Tuna fishing

JimO

Whenever family, work and weather allow... I head offshore fishing. In the winter my boat is in St. Augustine Florida, then Palm Beach and then Bahamas. In summer back to cape cod...

The following is a video link to a quick video from last weekend. We are on my friends boat (35 Henriques). The underwater shots were taken with a go pro mounted to a dredge.. Those are all yellowfin tuna

It is not duck hunting.. but it is something to do, til duck season arrives..

http://www.youtube.com/attribution_link?a=C_2iWQRmjp8&u=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DpxW0ZmykCTw%26feature%3Dshare%26list%3DUUWZINnJ_aypWmGyFml6rGdA

Jim O

Good stuff Jim. I haven't been tuna fishing in like 15 years, just do inshore stuff now. But nothing fights like a tuna. The last one i caught was 110 lb yellowfin on stand up gear with no harness or anything. I had to sit down and rest for about 1/2 hour after I landed the fish. I do not eat sushi in restaurants or anything. But I will eat some raw tuna once in a while if I can find something really nice at a fish store or on the dock. There is nothing like having a piece of the belly meat right after you have caught it. The flavor is hard to describe.

We used to have a good run of football and medium bluefin inshore in the fall here in Jersey, you could go out maybe 10 miles and get into them, but sot so much anymore. It's really a shame what has happened to those fish.

Greg:

Yup for sure, and it is difficult to listen to all the politics regarding Bluefin Tuna.. I do a lot of tagging and release for the Bluefin Studies that are going on. The challenge is that they are overfished, but the population migrates between multiple countries that don't all have the same concerns.. Canada does an excellent job (in my opinion) regulating the fishery in their waters.. I went to PEI and fished for three days. Caught and RELEASED 6 tuna all over 1,000 pounds. That is a trip well worth it, not to mention PEI is beautiful and the people are great!

Mike:

I am often envious of the pictures you post of hunting and fishing expeditions. You live in a terrific place for sure! Where I live on the Cape, we have some nice beaches and unique environments.. but we really have the Ocean!! We have labrador current pushing cold water from the north, meeting the gulf stream, pushing warm water from the south, meeting off our coast. This creates some of the worlds best fishing, for both cold water species and tropical pelagic species as well.

In that video, we were actually fishing for Blue Marlin and have lures designed for blue marlin fishing, not necessarily Yellowfin Tuna. But you can see the tuna are fairly aggressive!

Hope ya liked the video.

Jim O'Brien

Awesome dredge footage Jim! It really shows how many yellowfin come up behind the boat at times and how it's imperative to keep moving, jigging baits, etc. to get multiples.

Last edited:
Very cool Jim.

What kind of dredge housing are you using? I designed and make the dredgecam.com housings.

Here's a pair of bluefins in the shallows a few weeks back out of OC MD.

ScreenShot2014-07-12at90512AM_zpsa44ae3af.png

10543652_10204347198104940_8023486573689269266_n.jpg

Here's a white one ready for release!

10507020_10204209417460510_9202852922484831135_o.jpg

Hope your fishing season treats you well!!

-D

Last edited:
Dave S..

Yup, using your Dredge Cam!! Bought it locally at Falmouth Bait and tackle... It works extremely well.

Fishing for me this year has been going very well. March, my boat was in the Bahamas and we did very well on the Wahoo, blackfin tuna and mahi.

In the Northeast have several white marlin, over 200 yellowfin tuna, and a bunch of mahi in three trips to the canyons. Just getting into the time of year where I will be getting blue marlin, wahoo, long fin albacore on my canyon trips as well.. and of course Swordfish at night.

"Out East" (East of Chatham) is typically a good fishery for BFT for us.. it has been VERY slow last season and so far this year. Stick boats are doing OK and getting some giants, but the bait and troll guys are not doing very well at all.

Let me know if you ever want to test out or demo some of your products.. my boat name is JSeas. There are quite a few videos on YouTube of us fishing.

Thank you

Jim O'Brien

Back