two part foam molds

Jason R1

Anyone out there have some tips for using the 2-part foam in aluminum molds.
I'm using the 8lb and even though it comes through even the smallest of seams,
I'm not getting an even decoy. The temp has been over 70 when I've tried them.

Any tips or experience would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason

1. Make sure your mixing the correct ratio.
2. Mix with a "J" shaped piece of wire in a drill, wait until it turns caramel color then pour into mold.

Hope this helps.

Zane

by even body, do you have voids missing backs and wings?? You probably are trapping an air/gas pocket inside once you close the mold stand on end so gas can escape through the crack or drill a small vent hole on one end or the other 1/8" is the size I drilled.

I haven't tried tipping the mold up like that. I appreciate the tips. I'm using nearly 14oz of each part, which will only make 9 bodies per 16lb kit. At $60 per kit I can live with the cost of $7 per body, But when they turn out bad during the learning curve it hurts!

Jason,
Not that I want to give away company secrets but let me help out a bit....I've done a few decoys in my time, close to 15,000 +/- per year for the last 12 years: www.eallendecoys.com

Couple questions:
1. Is the foam you are using supposed to be measured/mixed in 1:1 by weight or by volume? It will make a huge difference.
2. If you need, use more clamps around the rim to eliminate/minimize the mold gap. You actually want that gap to vanish.
3. Drill some vent holes in the underside of the mold (that would be the bottom of the decoy. Drill anywhere between 4 & 6. Might want to start with the smallest drill you can get ahold of. We use a 5/64" bit.
4. Once you have filled the mold with the correct amount of foam, roll it around and around and around....all axis.
5. When done rolling, place it on it's back.
6. Temp: We make our molds so hot, it hurts to hold them.
7. Word of caution:::::::: Be careful with the generated pressure inside the mold. They can build enough pressure to literally turn the mold into shrapnel. I have a friend who also manufactures decoys and he won't even sell a metal mold to somebody for that very reason.
8. Hmmmm, learning curve. A very expensive proposition. If you want to make the decoys a bit on the less expensive side..........buy in larger quantities.
9 Mixing foam....if you can get ahold of a commercial malt mixer........that's the ticket.

I'll add more as I think of it.
Lou

I haven't tried tipping the mold up like that. I appreciate the tips. I'm using nearly 14oz of each part, which will only make 9 bodies per 16lb kit. At $60 per kit I can live with the cost of $7 per body, But when they turn out bad during the learning curve it hurts!

Last edited:
Hi Lou,

Thank you for the tips. Your decoys are fantastic! Ultra realistic and ride the water like a duck. I have them in 9 different species and have an order ready to go in when I think I can sneak it past the wife. Your FME paints are on most of my decoys which were painted using your videos.
1-The can says 1 part A to 1 part B. Both cans are 1 gallon.
2-I'll try adding some clamps
3-I had heard that a while back and was hesitant to do it. I'll do it now.
4-I'll make sure to roll them around
5-good
6-How do you heat your molds? Do you also heat your foam?
7-I'll keep that in mind
8-I would love to, but not always an option.

Thanks Again,

Jason

1-The can says 1 part A to 1 part B. Both cans are 1 gallon. ......do both cans weigh the same? If so, you'll mix 1:1 by weight. If they are different weights, the mix is 1:1 by volume, which will be a different mix than by weight. You can make a "mistake" on the side of too-much-A and you will merely get a little harder of a part. If you are "heavy" on the B side, your part may collapse.

6-How do you heat your molds? We heat the molds with a furnace we made out of a upright refrigerator. Merely added a heating element, therm/switch & vent.
Do you also heat your foam? NO, definitely not. If it were heated, you might not be able to keep up with it. Heat speeds up the reaction.
Let me know how we can be of service. Glad you enjoy our stuff, my pleasure partner, Lou

Thanks Again,

Jason

I'll check the weights of the different parts next time out.

Not sure how to accomplish the "furnace fridge". We get pretty consistent summer temps of 100+ degrees, that might just have to do. I have a habit of overdoing it so I'm trying not to put too much energy into a few dozen mallards.

Thanks again,

Jason

Yup, it's not hard to go overboard with this hobby thing. Look where it got me....boat company and a decoy company. Then, my model airplane hobby lead me to recently purchase a model airplane manufacturing company. A definite case of "hobbies gone wild".....though not quite as much fun as "college girls gone wild". ......by a long shot.
Holler with any questions, happy to help.
Lou

I'll check the weights of the different parts next time out.

Not sure how to accomplish the "furnace fridge". We get pretty consistent summer temps of 100+ degrees, that might just have to do. I have a habit of overdoing it so I'm trying not to put too much energy into a few dozen mallards.

Thanks again,

Jason

No companies, but I'm guilty in the boats department and according to some have a "problem" with decoys. However none of my hunting partners ever complains.

Funny how friends will tell us we "have a problem" but then wonder if they can go hunting, fly fishing, flying or what have you......with us.
I had a couple fellas in the shop, looking at all the boats & decoys and sucking down some coffee with me one day. After they'd been here about an hour they said "...do you, by any chance, ....adopt. We'll carry your decoys and cook". :0 Too funny. Shoot, my own kids won't do that for me.
Lou

No companies, but I'm guilty in the boats department and according to some have a "problem" with decoys. However none of my hunting partners ever complains.

You can usually weed those guys out pretty quick when you tell them to meet you at the launch at 10. Then remind them it's PM.

