What Sportdog said.

Yukon Mike

Collar was new in Septl of 2010. They sent me a new free battery for the collar in spring of 2011 because it wasn't taking a charge by then. This one stopped working this fall, 2013. While I was gone that year (almost 10 months) I left it on the charger, so I think I got about a year and a half of use on that new battery.

The guy said those batteries have a finite number of charges in them, somewhere around 350. That means if I put it back on the charger every day I will get about a year out of it. He said on a full charge I can expect 15 to 20 hours of functional time on the collar part, and double that on the transmitter. I'd say that's about what I've found to be true, maybe less in winter temperatures. I use the collar a lot in the winter to make sure Jenny doesn't chase caribou and stuff. Its usually good for 1 day before the range just isn't there. On multi day trips with no way to charge it after the first day its not functional.

On the website it says the batteries will recharge in 2 hours, but I've never found that - more like 8.

So, in the end, I paid for two new batteries for $75 which will buy me some time to figure out what brand of collar I'm going to buy as a replacement.

The guy was very helpful over the phone.

Mike

Tri-tronics is worth the money. never had an issue with any of their collars i have owned. I wish i was home to know the model of the collar I have... i do know its at least 10 years old... and I have always had a two dog collar model - that way i have one as backup should one fail or lose its charge... The one I have now is currently a 1-dog... i have lost a collar somewhere with it being out of commission for 3 years as I was dog-less... again.. the collar setup and not charged for 3 years... hooked them up to charge and i have been using now for 2 years. (Lincoln is 2) knock-on wood. :) - Vic

I use Tritronics also. I replaced my old style "Flyway Special" (after 11 years with no issues) with a new style "Flyway G3" last year. Tritronics has a trade in program that gives you a discount. The new model has a smaller transmitter, is more user friendly to charge, and collar has a switch to turn off instead of using transmitter for on/off. I recommend the Tracer light accessory also, keeps your dog visible when it's dark. I have no experience with the multiple dog features.

- Mark

yeah - i have had a variety of collars for my upland dogs thru the years

the only ones that have not given me issues is Tritronics

Tritronics is also my choice Though I am not sure it is working anymore.
I bought the best they had 20 years ago then used if for 10 years then sent it back for reconditioning when I bought another dog 10 years ago. I used a for a few years till the dog was trained.

I've had very good luck with Dogtra collars. I don't use a lot of corrections but new batteries can last weeks before I recharge.
Just another option, John

For me it is TriTronics. Their service department was very good to me when I had an issue with a charger. Been a long time ago and the details are kinda fuzzy but the fact remains that if I need another collar it will be Tri Tronics. Good Luck

Mike another thumbs up for Tritronics here. I have a multi-dog Pro 500, with the tube transmitter.
I bought a holster for it from Lion Country Supply and am extremely happy with the entire setup.
1 mile range up to 3 dogs can be controlled, very easy unit to use.

Doug

Back