The rest of my profit sharing is going to Blake :-)

Hitch

I've got a pile of skins in your freezer Mr. Wilson, send me your mailing address please...
These are all cork gunners, and will get used.
Frank Gant is one of a handfull of carvers in Florida.

091909-001.jpg

091909-002.jpg

091909-003.jpg

091909-004.jpg

091909-006.jpg

091909-007.jpg

091909-008.jpg

091909-009.jpg

2 pair of the Ring neck...
091909-011.jpg

Frank is a quiet fellow. We ran into each other at our MINWR duck hunting workshop...it was the right time for he and I both to deal.
He has a pair of Magnum Pintail he's finishing up for, and I will post photos when he sends them.

Hitch

Last edited:
Yep,

Most of these were done a few years ago. Frank's newest here is the Can. I think it shows what to expect. And Frank had a table of decorative decoys as well, but I was too busy at the workshop to get photos. I couldn't pass up on this chance to collect these though, so I jumped. I'm not sure Frank is really all that excited about selling his decoys. Ron Smith knows him pretty well; maybe he can add more about Frank.

Hitch

Nice decoys, but also a nice few books in the background. I'd like copies of a few of those for my library.

I suppose a guy has to have special clearance to see that office of yours! Nice decoys!

Take care,

Ed L.

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]
I suppose a guy has to have special clearance to see that office of yours! Nice decoys!

Take care,

Ed L.

Ed,
You may not need special clearance to get into his office, but expect a search before leaving.
[/font]

Hey Hitch,

Is one of those books in the background Pioneer Decoy Carvers (biography of Lem and Steve Ward)? My wife's late grandfather left me a copy signed by Lem and the authors. I've never been sure how popular the book was, but it's a great read.

I have been waiting for the pictures Hitch. You are an artist with that Canon.

Frank ...as you can see ...is an accomplished carver. It was his uncle in NJ that would drag him out to chop wood for decoys and got him started. I think the pictures say more about his work than I could. He is very modest about his work. He knows he is good you just wont hear that from him. He has 2 full body ringnecks that are displayed diving down through grass that won BOS in a LA show a few years back. He has won numerous awards. I went by his shop a few times while he was carving the divers and he would sit for hours with a frozen bird in his lap (changing for another bird when they began to thaw). His attention to detail is evident in his work. I called him a few months ago and he said he wanted to sell some decoys, which is rare. He hardly ever sells his work...it is his hobby. I offered to sell them for him and he was ready but he is not computer savy and he never sent me the pictures to list them. When I saw him at MINWR I put he and Hitch together and I think they both ended up being happy.

I carved with him on several occasions when he lived down here. He is very good instructor. If you ever get to hunt with him... don't let him drive. He pays more attention to the side than where he is going, watching for road kill, for refrence material.

Back