What is your prefered open water duck boat?

cjduncan

I now have a 12' BBSB but the Chessie is way to big to hunt out if it. Need a bigger boat.

I have been looking at purchasing a 20' Lund Alaskan for sea duck hunting. The boat looks sturdy and perfect for the salt.

What would be your pick for open water sea ducking.

Cjduncan
" Once you go Big Brown Chessie , you'll never go back"

CJ, I would have to say there is no better "big water" boat then a Duckwaters, they make a real nice 18 that would be real sturdy and safe for the big water up in Mass.

Chris D

I had a 20' Alaskan for 8 years. I sea duck hunt off Maine's coast. The Alaskan is a great boat with 2 issues- It MUST have enough power- do not go lite on motor- I had a 70hp Johnson and never felt I had enough to push all the weight I carried off shore- (which is the bigger reasons I sold the boat)...

The floor absorbed water- I bought the boat used, and the weight was significantly heavier than a new boat- combine these two issues, and it was not a good off shore boat.

With that said, I would buy a NEW correctly powered Alaskan in a second if I were looking for a boat.

HUtch

Bankes 17 or bigger. That is the cats meow. Very good hull shape under the chine and very well built. Power is up to you and who you use for local service.
If I had the cash and didint have a welding shop to build my own out of plate aluminum that is what I would run for a factory built boat.
A custom wood hull would work well also if you built the decks up to give the protection of the extra freeboard. Doubles as a start to your blind.
Call Pit Boss (Jeff Coates 410-937-4034) and ask him a few questions. He runs the bigger hull.

Bob

Can't go wrong with a 20' Alaskan. I hunted/guided with one for 6 years. Great boats, had a 75 Honda on mine, never felt under powered while hunting, maybe tubing but not hunting. I didn't care for the low transom, felt like I could back myself under if not careful, but great hulls and overall a very safe boat. Also makes for a great bay boat in the summer. If I were buying over again, and just a duck boat per say, I'd buy a Duckwater 21' and not look back.

I like the Banks.. but I just don't like the fiberglass.. My dream boat is a Duckwater 23 Ocean....with twin Yamaha 150's.... Otherwise my 20' Devlin Honker is a much more economical option for me.

D20_0259.jpg

I now have a 12' BBSB but the Chessie is way to big to hunt out if it. Need a bigger boat.

I have been looking at purchasing a 20' Lund Alaskan for sea duck hunting. The boat looks sturdy and perfect for the salt.

What would be your pick for open water sea ducking.
I have a 17ft banks boat with a 75 honda on it and it does about 30knots. I love my boat its built to be in the open water and is built right, no doubt about it. Think about the size if i had to do it over again i would buy the 19ft. 17ft is good if your planning on taking it in the meadow and the open water but if your just hunting open water get the bigger boat, but these boat are not cheap and if you get one you will find out that the qualitily is there. Its a boat for a life time

Cjduncan
" Once you go Big Brown Chessie , you'll never go back"

My personal/preferred tender is a 22' Starcraft with a 140 hp V-4 hanging on the back. It'll handle most of what Lake St. Clair can throw at us.
I can haul 8-10 drums (55 gallon plastic drums) of decoys, about 250 decoys.
Lou

With cover on...nice an warm/protected from wind.

lou, love that boat! is that a starcraft mariner? im looking for a mariner or fishmaster or superfisherman to re build. best, mark

My personal/preferred tender is a 22' Starcraft with a 140 hp V-4 hanging on the back. It'll handle most of what Lake St. Clair can throw at us.
I can haul 8-10 drums (55 gallon plastic drums) of decoys, about 250 decoys.
Lou
lou, love that boat! is that a starcraft mariner? im looking for a mariner or fishmaster or superfisherman to re build. best, mark

HI Mark,
YEs, I believe it is a mariner. I'm very pleased with it's performance and "backing down" when setting/resetting mother lines is no problem at all.
Lou

We run two 20ft Alaskans with 90hp Hondas on them and a 22ft Starcraft Mariner with a 150hp Honda...All great open water boats...

downsized951029111522b.jpg

We prefer to use the open style boats as opposed to a duckwater or bankes style simply because of the three styles of hunting we do...If we were hunting strictly from the big boats then I would be all for a duckwater...

Last edited:
I have an 18.5 Duckwater Ocean Series. I have been out in some pretty big waves ,mostly unintentionally, and it handled well and felt very stable. It has a lot of room for hunters and all their gear and dogs. I have hunted four guys and two dogs out of it and is still comfortable. I am looking to down size so if you are interested drop me a line. For what it is worth i have heard great things about the Lund alaskans as well. Best of luck, Jeff

I run a 20 ft Alaskan with a F115 for sea duck hunting. It has been a great boat . I have had it in seas coming back in that you don't want to be in and its handled them great.
IMAG0427.jpg

Nice boat! How shallow of water can it go in? Bottom looks rather flat with a V front .Looks like it ought to be a versatile boat.

Thanks , I've never run her in any water probably shallower than 3 ft . It's a 20 ft lund alaskan with a modified v. While not a deep v I think the picture makes it look more flat bottom than it actually is .

IMG_20101020_155028.jpg

Thanks for all the advice and pictures.. I have decided on the 20' lund Alaskan. Think that this would be the best all around boat for me.

Now I just have too sell the BBSB, outboards and trailer... Wife will make me sleep in the lund if I don't sell them...Bummer!

"Wife will make me sleep in the lund if I don't sell them..." and that's a bad thing??? Said by a guy who slept on the couch one nite last week. Hehehehehehe :>)Trip.

Back