Went on a scouting run yesterday

Al Hansen

Since my Mule has been in the hospital for a while, I sure was glad to get my mechanic back from Michigan. My Kawasaki Mule died on August 9th and I decided to wait for Mac, instead of bringing it to the dealership. To be blunt, paying at least $100.00 an hour to have it fixed was not an option. When Mac arrived he found the culprit right away. It was in the rear left hub where the splines are or should be. This hub had none. Mac pointed out the amount of rust in this area. So I ordered my new part. That, too, was a shock to the system because it was $316.00. It got here in a week and Mac came over right away. Within 15 to 20 minutes it was installed and he said I was good to go. Well, I had to secure the cowling for that houses the belt and that was no fun, but it is done.

So, yesterday at 2PM, I got Belize and Sunny to jump up on the seat with me and we headed out to scout for ducks. Just prior to that I did look at my phone to see what the temperature was and kind of said really warm. It was 97F. Funny how scouting for ducks can make you rationalize uncomfortable situations like driving the Mule 15mph and thinking that makes one cooler when it is 97F outside.

Our season opens on Saturday the 12th of September. I am super excited about this just because there is still some water left in the pond that I like to hunt. For the past two years I have not hunted the early teal season because it has been so dry. Funny how you don't forget certain times and on this particular day, which was a Sunday in early August, Bev ordered a Domino's pizza and I had to run to town to get it. I have to admit that it sure looked like we might get some rain with how dark the clouds were but nothing much was happening yet. At 5:00PM I got to the drive up window at Domino's and got my pizza. It was sprinkling a bit and I remember smiling because the last time it rained was back in April.
When I pulled out onto the main drag in Socorro, all of a sudden it poured like there might not be a tomorrow. With the wipers on full blast, I headed home. When I was about 1 mile from our house, I found myself slowing down and following a very large front end loader that the state highway department uses. He was driving as fast as he could and when we got into the village of Luis Lopez, where we live just on the outskirts before heading for San Antonio, NM, he stopped in the middle of the highway blocking the road. I pulled over to the bank of Post Office boxes where we get our mail and began checking out what was happening. The arroyo that we have on the north side of our 7 acres was running across the highway. Normally when it is just running even I will venture across in our Prius. Well, this huge front end loader did not venture out in this very fast moving river that was blocking the highway. I went to grab my phone and then remembered that I had forgotten it on the livingroom table by my chair. So, since the rain had abated some, I dashed over to talk to the driver of the loader. I ended up giving him two pieces of pizza so I could use his phone to call Bev. I could see our home up on the hill but there was no way I could get home. The driver told me that the arroyo he was going to was the first one south of our place and that was running harder than this one, which sure looked like the Colorado River during spring runoff. Well, that might be an old timer's reaction I guess. It was good to talk with Bev and I said, "See you when the river subsides and most likely the pizza will be cold."

I got to this spot which is 1/4 mile from our home at 5:15PM and at 7:30PM, when the front end loader had completed his job of clearing the highway of the debris, rocks, and gravel, I was the last vehicle to drive through the stream still running across the highway and found myself waiting for the garage door to open. After handing Bev what was left of the pizza, she told me she had eaten already and that we could have the left overs tomorrow. The last thing I mentioned prior to watching a favorite program of ours was this. "Bev, you should see our driveway. It looks like what the Grand Canyon must have looked like after that first big gully washer event. I have to call Ted and see if he can run over tomorrow and help us out." He is our neighbor only a 1/2 mile to the south of us and has been fixing our driveway for the past 23 years. I am thinking since we live in the desert southwest and in the midst of a climate change that maybe Ted has graded our driveway 8 to 10 times. Just a guess on my part.

Well, some of that water from that day in August is still in that pond I hunt and boy was it fun to pull up to it yesterday. Here is what I saw.
Al

I did some figuring while I was there checking out a spot for a blind and for me to be able to hunt this year of 2020 means that 66 years ago, I shot my first duck, a bluewing teal, in western Minnesota. Yes, I was the wide eyed kid of 13 thinking it couldn't get any better than this. Well, it has---now even though I am an old phart, I still found myself smiling when I saw that the water was still there and then to add a flock of about 40 bluewings/cinnamons made that smile much broader.

