kill) by this time i was freezing and so tired i could barely stand and when we finally got back to the truck he had locked the keys inside the cab. I was very upset to say the least lol. well talked me into going again with him a few weeks later and this hunt was much better. As we sit on the edge of a pond waiting for legal shoting hours i heard my first ever whistling wings! I can remember it like it was yesterday, from that moment on i was hooked. The next few years Billy and I chased ducks all over southern Oklahoma. Then on August 10, 2007 me Billy and another one of our friends chase were putting out trot lines in the Red River trying to catch some catfish when we all decided to swim to the Texas side of the river and jump of a ledge. When me and chase got to the other side Billy was starting to struggle in the river current so we jumped back in to get him but he was already in full blown panic mode. We both struggled as we tried to fight him towards the bank but it was no use he fought and almost drown both of us in the process. Unfortunaly Billy drown that day and although he is not with me anymore on hunts he will never be forgot and every hunt I go on now is dedicated to Billy because without him i would have never came to known this great thing we call waterfowl hunting. I know im still young and have alot to learn about this great sport but everyday i hope to learn something new. Heres a few pics of me and some friends on a few good hunts, and for now on ill try to keep the tailgate pics to a minimum lol..

View attachment 1031001705a.jpg
View attachment m_24e2f6256b4f42318f6bca80fac964de.jpg
View attachment 1123091417.jpg
View attachment PIC_0022.JPG
View attachment PIC_0023.JPG

Welcome aboard, tis a great site ya found! Sorry to hear about loosing your buddy, water can be deadly, much more so when its colder as when late season fowling ia happning- wear a life jacket. Lots of great& helpful people here. Some fantastic pics. posted too. Enjoy your self here & good luck hunting !
Dennis

Back