Too many duck boats????

David Allen

My wife says I have too many duck boats. Is that possible? Personally I think that is the equivalent of too much fun, too much love, too much money. However, I'll ask.

How many duck boats is too many?

I presently have 4. One Merrymeeting Scull, one Whitham Scull, one Barnegat Bay boat, and one layout boat. The Whitham will either be loaned to friend or sold so I am not sure I can count that one.

How many do you have?

I don't think that even comes close to too many.

The fleet in the backyard has grown to:
2 canoes
1 kayak
2 modified sunfish
1 16' Jon boat (soon to be for sale and replaced)
1 single man layout boat

Just need to build a couple of Sanford pond boxes, a scull boat, and pick up a BBSB. Then maybe I will have enough duck boats.

Chad

I do own 3 canoes, 1 kayak and 1 14 foot aluminum motor boat, but I generally use those for other thing more than ducking.

Every type of hunting I do calls for a different rig ,I have 12 ft Jon w mud motor,devlin broadbill ,14 ft tdb,Bbsb ,a canoe and a kayak.Just ordered plans for snowgoose from devlin and the wife told me I should get a 17 ft tdb sea class and has been searching the web looking for one for sale.Its just what I do ,its in the blood.

I have a 12' Roy high boat with a 30 on it, a 16' glass Garvey style hull with a 20, a 12' Jon I am building a mud motor for, a 10' Jon I use early season alone or to drag gear around swamps, 2 kayaks, and one canoe. Would love to get a big boat for sea ducks in the near future, can never have too many boats.

Almost forgot,my x wife said I should get rid of my dog and quit hunting.I told her he was here before you and he will b here after you.and I'm gona quit hunting when they pry my dead frozen hands off my shotgun.

My "in-service" fleet of gunning boats is:

4 canoes (2 tin, 2 'glass - 1 decked over with thatch rails)
2 coffins
1 Barnegat Bay Sneakbox
1 Great South Bay Scooter (only needs new canvas to be fully rehabbed...)

I also "cheat" by helping build gunning craft for friends - then enjoy their use....

Also, if I still lived on the coast, I would probably have some kind of garvey.

BTW: Inspired by someone's thread (a NJ member) last fall, I am planning to stage a portrait of the whole fleet sometime this summer.

SJS

At the present time, just 2, as I lost my sneakbox to wood rot...... No such thing as To Many, just not enough. I spoke with a friend of mine recently, he told me he had 12 boats in the back yard. All see action when called upon, he's in his 70's, and has been married a long time to a very understanding Lady.

There is no such thing as too many duck boats! I have three: Momarsh Fatboy/Honda, Phowler 2066/ProDrive X36, Boston Whaler Outrage/Mercury (only a part-timer duck hunting rig). These three get me from the skinniest little back waters (for puddle ducks) to the open bay/ocean (for Sea Ducks) and everything in between. However, I still want a Duckwater Ocean 25 and a 2 man Whistler layout!

Last edited:
The count on deck is presently 7;
One 12' aluminum double ender, similar to the Alumacraft Ducker
One 17' Grumman aluminum canoe
One 12' SportsPal aluminum Y back canoe
One FourRiver Refuge Runner 13' glass
One Three Oceans Marine two man scull 16+' glass
One Don Warren BBSB 12' glass
One 1952 J Howard Perrine BBSB 12' glass over cedar

My wife doesn't think they are necessary but it is nice having one for each day of the week. The 17' canoe is used on Sundays for family time.
Still looking though, ;)
Would like to find an affordable TDB 14' or equivalent.

Best - Paul

Ha, I thought I was the only one with this problem! Momarsh fatboy dp,two kayaks,one canoe,sold a 16 ft jon, soon to get a Lund Alaskan,dreaming about a BBSB,and have a 21 ft Parker in the drive way also. I'm sick

I bet my wife is glad I don't live back on the Oregon Coast.

Right now:

1. Humboldt scull
2. MerryMeeting Bay scull (Brant II)
3. 16ft open bow tri-hull (family, lake, ski boat)

If I was back at the coast, I'd have to add a Arima offshore boat, as well as a drift boat for the rivers. For me those Arima (the older ones) are the BBSB's of West Coast near-shore fishing (small, dependable and very seaworthy). I'm dying to add a BBSB, been trying for years to line that up. Either broke, or other things came up. Not to mention they are pretty hard to come by on the West Coast. I can double duty the Brant pretty well it's just fuggly lookin' to me. In the end, however, the Brant II get's the most hunting use. I just like sleeker lines on boat's. When the stars line up I'm trading, selling, whatever, the puny lake boat for a 1959 Dorsett Catalina/Farallon cruiser. Those Dorsett's would be the ultimate tender for me. Almost pulled the Dorsett deal off this past fall. It's all about location. If you live by the ocean, and our steelhead rivers it throws a wench into the works.

Wish list:
1. Dorsett cabin cruiser (1959-1961)
2. BBSB- Seth

Last edited:
I had 7 at one point now I'm down to 5 and if all goes through with a new bankes we'll be back in the game. Now if I could only find more storage space for my summer toys jeeps trucks cars. It never ends

David - To answer her question in her terms, kinda like your wife having too many pairs of shoes or purses...

Down to 4...

1. 1648 Alumacraft Modified-V
2. Four Rivers 13 footer
3. Fiberdome Widgeon
4. MLB SuperMag

what? too many? humbug.
1)16 foot alum canoe
1)12 foot alum skiff
1)18 foot lund
1)17 foot bankes freedom on order!!

whats next!!

bruce
<<>>

Well... for the ducks I have;
18' Bailey Bridge Boat
16' Devlin Scaup
20' Old Town Tripper Canoe
11' Zach Taylor Widgeon
and lastly a Maxi Poke Boat.
It certainly is a fun hobby.

Never enough-if you do lots of different types of hunting you can justify a canoe, poleboat, sneakboat, layout boat, coffin blind, bigger 2 or 3 man boat for big water hunting, and on and on. Even better if you build them all yourself! As much as I love boats and hunting out of them you still have to add just a pair of hip boots and an old jacket to the list for jump shooting little creeks, sometimes it's best to get back to the very basics!

Back