View attachment _MG_0071.JPG

View attachment _MG_9981.JPG

View attachment _MG_9992.JPGView attachment _MG_0016.JPG

View attachment _MG_0024.JPG

View attachment _MG_0027.JPG

View attachment _MG_0073.JPG

We enjoy eating pancakes on Sunday morning. So do our big pups. Yesterday, Sunny, Belize, Casa and new comer, Jalapeno shared two left over pancakes just for them. This is the only people food they ever get. I take small pieces to make it last longer. The only time they can react is when they hear their name called. Then it is their turn for a tasty morsel. By the way, Jalapeno aka Jali has that bigger than a house look. She,no doubt will be the game changer when it comes to hunting teal. I'm thinking that it will be around the 12th when she has her pups. Oh well, I love being involved when mom's have their pups.

The last pup from Belize's litter of 6 yellow pups, left yesterday when we had a family from Tucson, AZ drive over to pick up their pup. I was thrilled to see them because they had told me how excited they were to get Rebel. Not only that, this pup will be trained to retireve ducks! Nothing could be better. Half of the pups stayed in New Mexico and then Rebel went to Tucson, Bianka is now living in Fort Collins, CO and Scout found out how much he loves grass that he found in San Jose, CA. All of these folks drove to our area to pick up their new pups. Covid 19 has made some huge impacts on the way people purchase pups.
View attachment _MG_9937.JPG

To all of you going on your first hunt or first hunt of many hunts, best of luck to you.

View attachment _MG_9351.JPG

This last shot is a favorite of mine. I captured it in August when we had been invaded by a herd of hummingbirds. It has been years since we have seen so many. Years ago in the early 2000s we had hummers here that were consuming 3 gallons of nectar per day. There were times when we saw 200 hummingbirds trying to get something to eat at one of our 5 feeders.

This year was like bringing back the good ol' days. Not quite so many but enough to have fun with my camera. From the last week of July to the end of August we averaged 1 1/2 gallons of nectar per day. There was a period of time that 2 gallons were being consumed. You can't help but smile when you have 75 to 100 hummingbirds flitting around your feeders, creating a fuss here and there and always making sounds by voice or the hum of their wings. They won't be here much longer. In a couple of days it will be 93F for the high in the afternoon and the following morning it is supposed to drop to around 41 or 42F. They will be on their way to Mexico no doubt. I will leave the feeders out just in case we have some stragglers which will be made up of broadtails and or black-chinned hummers.

View attachment _MG_5161.JPG

Great stories and photos as always!

Hope you have a good teal opener.

Water out for those buzz worms!

Al, was just thinking of you the past few days. It's been just over a year since my Alaska trip which makes me think of my New Mexico trip as well which was in October, man how time flies.

Glad to see you are doing well and that the weather seemed to turn out good this year for the ducks, hope you can get out there and put Chip to work on some retrieves.

Hope you have plenty of widgeon later in the season as well.

Good morning, Al~

Wonderful tale and photos as always! All that cold pizza, though....leaves me chilled.....

We envy you your Hummingbirds. Susan refills our single feeder with a cup or so of nectar every few days.

All the best,

SJS

Doug Bowman, it is great to hear from you because I have some exciting news for you. Do you remember that cute chocolate pup you handed me last year on August 1st when I was at your home? I like this shot of you and Rico.

View attachment _MG_8656.JPG

Doug, that was a 2, 452 mile round trip for me to make and I will say this. I have never regretted one mile of that trip when I got Rico. He is flat out awesome. Loves to retrieve, loves having feathers in his mouth and of course he goes nuts about water. Not only that, this guy is a stud. Bev is giving me nothing but grief because I am hoping and praying that Jalapeno has her pups today or tomorrow. My dear wife is telling me that she will have her pups on the morning of the 12th. That is when our teal season opens. She loves doing this.
Al

View attachment _MG_9962.JPG

View attachment _MG_2611.JPG

View attachment _MG_5257.JPG

View attachment _MG_5262.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the reply, Phil. I hope this year that we get to see a lot of pictures of Otter bringing you ducks.
Al

Phil, this little tyke left for Tucson, AZ on Sunday. His new name is Buddy and he will be trained to retrieve ducks.

