Thoughts on 1860 mod v's

Jay H

Tossing around the idea of buying a new or used 1860, my main reason being after taking a couple trips out on the duck boat this year , there seems to be more debris around than i thought would be around, now having two young sons, my thought process has gone from kill ducks and get there anyway possible to have a good time and get home safely. An aluminum boat is more and more appealing to me, does anybody have any thoughts on good companys? Pros cons ? I will be hunting shallow and deeper water with rough water crossings

Jay-

We have the same problem here on LI. If your budget allows it's best to get a good tender and tow your smaller duck boats across.

It's funny how kids change your outlook on things. Nowadays I'm happy if we can get out, have a good time (hopefully getting some birds), and get home without any mishaps. My boys were the main reason I got the Lund last fall. They grow up fast!

Not familiar with the mod-V's, sorry. Good luck with your search.

Jay, I hunt from an Alumacraft Waterfowler 1650. I typically hunt with my son, another adult and either 1 or 2 dogs. I think the 1860 would be a great "middle" ground as far as the areas we hunt and toting the boys and gear around safely. You will still have to pick your days.

SeaArk makes a nice 1860 model. It comes with 24" sides. A good friend hunts a couple weeks a year out of Barnegat and uses a SeaArk 2072. Those come with the 28" sides. The extra side height is nice for snotty days. SeaArk also makes an 1872 that comes with the 28" sides. Nice boats. Heavy, ride pretty well, and should get you there and back if you don't ask them to do more than you should.

I also looked at the Lund's over this past year. I tossed around the idea of the 18' and 20' Alaskans. In the end, I have decided to stick with what I have and pick my days accordingly.

I run a couple or three SeaArks...a standard ModV 2072, a 2072Baymaster 15degreeV, and a 1654 MV. I think the perfect in-betweener is the 1860. A coworker runs a short 1672 and complains the sides are too high for that boat and it gets blown around too much. The extra width of the 72 is nice and when the water gets big...4 more inches of side is nice too. My neighbor has a Lund Alaskan 20 and it is very nice. It is a riveted hull but they take the pounding. The back end flattens out nicely so it floats in fairly shallow water too. I'd go for an 18' any day. My old 2072 is 16 years old now and getting its second motor next month. I had to get nearly all the top welds for the inner sides rewelded but this is a work boat...I tow trees and logs out of the main boating channels with it and run it up on the bank all the time. I drop trees into it for fish attractors and do everything with it you would freak about doing with your own boat. I CAN turn a 20' boat around in a 10' wide creek much to my coworkers concerns....the boat can take the abuse.

I own a Starcraft Sportsman 18, mod-vee jon. I've used it mostly for fishing--back in Washington saltwater and now here in Arkansas.

While the paint says Starcraft, originally it was made as a Smokercraft (different brand by the dealer's request but made in the Smoker factory) and it's hull ID shows it as a Sylvan. It's a tiller boat intended to be an entry-level sled for fishing in rivers.

I really, really like the size and versatility of the hull. I've only had one seaworthiness issue, and that was when I crossed the wake from a ferry in a rip and punched into the side of a wave, taking some green water over the bow. The ride isn't bad, and the stability is great.

I will not buy another new S/S/S boat again, however, The quality of the build is not good, and the rigging of the electrical and quality of the finish is poor. Having said that, the hull is good, but the rest of it isn't.

I know its not an 1860 but I am selling a 16 foot tracker grizzly with a 25 and full blind. I've had the boat in VERY skinny water as well as the raritan and baregat bay. I hunt 2-3 guys and my dog and we have always been safe. I had an 18 and it was a little too big for backwater so I went with the 16 mod v. I like it and you're more than welcome to take it out and see for yourself

Back