Wader Boot Repair?

Pat M

Saturdays hunt was a giant cluster to say the least (late hunting buddies, motor problems, hole in waders, bad shell on the one duck that came in and over all uncoorperative ducks). But it was still better then working!!

I have about a 3 inch crack in the side of wader boot about an inch above the sole. (sorry no pics) Don't know how it happened, I wore them Tuesay. I didn't notice anything when I tossed them in the boat Friday night before leaving. Only think I can think of is something landed on them in the boat while driving.

What can I use to to fix this crack in therubber boot? They are an older cabela's brand wader with the rubber boot with 1200 grams of thinsulate.

I like Aquaseal - it's kept many a wader working longer. It holds good and it is stays flexible so it works well on the boots as well as the rest of the waders. I've used it on several things including boots and rubber boats. In fact I just fixed up a pair of my loaners this weekend.

Pat:

If the crack is in the rubber itself you might try an inner tube patch and rubber cement...should work as long as the crack isn't on a seam or hard to access place. In that case just coat it with rubber cement. There's also a product called Shoe Goo that might work. Probably just a glorified (and more expensive) form of rubber cement.

No promises, but what do you have to lose? Good luck.

Kevin

I second the Aquaseal. I've patched boots using a layer of Aquaseal over the tear and a patch of rubber (I used 3 ply wader material, canvas-rubber-canvas) over the Aquaseal. Patch holds well- only disadvantage is lack of flexibility in the patch area, but I think that will be the effect of almost any boot repair.

buy new waders........just do it now because you'll try this or that or the other thing and by mid December order new ones anyway......

Cabela's will take the back and you will get a allowance on another pair. Buddy of mine took a pair back that were umteen years old and received $100. off towards his new purchase.

Not anymore they won't. Cabela's changed their warrantee policy because too many people were bringing back stuff that was wore out. I believe they only go out 90 days now.

Pat,

The best I have used is Aqua-Seal. Sew up the rip first with regular carpet thread. Then coat the whole tear with Aqua-Seal and let it dry a couple of days. That repair will likely outlast your waders.

I had the same problem when I pulled out my knee high rubber boots a month ago.....I dropped the boot off at the local tire shop and had them patch it!! Cost me $5 and the repair seems to be holding up well.

Donivan

hey man ive been there plenty of times the best thing ive found is you go down to your local auto parts store and get a tire patch kit it comes with 2 round patches that have about a 3 inch diameter. take a wire brush and shuff the rubber up really good so the patch will stick the u take rubber cement and coat both the boot and the patch with it. hold the patch on the boot and masking tape it so the patch can dry. (if you use duct tape it will leave the duct tape residue on the boot) give it about 6 hours and you bull be good to go. but make sure you do not wrap the tape to tight otherwise it will disort the shape of the boot and the patch wont word right.

I'm kinda hung up on his use of the word "older". is it a tear, or dry rot that turned into a tear? If you have cracks, time to replace. Why ruin a day in the field with a wet foot, then have to pay an extra thirty bucks to the Fed Ex man to express a new pair when it fails again....

Back