Trailer jack with wheel that actually swivels

MIKE-SID

I'm looking for a wheel, or a trailer jack who's wheel actually swivels easily. I'm tired of pushing or pulling my boat into or out of my garage and fighting the trailer jack wheel. The dam thing just skids across my driveway half the time.
Anyone have a solution?
Thanks, Mike
My boat is a 14' Duck Invader. Not a heavy rig, but heavy enough when fighting a slight incline.
20221118_131038.jpg

Last edited:
This might sound a little too simple, but I have found that routinely greasing the thrust bearing (or what passes for one) at the bottom of the telescopic leg keeps it swivelling pretty well.

Gordon Bartlett said:
This might sound a little too simple, but I have found that routinely greasing the thrust bearing (or what passes for one) at the bottom of the telescopic leg keeps it swivelling pretty well.

I will check that tonight.
I was thinking of modifying it so I can put a real bearing there.

Gordon Bartlett said:

How do you get grease to it? Mine have a way to grease the worm gear (pop off the plastic cap), but I don't know how to grease the bearing.

Last edited:
Mike

A pet peave of mine!

The only way I have luck getting the wheel to swivel is to lower the tongue height. The higher you crank the jack the more they resist swiveling. If someone knows of one that actually swivels when higher than the ball please post the brand because every swivel jack stand I've owned sucks.

Eric

I haven't tried one myself and probably should especially for my 2072 sea ark. They make trailer jacks with duel wheels which are actually for heavy loads but i'd bet that would make it easier to pivot as well as roll as long as its on a hard surface, blacktop, concrete, et.

Eric Patterson said:
Mike

A pet peave of mine!

The only way I have luck getting the wheel to swivel is to lower the tongue height. The higher you crank the jack the more they resist swiveling. If someone knows of one that actually swivels when higher than the ball please post the brand because every swivel jack stand I've owned sucks.

Eric

Agreed!
I want to stand up straight, not crawl on my belly moving my boat. I guess we are dreamers

Eric Patterson said:
How do you get grease to it? Mine have a way to grease the worm gear (pop off the plastic cap), but I don't know how to grease the bearing.

I have no secret way to grease the swivel.
On my trailers, the swivel is so crude that I hesitate to even call it a "bearing".
I think it is just a large rivet that passes through a hole in the caster's mounting plate. It is not peened down tightly, so the caster is free to rotate.
I just squeeze a bit of grease from a grease gun onto it and work it in a bit with whatever lay at hand: a small acid brush, or even a sliver of wood.
The improved ease of motion is instant and obvious.

I have used aerosol penetrating grease to get into tight places you either can't reach or see. I have a similar jack to what you described Eric with the plastic cap(amybe the same one), and mine will still swivel after several years. This product is typically a clear grease that uses a carrying agent to let it flow like spray oil and then quickly flash off leaving just the grease itself. The grease is very tacky and and is in my experience is formulated to allow for significant temperature variances. If it is already frozen, you would need a very good penetrating oil to loosen it, and then an application of penetrating grease. This has worked for me.

Mike~

I've been watching this thread with keen interest. For one of my (6) trailers - my main duckboat trailer - I have been fighting the Never Turn the Needed Way jackstand for years. In fact, I have evolved a "corrective gait" wherein I drag the trailer along whilst occasionally kicking the wheel into compliance with my right foot as needed. Of course, I no longer walk in a straight line even when not wrassling with a 3-wheeled vehicle....

Tomorrow I will explore the stand's nether reaches with a variety of lubricants at the ready.

All the best,

SJS

I use these on my smaller trailers,

https://www.northerntool.com/products/ironton-12in-swivel-pneumatic-caster-450-lb-capacity-knobby-tread-50454?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Material%20Handling%20%3E%20Casters%20%3E%20300%20-%20499%20Lbs.&utm_campaign=Ironton&utm_content=50454&ogmap=SHP%7cPLA%7cGOOG%7cSTND%7cc%7cSITEWIDE%7cOOT%7c%7c%7c%7c19587252941%7c146996145724&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvtPq7vrtgQMV5UpHAR2RVg01EAQYAyABEgJi0_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I meant to reply to this thread a week ago, and got sidetracked. The poor turning performance of my trailer jacks has aggravated me for years. I've tried various lubricants applied directly on the shaft or castor fitting, and have drenched the entire assembly with oil through the removable cap which most have at the top. Sometimes it improves, but never eliminates the binding. As others mentioned, the worst performance I've seen is in the highest or lowest position. I've come to the conclusion that at least some of the problem is the angle of the shaft relative to the ground when in any but a mid-range position. When the force (weight) is not directed straight down the shaft, as when extended or retracted, it tends to bind because there aren't any real bearings (at least in my jacks). Those crimp connections immediately above the wheel are the worst offenders.

I was thinking about this and used to have the same problem and then I moved the axle on the trailer about foot towards the stern to remove some the tounge wieght and it helpd out considerably. With less force being put on the jack when at the extents it won't bind up as much. May not help in your case but thought I would throw it out there.

I ordered a 10" pneumatic swivel wheel for my trailer jack. The only problem will be that my current wheel is part of the jack. I'll have to cut and weld it on. I'll figure it out when it is in hand.
Thank you all for the thoughtful comments and help.

I'm looking for a wheel, or a trailer jack who's wheel actually swivels easily. I'm tired of pushing or pulling my boat into or out of my garage and fighting the trailer jack wheel. The dam thing just skids across my driveway half the time.
Anyone have a solution?
Thanks, Mike
My boat is a 14' Duck Invader. Not a heavy rig, but heavy enough when fighting a slight incline.
View attachment 51829
if your still looking for a trailer jack with a wheel that will spin with ease, check out etrailer.com part # f141142 $160.00 worth every penny. hope this helps

Back