Jason,

I asked a similar question a couple of years ago. Although you have already gotten farther than I have in actually trying the two part foam, I'll share some good information that I was provided then to save a couple of the guys some typing time.

Hope this helps,

Scott
(ps: I have made a bunch of EPS decoys from the molds)

Two-part foam decoy info request
Posted by Scott Farris

Time Posted: March 9, 2006 at 4:40 p.m.
The mold discussion below got me scheming. I’ve been a bit slow about trying the two part foams. I’ve had decent luck with the EPS but the thought of committing to that level of effort this year when I already have 1 or 2 hundred EPS bodies with heads kicking around is turning me off. I do however have a new (to me) brant mold set, a small puddle duck mold (teal?) and a couple of new head molds like GE’s that I want to produce a couple of dozen blocks each with. The two-part foam sounds like the way to go but I have a few questions.
My molds are older design set up for EPS. Do I have to modify them to use either the 4 or 5 lb foam? I’ve heard drilling vent holes may be necessary but I would rather keep this rather substantial investment in molds in the best shape possible. Along the same line, any truth to the stories of the two-part foam damaging the aluminum molds? I’m certainly willing to carefully measure the volume of the molds and mix the correct quantity of foam to fill it. I’ve also heard that the 8#/cft foam is superior to the less dense foam for the heads. Any experience?
The working time for the foam before it starts to expand is listed at 45 sec. But I didn’t get a feeling how long it needs to be left in the mold to cure. Is this a 30 min cycle time on a mold? Hour? Longer? While boiling, the cycle time is roughly an hour but I’ve got 3 or 4 bodies going and at least as many heads going all at once, so I normally end up with around 33 - 36 bodies and heads in a day. (One decoy mold set would cycle faster but you would sit on your hands a lot as the molds boil then cool off). Never open an EPS mold before cool or the foam will continue to expand unrestrained and crack your decoy.
All Two-part foam tips, instructions and tidbits greatly appreciated.
Charlie & Titan if this is an all day or two event, come on down and use the other molds. I’ve got three diver molds, a puddle duck and a goose mold in addition to the ones I need to use.
  • Scott
Posted by Sab
Time Posted: March 9, 2006 at 4:51 p.m.
In Reply to: Two-part foam decoy info request posted by Scott Farris on March 9, 2006 at 4:40 p.m.
OK here we go.... I use the 2 part foam exclusively. I use 4# foam. I have about 45 seconds to mix it up but even after I pour it into the mold I still have about 15-25 seconds to put the c-clamps on it to hold the two halfs of the mold together before the foam rises to where I can't work with it. I use the c-clamps because it's faster and easier than using the screws that come with them. I have drilled a small(between 1/8 and 1/4 inch hole on the "back" of the duck to give the excess gas then foam a place to go. I never had a hole until the last 3 dozen I made and the back or wings always got "shiney" and kind of un finished. I use 9 ounce plastic disposable cups and put 9 oz of part a and 9 oz of part b. After I clamp it together and the excess foam comes out the hole I wait an additional 10 minutes. Total time for 1 decoy is 25-30 minutes. Any questions just e-mail me

Posted by R.A. Coleman
Time Posted: March 9, 2006 at 9:58 p.m.
Scott:
I have two body molds and four head molds. I use two part foam exclusively. Drilling the high spots of a mold with 1/32 or 1/16 bit will do nothing to the mold or decoy but it will let the traped air out. For the heads I have drilled the bill, eye, and highspot cheek in the topside of the molds. Bodies got holes in the front, middle, and 3 near the tails.
Try a head and body without holes, figure out where your mold didn't fill out, and you will see where you need them. By the way you will need to drill out the foam from the holes after every pour.
My diver rig has 5 doz of my decoys so far, and now I'm working on widgeon and old squaw.
(The part of the mold you want on the bottom has the most volume, drill the ones on the top) my body molds are laid on their backs the drilled part is the bottom of the mold / decoy.
Posted by David Anderson
Time Posted: March 8, 2006 at 1:41 p.m.
I have been using 2-part urethane, 4lb, and been very pleased with the ease and simplicity associated with the 2-part. Can do three in an hour at the kitchen table. No mess.....just need 70-80*, some release and a couple measuring cups.
For heads I tried PorOKast and am thoroughly satisfied.....great detail, excellent paint holding, similar to 16lb in strength and I was using micro filler!!!!! The bills will not break off!

Thanks Scott,

I have tried the expanding pellets, but was never very happy with the results. My favorite decoys to hunt over are poured foam and hold up very well so I figured I'd give it a shot. I'm hoping that some warmer weather @80, along with the tips from the guys will lead to some better results.

Thanks,

Jason

Scott - I remember when you were doing the EPS 6 or 7 years ago and it inspired me to buy a goose mold and make a few dozen. You mentioned that you have a few hundred EPS bodies and I wondered if there were any unfinished (unpainted, non-burlapped) bodies in that number that you might consider selling or trading. I am always looking for more full body geese and I still have a couple dozen EPS Canada heads out in the garage somewhere in a bucket.

As for the 2 part foam conversation, I have a dove decoy mold and a can head mold that produce excellent results. I did drill both to vent and I actually use the recommended wax and mold release the way it ssays to use it. Imagine that...actually following directions!

Scott,
No extra goose bodies, they actually make nice giant scoter decoys when fitted with a mallard head (bill shortened). I still have bags of diver bodies but they are waiting on my making some more can & GE heads. I bet the two part would work well for the heads.

Scott

Last edited:
Back