Vintage Decoy Question for You guys

Ron Simmons

Hey guys, My wifes uncle gave us a vintage decoy some years back and I have been trying to find out something about it. It is a Bluewing Teal hen that appears to be carved in the Illinois River style of carving. The body is 2 piece construction with a hollow center and the the bottom is carved in a "V" shape. There is a small lead weight attached at the keel with the initials E.W. and a third one that is obscured by the screw that attachs it. The paint appears to be original and there is a little damage on the bill and tail. I am trying to find out if anyone might have an idea (or a guess) who the carver is. I'm not real concerned about the value as it is not leaving the family, but I am curious about any history that someone might have. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

View attachment P7050035.JPG
View attachment P7050040.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I am afriad I cannot help you, but I am sure if you looked up Jim D on the decoy carving website, Jim will be able to give you some help.

There are a number of well educated chaps on here so am sure you will get some feed back, If not try Jim, say scotty sent you.

Good luck.

Reminds me of a Stephen Lane Illinois river decoy.

That's a super decoy and desirable too.

Wait for Pat Gregory to respond. This is his area of experteise.

If you want a valuation send a picture to the auction house of Guyette+Schmidt at decoys@guyetteandschmidt.com

Last edited:
Paul, Thanks for the suggestion. I will try Jim D.
Jode, Thanks for the link and the suggestion about Pat. I know he is well versed on this type of decoy. Thanks again.

Thanks Derek. It is a neat piece. My wife's uncle was an avid antique collector and loved auctions. He was into collecting Sleighbells and the old toy steam engines. This decoy was in the bottom of a box of one or the other of these that he bid on and he gave it to my wife and I because he thought we would enjoy it. It was the start of my very small collection, but it is by far the best one I own.

Ron - Jode is correct. I would call this a Stephen Lane teal. The best way to confirm it is to call Gary Lane Meister at 309-925-3711. Gary is a 4th generation Lane decoy carver and a great friend of mine. He can tell you for sure.

Good call Jode!

I have to concur with Pat, It has a real Lane feel to it and reminds me of the (Coach House style) from Brinks>

regards,
B

Thanks Pat and B. I am always amazed by the depth of knowledge on this site and everyones willingness to help. Pat, I will give your friend a call after I try to get some better pictures of the decoy. Again Thanks for the information.
Ron

Back