Vincenti Decoy??

Tom Barb

I found this hidden in a corner of a consignment shop and immediately thought it was a vincenti. The lines, paint scheme, bill detail, and keel weight are almost identical, but there are no markings or initials.

Can anyone verify this? Also what species is this? It looks like it has a blue/grey colored bill.

Oh and I paid $20 for it. Think I scored? Or flopped?

9F8F21C6-CC8D-41E6-954A-5ACAC861CFB7-2303-00000215A18031C2_zps134c5319.jpg

38570A5A-D635-478A-8B50-EB283A3895EB-2303-000002159AB3AC3B_zpsb10fd24a.jpg

3A796B94-9012-4356-95DD-855949B606E9-2303-0000021594C4EEF7_zpsda3789d0.jpg

871A69BC-906E-4AC1-8FB3-750F24A1732D-2303-000002158E15C605_zpsdb94f85e.jpg

I'd say it is a hen widgeon decoy. Carved in a similar style to that of Madison Mitchell, Harry Jobes, Bryon Bodt, Dave Walker, Pat Vincenti, etc, etc. Basically a Susquehanna Flats style.

Most of those guys brand or sign. It would be hard to say who carved it for sure.

Not sure if I helped you much.

And whether or not you scored all depends on how you view the purchase. Do you like and want to keep it or did you buy it to resell?

I tell my wife all the time that I buy most of the decoys as an investment, but she knows damn well that the only person who stands to make anything will be my kids when they pry them from my cold, dead hands. :)

I have no intentions on selling it! In my own opinion I scored big time. I have been wanting a Susquehanna flats style for a long time now. I was just referring to the value of it in my question. It will look great in my collection.

It's not a Vincenti. His head to neck transition wouldn't be so abrupt, and his paint would be cleaner.

Probably one of old Harry Jobes birds. From the color scheme and knowledge of the species he made, I would say Pintail. His paint is a little rough though. His son Joey Jobes is the best painter in the family.

Harry's decoy is probably worth around $50

Last edited:
I would agree with Hen Pintail - bill color, brown speculum, long and pointed tail. Only the eye color is wrong.

SJS

I googled some images. It is definitely a jobes. Thanks so much guys. Your knowledge always amazes me. It was a great find and I'm thrilled.

I believe it is a hen pintail paint job, and the elongated tail kind of indicates it may have been carved as a hen pintail originally. Yeah it looks like that Mitchell/Joiner/Jobes/Chesapeake school of carving and paint. Who? You need someone who is more knowledgeable on Chesapeake Bay decoys than I to parse that out......

I believe it is a recent repaint based on your pictures and the overpainting of the speculums. Most of the Mitchells and other Ches. Bay decoys of that genre I handled seemed to have the speculums painted in one of the last things, on top of the wing detail.

I think you scored if you like it as a decoy. Heck you can't hardly get a wooden, ready to paint decoy for $20 anymore, let alone one that is painted in that characteristic Chesapeake style, even a repaint. So to my way of thinking, you got a good deal.

If it is a repaint and you want to make it look a bit older, you can age it with a coat (or more ) of Old English dent and scratch remover. It is a dark furniture polish and oil you can get at most super markets and household stores. Put a coat on, let it dry 10 minutes to 1/2 hour or so, then polish it and remover the excess. Let that rubbed out and polished coat dry 24 hours, and add another coat if you want it darker. While I'd never do this with an original paint decoy, or even one in old, in use repaint, I have done it to my own restoration paint jobs to add 50 years of age with excellent results.

Tom,

Really looks like Capt. Harry's. When i first saw it i did think Vincenti, but as someone else pointed out, the paint is not clean enough for Pat (although i am not a carver and I definitely don't have the definitive eye). If you like, i can take a picture over to Charles Jobes and see if he has a better idea (my office is 10 minutes from his house and it gives me an excuse to head into Havre de Grace for lunch). I can also run it by Pat Vincenti...his shop is just on the other end of Havre de Grace.

John, love the rocker. I had Capt. Harry make one for each of my kids' first birthday...Paige got a can and Frankie got a Canada. Love 'em.

Frank

Frank, that would be great. Id like to know just out of curiosity. Are the pictures good enough quality? I can take close ups if necessary.

Thanks Jeff. If this does turn out to be one of capt. Harry's, I might have to take a trip down and have it signed. Let me know frank.

If u want to get it signed u should wait to the Haver de Grace decoy show. It's the 3rd, 4th, 5th of may. Capt Harry will be there. Def a must see if your into decoys!!!!

Back