What species was your first decoys?

Bufflehead, for two reasons: One, I could cut the side profile before I had bought a riser block, and two, if I couldn't figure out how to paint it "properly" then I could paint it black and white and still gun it.

Drake Ruddy, not sure why.

ruddyrepaint.jpg

Lou - I didn't know you're a product of the Snow School of Decoys? I knew Walt well and knew Ron. They did lots for decoy carving... I do have a Walt mallard hen for sale if you know of any one looking...

Take care and God bless!

I carved a dozen Canvasbacks, one after the other. I still have a few, some went as donations, others were traded. It taught me how to use the tools, how to SEE ROUND, how to use the paints. It made the next species much easier.

Lou - I didn't know you're a product of the Snow School of Decoys? I knew Walt well and knew Ron. They did lots for decoy carving... I do have a Walt mallard hen for sale if you know of any one looking...

Take care and God bless!

Yup, a product of the Snows. ;) I truly enjoyed the classes, back in the shop behind the garage, heated with cedar in an old pot belly stove. That was in '83...man how time flies.

My buddy, Gene Chandler (E.Allen) took some classes from Walt if I recall. Looks like we've got all the bases covered. ;)
Whatcha asking for the Walt Hen? Got some pics?
Lou

Last edited:
Bluebill, although my friends thought it would be more at home in the NFL than on the water. I handed it to my buddy and he sent another friend, deep!

Blue wing teal. I made 6 of them over about two years. Painted the first one as a hermaphrodite. Male head with a female body. There were some kind souls that helped me get the paint fixed up.

Back