Whats the correct way to "steer" a following wave in a BBSB

Zach Houvener

Guys I have a quick question about when operating a BBSB. Like many know I have a 12' classic barnegat with a 5hp Mercury 2 stroke on the back. I've never been in a situation yet where I havent had to worry about waves coming up and over the back of the boat but figure I'd ask anyway what the correct way to navigate a body of water when you are going with the wind and the waves coming from behind? Go straight with the crest? Quarter into them, away? I really dont know, and would like some potentially life saving advice for anyone who ever gets stuck in that situation.

Taking a break from the books,

Zach

Small following sea is relative to the size of the boat,and power.For a 12 footer,the BBSB has the advantage of being decked,with a small cockpit.Straight downwind,or nearly so in small manageable waves,with the power you have,but there will come a point where you will need to head up into the waves,and finally deploy a sea anchor off the bow,and continued power.You're in an AW Shxxx situation at this point,but can stay afloat slowly going downwind untill the seas subside,or you fiund a lee island,point,etc.Best thing is stay in a safe place before attempting a questionable navigation.What's a few hours or a day or two,compared to the rest of your life.Someone will chime in with personal experience,I'm sure.

"Oh God,the sea is so large,and my boat is so small"

Zach,

Generally you can just go down wind or slightly oblique and you will be fine. The difficulty comes in when you exceed the waves and/or boat characteristics that make a nice run into a "oh crap" sphincter muscle exercise session. When the height and period of the waves get to a point where you are in real danger of burying the bow in the back end of the wave in front of you as you come down the crest of the one you are on - you are in danger if you are not careful. The solution is to ride the crest of a wave all the way in IF you have enough reserve power to stay up on top. That sounds easier than it is as it's not that easy to continually match the speed of a wave especially if you are underpowered. If your BBSB is a displacement hull I would think you would get a lot of lift from the aft end and make riding waves in easier but I have never been in a true BBSB so can't say for sure.

Hull design (planing or displacement) boat length, wave height to period ratio all make a difference in whether you will just ride it out or fight it all the way in.

The best advice is to gain a lot of experience in your boat so you know how it's going to react in those situations. When it gets too hairy you do like Joe said and deploy a sea anchor and let the wind/waves push you backwards slowly. It might take awhile but you will be alive.

Some of my most difficult time on the water has been in following seas - I really don't like it. My hand is always on the throttle and constantly watching the waves. Nerve racking to be sure.

Zach, Pete hit it very well as did Joe in the lines of safety. I do not hunt huge water but find myself in some big rolling stuff and since I'm running a 3 hp on my BBSB I find myself at the mercy of the SPEED of the wave. The hull design takes care of me quite naturally and its pretty cool to be "surfing" a wave crest in a 12' cedar boat. Try slowing down to match the wave speed and and you'll see why everyone refers to the BBSB as very seaworthy. Best to you, did you ever use that pattern I sent? - Jim

Thanks all for the reply's! Very useful information that I could use if I ever do get caught in swells larger then I want to be.

Jim, I actually just dug it out the other day and will plan on using it for a big bobtail cork rig I am "planning" on getting down this off season. I really love the looks of your old blocks...by the way do you have in profile shots of those decoys at all? You can PM me if you would like!

Zach

Agree with all of the above - would add that getting in the boat in some summer weather conditions will give you good and safer experience. I have a Cackler with a 25 and while that boat can't go fast to weather in much chop I can control that thing in any kind of following sea. If you have any big boat traffic around, practice wake riding - we have some tugboats that throw some serious waves and we can "surf" them quite a ways. Learn how to stay on the wave or ease off and angle slightly to let it pass under you. I'm going to try to find a youtube of some serious inlet waves.

Hi Zach - I have the same boat with an 8 on it (little more power than needed). I agree with what's been posted - if you can safely run between the waves stay on the back of a wave at a slight angle. I have had mine in waves a little over 2 feet on occasion and proceeded carefully without a problem. There are a number of other safety points that you are likely aware of - pfd, lanyard, etc. One thing I have noticed - if you are running a motor in a shallow water position and then reach deeper water - remember to drop the motor back to regular position. If not, when you increase speed it drives the stern down.

Safe Hunting !

sarge

The 1st one.... I thought the surfers were going to be schmucked!!!!

and did you see the guy getting airborne in the second one?!

Zach,

All the info given sounds good but the best advise I can give it to check the weather forecast and be prepared. Don't get cought in a situation that can be avoided. Get some time in on the boat, practice running in less than ideal conditions. I have had my BBSB's out in some real nasty stuf. They can handle it but you may not have the skill to do so yet, so practice, practice, and practice. Just don't let the boat get ahead of the wave and stuff the bow. Have a line tied to a forward cleat to hold onto and ride the boat like a surfboard. They can handle more than you think in the right hands. You can apply this technique for larger boats also. I have been in situations where I had to surf a 70' boat in thru 20' seas. It's not fun untill you master your skills then it will become a little less stressful. Still not fun but manageable.

Be safe and good luck

The beauty of that hull is that the stern is turned up much like the bow, so following seas will lift it up and go under the hull. Handle it as you would a larger boat in the ocean. Stay in the sweet spot of the wave if the waves become steep or close together. Take it out in the summer for some clamming to gain expierience

Back