Took a Walkabout---

Al Hansen

All shots taken around the yard either in the early morning or later on in the afternoon.
Al

IMG_7490.jpg

IMG_7507.jpg

IMG_7539.jpg

IMG_7604.jpg

IMG_7648.jpg

IMG_7664.jpg

IMG_7670.jpg

IMG_7674.jpg

IMG_7805.jpg

IMG_7812.jpg

IMG_7816.jpg

IMG_7751.jpg

Thanks for the pics. Al. I love the second pic, looks like he's wearing a hat like the flappers of 20's era. Keepem coming!
Dennis

Al
Those are beautiful pictures the clarity is out of this world thanks for posting them.
Take care and God Bless
Eddie and Amber
Its allabout Building that Bond.

Al,
Great pics as usual. Thanks for sharing. Could you tell us what the birds are except the quail, got that one, I think. Gambels?

Al,

I love the fact that you post all these pictures. Thanks for sharing them. I love the intensity of that American Goldfinch (guessing here but I am probably wrong) in the 3rd picture.

thanks.

Last edited:
Any idea the species of Cholla Plant the Pyrrhuloxia is perched on. It looks to be a Tree Cholla, but maybe a a bit thin

Thank you, Dennis. Glad you like them. My father had a hat like the one you talked about with the flappers. He was born in 1905.
Al

Eddie,.
The good news is that the lens is fast enough so that I can still hand hold the camera. I would imagine that one of these days, I'll have to start using a tripod.
Al

Kevin,
Thanks for the reminder. Sorry that I forgot.
pictures #1 and #2 would be Gambel's quail
picture #3 is a female black-chinned hummingbird
pictures #6, #7. and #8 Wilson's warbler
picture #9 female Gambel's quail
pictures #10 and #11 are of the male pyrrhuloxia
picture #12 is the male lesser goldfinch
Al

Thanks so much, Eric. That little yellow bird is a Wilson's warbler. I was thrilled when he came by for a drink because this is the first time I have been able to capture one in good light.
Al

Steve,
My wife has a painting lesson with a gal from town who is a botanist. She already has the question to ask her! I looked it up and believe the one we have here is known as "optunia leptocaulis" which might be a form of the tree cholla. The reason for the thin look is that we don't get much rain here. 7 inches of precip per year is not much. Most of the time recently we have had less, however, so far this year we are doing very well.
Al

Kevin---the pyrrhuloxia is related to the cardinal. In fact, their song is indistinguishable from it.
Al

This is a male Bullock's oriole. We have been attracting them with "grape jelly". They love it and right now we are feeding a 2 pound jar of jelly every other day. That original pair from 4 years ago, has grown into around 8 pairs or more. We also found out that pyrrhuloxia and the house finch also like grape jelly.

IMG_7888.jpg

IMG_8015.jpg

Great stuff AL - grape jelly reminds me of peanut butter and jelly which reminds me of how much my various labs liked peanut butter. I liked to put a big dab on a cracker and the pups would instantly get that stuck to the roof of their mouths. The ensuing sounds would drive the boss out of the room and I would laugh until I cried.
sarge

Good story about the peanut butter, Sarge. Just about ten minutes ago, I took these two shots. One is out of focus on purpose so you see what we get to look at in the evening when the sun is setting.
Bev and I enjoy being outside as much as possible.
Al

IMG_8307.jpg

IMG_8304.jpg

Back