View attachment _MG_9351.JPG

Last edited:
Al,

I doubt I will hunt the opener here (again) this year. My plan is to get out and do some afternoon hunts/scouting trips on Tampa Bay once the season opens to get a feel for where the birds are and what the tide level will be.
I may also start doing a little digging around to see if I can find some private land to hunt.
We;ll see how it goes.

That cinnamon is one pretty bird! Good luck!

Ben, it is good to hear from you again. I hope your wife and sons are doing well. It sure sounds as if you have expanded your horizons while working. Next time you get up to Alaska, who knows but you might find yourself fishing the Russian River/Kenai River. I found out back in the early 70s that it was more fun fishing all night because there was no competition since they were all back at the park across the river.

Will you be bringing one of your sons on duck hunts this year or are they a bit too young?

Best of luck to you, Ben.
Al

Took these first three shots on 9-5-20 when it was in the cool part of the early morning. It quickly went from 66F to 98F later that afternoon.
View attachment _MG_9501.JPG

View attachment _MG_9629.JPGView attachment _MG_9740.JPG

These shots were taken about 1 hour ago today, the 9th of Sept. It is 43F out. I thought when I got up that all the hummers would be out of here for sure since it is snowing in the northern part of the state. Boy, was I ever wrong. We had another large group of migrating hummers stop in for some quick energy drinks. They sipped 1/2 gallon of nectar in less than 7 hours. I quickly refilled them then added two more feeders to try and accommodate those hummers trying to eat. With our 4 feeders we have a total of 28 feeding stations. It was nuts out there. There were many instances where all the stations had a hummer feeding and a like number happened to be flying around trying to get in so that they could eat also. Sorry about the poor pictures. We had dark clouds and a drizzle all day long. When I brought out one of the refill feeders and was about to hang it up, one hummer landed and started to feed.

This first shot below has 12 hummers.

View attachment IMG_0296.JPG

There are 11 hummers in the last shot. It is hard to see but right in the middle of the feeders up front, there is one standing on the rail sipping nectar while one is flying above its head "sharing" the good stuff.

View attachment IMG_0298.JPG

Last edited:
Steve, I would love to be in the blind when you shoot that very first duck, left handed. Now do you think it will be a woodie or a black duck? Are you thinking of mounting that first duck? Good luck and may the duck-hunting gods be with you.
Al

Got this when Bev and I were shopping at Costco last week. My wonderful wife thought it would be only fitting to celebrate the upcoming duck season with it. I believe it comes from New Zealand.

View attachment _MG_9443.JPG

Hi Paul,
Thanks so much for the comments you made. I will keep my fingers crossed that there will be a few ducks that pass through this normally very dry southwestern high desert. I drove my Mule around ending up at the Rio Grande. Even though it rained last night where we ended up with over an inch of rain, there was no water in the river. Maybe tomorrow it will once again run. Since the first of June, our Rio Grande has been totally dry down here. We had some great rains, all within a 6 day period at the end of July. Then the river ran and quite high. But it dried up again. I am thinking that if we don't get sufficient moisture, the only time we will is when they shut agriculture down on the 31st of October. Then all the water that had been diverted to irrigation ditches will once again begin to flow down the Rio Grande. No two years are a like down here. Saying all that, I still plan on having fun looking for places to hunt. One day at a time.

Good luck to you when your season opens.
Al

View attachment _MG_0241.JPG

View attachment _MG_0244.JPG

At the time I took these pictures we had sustained winds out of the east between 25mph and 30mph. Most of the teal swam to the shoreline and found some comfort. Our temps yesterday afternoon hit the 90sF and this morning when I got up at 4:30 it was 41F. I drove back out to the pond after breakfast and it was void of ducks. Since it had rained so darn hard for a while when I got home it took me a long time to wash off all that clay based material.

