Tuckerton - Sneakbox entry question/concern

Dave Diefenderfer

Sponsor
I received my package yesterday for entries to the Tuckerton show. Reading through the different sneakbox catagories, mine does not fit any of them well. Closest is the Antique Restoration, but that is really for restorations to original, with original materials and methods... I certainly basterdized mine with SS screws, composite decking, epoxy/fiberglass, and LED lighting! I am not looking for a a ribbon, just want to bring it to have the excuse to hang out for the weekend, and talk boats, ducks, and decoys. In my opinion, they need another catagory, "Refurbished", anything goes, just what have you done to make it yours.... Does anyone think I will get turned away? Hate to drag it up there and plan the weekend, only to have to park it somewhere else....

Last edited:
"Reburbished"

Dang Dave you're not only making up your own category, but your own words too.

I haven't been to Tuckerton yet, but I'm bringing wife down this year for the first time. Can't wait to see all of the boat variations, decoys and other goodies. Sorry I can't help ya with your boat, but don't feel bad - mine probably wouldn't fit any category either.

Dave,
I think that is the category that Bill Simonsen enters his refurbs in every year. He does a refurb every year for the show and uses stainless screws and fiberglass ect. Give him a call and ask him what category he enters in. I would think that should be the same category that you enter.

Dave, I had a friend that did much the same project as you, but on a different hull. He made modern upgrades and entered it into the classic refub category. If I remember right he got a second place that year.

OK, great, I'll enter... again, not looking to compete against the real restorations... or the new builds, just to bring it for folks to see, and to get to talk aboout it some more!

Debating if I need to put a new coat of paint on it? Working on leathering my new oars last night. Need some more leather for the buttons, or need to learn how to tie a Turk's Head properly! Plan to leather the spars too.

OK, great, I'll enter... again, not looking to compete against the real restorations... or the new builds, just to bring it for folks to see, and to get to talk aboout it some more!

Debating if I need to put a new coat of paint on it? Working on leathering my new oars last night. Need some more leather for the buttons, or need to learn how to tie a Turk's Head properly! Plan to leather the spars too.

Dave,
Be cautious when leathering and oar. My buddy leathered his scull oar and used copper nails (presuming copper due to the green color underneath). The problem...water got into the leather, didn't dry out well and into the wood and rotted it. He loaned the oar to me and 10 minutes into a 4 hour scull with Scott Melchi, I snapped the oar in half. I had to scull back up stream for the dead birds and when I put the muscle to the oar, it snapped right under the leather. When I inspected the oar, it was dry rotted under the leather. The really bad part...I didn't have a 2nd oar in the boat with me and had to scull the rest of the 4 hr. with half an oar.......doh. ;)
Lou

Good points Lou, I am only sewing the leathers on, no tacks, and the spars and oars are stored dry when not used. Plenty of time for the leather to dry out, though I will work them with snowseal real good initially and then maintain them with it. Got a really good piece of hide from a neighbor (hope he has more) that is thick. I did my sculling oar with it several years ago. I cut it so it is about 1/4" shy of wrapping when dry, then I soak it over night and then pull it tight with a crochet needle. Once it dries and I wax it, it looks really good, and nicely patina. I'll try to get some pictures of the scull oar and the new oars/spars....

Lou
I put the leather my oar, after painting, with contact cement. I then used a blow drier to warm the leather and treated it with snow seal you put on leather boots. I have had no problems with the leather absorbing water or falling of the oar.

Dennis

Lou
I put the leather my oar, after painting, with contact cement. I then used a blow drier to warm the leather and treated it with snow seal you put on leather boots. I have had no problems with the leather absorbing water or falling of the oar.

Dennis

Hi Dennis,
Good to hear from you.
Great idea with the painting, contact cement and snow seal. That would definitely help. Nicely done.
Lou

Back