Tow vehicles: 4wd and "electronic locking axle"

Ed Askew

I know someone here will know the answer to this question although it isn't very duck related except it is for me. I'm considering buying a fifth wheel and looking at tow vehicles, looks like the best solution is the F250. What I don't understand is that if you have 4WD, what does the "electronic locking axle" do for you? Do I need that? The guy down the road has the truck I want but not the electronic locking axle.

Ed.

buy a chev silverado 1500 or bigger ,it has the auto lock rear diff.. and i gotta tell ya it has saved me a number of times.
what happens is when you lose traction on your drive wheel it locks up the other side to make it a possy traction until traction is regained.and it unlocks,my 2008 silverado you could feel the clunk inand out but the new 2010`s you cant feel it.. i tow a 6600 lbs travel trailer no problem with the 4.8 v8.. ..

its realy good when ya lose traction on the boat ramp in the winter ,i had it happen with the jimmy and no locking diff and it was NOT GOOD ,,,..

shermie...

oh with the new chevs it comes free 500 dollar value i believe

Ed, Is that the "rear differential lock"? Or is it the four wheel drive is electronic lock? The push button 4x4 has its moments,but I personally like the old style of physically engaging the 4x4,I have never had any problems yet with mine as a push button, If it is electronic it does have a chance to go out,but if you were pulling your 5th wheel in a muddy or snowy condtion the locking differential and push button 4x4 are nice to have,hope this helps Brian

The electronic lock is nice to have, but one more thing to break. It allows you to shift into 4wd without getting out and turning the hubs. Driving with the hubs locked will reduce your gas mileage even when not in 4wd because it increases drag. We tow a gooseneck horse trailer with a Ford F350 V10 with the electronic hubs. We were caught in Washington DC area in one of the storms last winter, the truck easily handled 8 plus inches of snow with the trailer attached. Just don't try to pass a gas station...

Ed:

I have an F350 and I love it - but be aware that if you're buying a diesel model years 2003 and 2004 had some issues with the 6.0 engine. The electronic locking axle will prevent one of your rear tires from spinning if you lose traction - a normal differential can sometimes transfer power to the tire with the least amount of traction whereas a locking or limited slip differential generally provides power to both rear wheels. Nice to have, especially if you tow or haul stuff. Have fun with the new truck.

Thanks guys. Yep, I'll need that locking axle. The truck has the new 6.7L V8 diesel. Supposedly all sorts of new technology in that engine, better fuel economy, etc.

I see they offer an "engine core heater". Only $75. None of the trucks any of the dealers down here have that option. I wonder if that's important for this area, and if so if I can get an aftermarket one installed later. We had the coldest winter in a generation here in Hattiesburg this year. It got down to 15 degrees at my house.

Ed.

It really depends on how you are going to use the truck.
If it going to be used off road then the locker will be very useful.
If the truck will rarely see anything worse than a gravel path at a campground then maybe not necessary.
My bigger concern would be buying a truck with the brand new Ford diesel.
This is there third new diesel motor in the last 8 yrs.
I would give them six months to work out the bugs.
That being said, I would still buy the Ford

I assume you mean a 110 plug in heater...I doubt it would be necessary most of the time down there. Up here it would be plugged in 4 months of the year when the engine wasn't running. I've installed heaters in the coolant line between the radiator and engine block on tractors before, probably cost $40-50 for the part (old price and bad memory, might be wrong). Real easy if you have room to work (old tractors, lost of room, new pick up, might not be too much room to get in there.

I prefer 2wd on tow vehicles, much better ride, and unless you are planning on getting muddy, no need to have 4wd draggin g down your mileage. However most 2wd pickups can get stuck on wet grass (without a load in the bed) so locking rear differential is a must IMO.

Chuck

My Chevy 2500 HD (Allison 6 speed transmission and Duramax diesel) has a limited slip rear differential and turn the knob on the dash 4 wheel switch. So far everything has worked fine. It'll tow my 19 foot Bankes up a icy boat ramp with the limited slip differential making all the difference. After having a Ford that I had to get out and run around the truck to lock in the hubs, I like being able to switch to 4x4 by turning a knob in the cab.

This truck will most definitely see mud, lots of mud. It'll have shift on the fly 4wd for sure.

Ed.

The cummins or duramax are better trucks . More parts are available for performance and they seem to perform better. Go watch a truck pull and see it for yourself. You want a locker if available, nothing like being stuck on wet grass. John

Back