Trying to ID a Barnegat Bay Sneakbox

Hey howard that is a higbee sneakbox,great little boat,very well built. I know a couple guys that run them one has a 9.9 and the other a 15 they both move it well. You should be very happy with it.

Brian

The stern, side boards, and keelsons look jusk like a Chuck Huff by the Mighty Layout Boys, BUT since it is on the east coast it probably is a higbee.

Last edited:
It's a Higbee, no doubt about it. Quick little boats! The Chuck Huffs are basically stretched Higbees.

My guess is that it is a Higbee.

The Chuck Huff (at least the current ones) have a higher combing around the cockpit (see picture below). Also the floor is a laminated foam core construction and is very well built. The factory did have some issues with some select earlier versions but the boat I got from them in August of 2010 is very solid.

IMG_4878.jpg

It is the same boat I have with the man and dog cock pit. Im not sure of the year mine is and 84 and ware the shelf in the pic is I have small compartment. Looks just like mine though
Rick

Howard; that is a higbee bbsb,that you own I have two in my collection all fiberglass construction Note mine has oarlock sockets moulded into the decoy rails ,is your boat also equipted with them ? my boats have a snapped down tee pee tent type dogger bow sheild cover and a fiberglassed cock-pit cover that is lockable. They are very well built and good planning speed . I push them with a 15 h p evinrude 2-stroke ingine.I usually only use 6 to 8 decoys and have no problem of birds decoying in. enjoy it

The Chuck Huffs are basically stretched Higbees.
Yea but the higbee is well built!

Brian

Well Brian, I have a Huff Box and it is extremely well built. Is the higbee still made and available? I know you can still get a Huff box Yea ron your right you can still get a huff box! Just look in the classifieds theres a bunch of brand new ones for sale,because they are so well built right? Brian

The Chuck Huffs are basically stretched Higbees.
Yea but the higbee is well built!

Brian

Well Brian, I have a Huff Box and it is extremely well built. Is the higbee still made and available? I know you can still get a Huff box Yea ron your right you can still get a huff box! Just look in the classifieds theres a bunch of brand new ones for sale,because they are so well built right? Brian

So Brian, You gauge the quality of boat by how many are in the classifieds? Many folks lose jobs and liquidate, change their mind or move to an area where this type of boat isn't needed. I think the TDB is in the classifieds quite a bit. Probably because it doesn't fit a person's hunting type. I owned one of them and sold it. Didn't fit my type of hunting.
Have you owned a Huff Box?

Well ron im glad you asked,yes i did have one and i can tell you that it was the most poorly built boat i have ever seen and the hull flexed so much it would scare you to death,but not only that but just about all the details of the boat were poorly made.This is not only my opinion but that of 4 veteran waterfowlers that said they would never own that boat,now given this could have been just my boat maybe a defect im not sure.But just to clear somthing up before it gets talked about im in no way bashing Mark Rongers mark is a very nice guy and did everything in his power to satisfy me,but on the otherhand i will say that the man who built the boats for mark and the present owner of the company is a piss poor buisness man not only was the boat not built well but after i set up with mark to get my money back on my 3 month old boat,i met with the new owner to do the switch and he tells me theres nothing wrong with the boat,(because he can apparently tell from looking at it on a trailer)and that my boat that had been kept in a garage for the three months i owned it and been in the water 3 times was atleast 4 years old and he shoulndt give me the money back.So i hope i have ansewred your question,im glad you like your boat i didnt and thats my opinion.

Brian

Back