I don't know about you, Paul, but for me, when I see these drake cinnamon teal all I can do is hope that this coming January when the reverse migration begins, that once again these beautiful teal will be up here from Mexico. They are a very special duck.

View attachment _MG_0251.JPG

Paul, here is a shot I took a few years ago in the springtime.

View attachment drake cinnamon.jpg

What incredible pictures! I'll be down in the Louisiana Gulf marsh to for the last week of teal season. I have harvested 1000's of Bluewings over the last 45 years but never a Cinnamon. One day I need to venture further West and try to find a few of those beautiful little ducks!

Al,
Glad to hear it was only your mule which was in the hospital. Please post pictures of the new pups. Always nice to watch them grow. My Ginger is getting old and gray, there will be a day coming in which she will need replaced. Not sure I'm ready for a bundle of new energy.

Hope you have a good season.

Carl, after reading what you are going to do, I like that. This time of the year you will learn a lot and right up through the end of January when our season is over. It will give you ample time to meet people and if they seem promising, you will be able to see them once again. Best of luck to you.
Al

Paul, we get a lot of teal down here and they first start coming in late August or the first of Sept. Many of them all look the same---brown. The majority of these early teal are adult males. The ducks that are now beginning to show up are the juveniles. Once again not every cinnamon teal begins to change like what I have shown you on the photos that I have taken recently. When you go hunting, just for fun do this one thing with every teal you shoot. Look at its eye. If it is brown it is a bluewing. If it is red then you are holding a cinnamon teal. As the season continues, you know when your bluewing drakes have that half moon, if you ever saw that first cinnamon in your hand, that would be about as rare as the hunter from Mississippi, who shot a pintail banded in one of the northern islands of Japan. By the way we get a lot of our teal from southeastern Alberta.
Al

View attachment cinnamon with red eyes.jpg

View attachment bluewing with brown eyes.jpg

View attachment bonding flight.jpg

Paul, I thought you might enjoy these. This is a group of spoonbills and cinnamon teal doing what is called Bonding Flights. This normally takes place here at Bosque del Apache NWR towards the second half of February and the beginning of March. I happened to capture these two shots in March. I saw flying by ducks that I had never seen before with the exception of flocks of pintails and I am referring to whiffling, that light geese do so much along with Canadas. They sure look like they are flying upside down sometimes with their feet pointing straight up into the sky but then when you look at their heads, they are squared away with the world!

View attachment bonding flight 2.jpg

Hey Dave, it is good hear from you. Not too long ago as I was thinking about Covid 19, I thought of you and remembered the time you went to Ely, MN and set off with your canoe into the Arrowhead Region. As for me I was thinking of the time I went on a Dall sheep hunt by myself and told my pilot that I would meet him at this very spot in 15 days.

Right now as I type this, Dave, Jalapeno is stretched out in her whelping box looking huge. When they are born I will begin posting the litter. We have families that can hardly wait for this occasion. If she had a litter of 17, they would all have a family to go to. Covid 19 is directly responsible for some of the demand. Crazy times.
Al

Dave, here is Jalapeno's litter from 2019. I had my duck dog, Chip, breed her and she had a litter of 10 blacks. Chip's dad is black and mother is yellow. Check out the little tyke sound asleep on its back. Cute

View attachment IMG_2407.JPG

Al, I am very ready to go back to Alaska but will probably have to use my own resources next time instead of the companies. Possibility of going civil service next year instead of contractor which would affect things like working trips like in the past.

I took my oldest out last Saturday for opening dove season, he is not quite big enough to handle the gun yet at 7 years old. But he is learning on marking birds and retrieving them. He will probably tag a long quite a few more times this year.

The youngest is 2 now and will be a handful when he gets old enough to come along. And I also have a 3rd due in March, won't know what we are having until a little over a month from now though.

Some excellent photos, I still want to try and make it back out there sometime and have the family come, hopefully it will happen.

Back