Waterfowling and decoy history...

Pat Gregory

Here are some shots of my great grandpa, George "Homerun" Barto. He carved and hunted on the Illinois River for over 60 years beginning in the late 1800's. He also made duck calls. He was a local legend in our hometown and during the depression, killed ducks to pass out door to door so his neighbors had food. I appreciate all he did and the roots he gave me in waterfowling. Also some shots with each of our decoys. Probably 60-70 years difference between the two...

Think about starting a legacy in your home. What do you want your family and friends to remember about you? I thank God for the great sport of waterfowling! Pat

Skippy.jpg

Skippy2.jpg

BartoGregoryGeese.jpg

BartoGregoryCans.jpg

BartoGregoryScaup.jpg

Amazing Pat, what a great history that you have there in waterfowling. Those old photos are worth a million bucks.

Pat thanks for sharing, those are some cool shots for sure. You have a striking resemblance in your IL river style...Love the side by sides!

Zach

I'll bet that is not fastgrass on the blind..: )....

Looks like an A-5 and a Mod 12.... Any idea what the guns are??

Thanks for sharing Pat. You should be proud of that family tree! I hope to pass the love of the outdoors to my boys instead of play stations. They each receive a decoy for their birthday and Parker, my oldest, turns 2 tomorrow! I might not be able to sleep tonight.

God Bless,
Brian

beautiful birds and way to go on keeping that tradition alive. now im really looking forward to getting one of your birds with all the history and lessons complied into the latest in a long line of decoys.

i only wish i had such a story

eddie

You're making your story Ed! I appreciate your contributions to the great sport of waterfowling. Also, I decided to take 6 of my whistlers to Westlake. Hope to see you there. God bless! Pat

Pat,

I really enjoy the history of decoys and carvers. what a great legacy to carry on.
I wonder how many Duck eatin Musky plaques Great Grandpa every made? :) Could'nt resist. My Big Mean Green was always one of my favorite fun carvings.

Can't wait for Pheasant run maybe I'll get lucky and find a Barto! Course for my price range I'd have to find it in the hands of an angry and vengfull wife.

Heres my humble attempt at decoy legacy. I hope I can be a Great Grandad one day.

Photo 19.jpg

Now that I look at the blind again.. I noticed how low that blind is... It looks like it was only waist high...
Seems kinda low... My blinds hit me about lower chest high.. On the other hand No Corn for me........
What year was this, 50's ?

Do you still have the Mod 12 and was it in white?
John

Nice photos Pat. Did your father or Grandfather carve, or is this a recessive gene that skips two generations?

Thanks for posting,

Chuck

Awesome! Simply awesome! I thank God for the awesome kids and grandkids you have. I can see the excitement in their faces. You have lots to be proud of. God bless!

Late 40's, early 50's. A cousin has the Model 12. I believe his hunting garb is a brown duck material... The blind is at Millsdale Road in Joliet, Illinois. The water is 5-6 feet and about 3 foot of silt... I hunted this blind with the old boy in the blind with him in the 80's. Much to my surprise, when he dumped the bag of decoys in the bottom of the boat, 4 of great grandpa's decoys fell out. I didn't have the heart to tell him their value. They were only tools to him...

Chuck - The decoy carving is on my mom's side. I was 1 year old when great grandpa died. None of his boys carved. I learned from Art Behemetuik who was one of two guys who grandpa taught to carve. Learning to carve decoys has been a real blessing in my life. I have met many great people by it and thank God for the gift...

Thanks for asking brother! I appreciate your interest is this history and am thankful we share the great sport of waterfowling!

Pat,

It's too bad you missed out on learning from your great grandpa (directly or indirectly). However it is great that you have picked the tradition back up.

My great grandfather was a turn of the last century home builder in northern Ohio and I have one of his wooden tool chests which had been stored in barns for over 50 years before I recieved it. I refinished it, put new casters on it and use it to hold my own tools now.

Chuck

Pat - What a great family tradition and the photo is a corker. I notice that there is a righty and a southpaw shooting with their barrels fairly close as opposed to how it would be if they were to swap sides........wonder if each had a favorite side and where the empty hulls flew ?
Decoys old and new are very nice.
sarge

Back