UV Paint?

Brandon Bolling

Is this a real concept? I just read an article advertising it and was wondering if you had any thoughts on its reality. Thoughts? any users? and if so does it work? I mean I have plenty of luck with a normal old spread, but this has sparked my interest. Thanks for your comments.

My thoughts....

There's no doubt birds can see in the Uv spectrum...think of their color wheel as one with 4 primary colors rather than 3. I've taken photos of study skins in UV and decoys in UV. The vermiculations on a GWT are clear on the bird, grey on the decoy (Liquatex paints). There are several studies showing what humans would consisder monomorphic species to be dimorphic in UV...I wouldn't be surprised to find Canada geese, and other geese to be dimorphic in UV.

That being said. Most UV occurs during the middle of the day when there's a high incidence angle for the sun.

It still comes back to

1. Location- Be where they want to be. They will see what they want to.

2. Shape. Again, narural shapes will convey what the birds want to see.

3. I believe it will make the most difference in late-morning to early afternoon, bluebird conditions, and you're not on "the spot".

It's not a "sure thing", but under certain conditions, I believe it could make a difference.

Clint

BTW, I do not have any decoys with it, I'm too cheap to spend that much on paint.

Clint,

Thanks! I may have to look up some of "dem big wurds", but I appreciate the clarification. Seems that the original concepts and ideals of waterfowling will stand through all the new concepts regardless of advertising and flash. Stick with what works!

Back